Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:30 pm 

The Raptor we see in combat using missiles on the show is identical with the exception of added external stores-namely lots of missiles and 2 gun-pods ...

doesnt look like much of a gunship, and Helo specifically states they are on "Missile Picket duty" ( I think..I will check) more of an attack plane/Dive Bomber/Torpedo Bomber/ multi-purpose craft-,I dont dispute a Gunship version existing, its just not that, I would imagine it more like "Spooky" or "Puff the Magic Dragon", but I dont think Raptors could carry the necessary ammo for a large beam mounted gun battery for continually orbiting a target and bombarding it for extended periods...thats why I think its more a strike/attack/bomber-drop your eggs and go home...something larger would be better for a Gunship...I think the Colonial Marines would be the owner/operators of Gunships...more for planetary and assault actions...fire support for the troops...eh whatever ya like...

the Raptor really reminds me of an SBD Dauntless from WW2, it was a Scout-Dive-Bomber and occasionally fought other aircraft (shooting down flying boats and seaplanes not fighters..I understand), or even the TBM Avenger its Torpedo carrying cousin, these planes were the first to receive early AEW radar, flew scouting, bombing, patrol, anti-ship, courier and other missions, the Avenger could carry a crew of 3 the Dauntless 2...pretty close to the Raptor...

Chall quite correct about service lives of aircraft, C-130 is a great example( possible exception BF-109 most produced fighter in histroy and retained in front line service long after it became obsolescent)...also yes I agree the airframe is same and internals are different on the Razor Version, only makes sense...look at the A-6B intruder and the EA-6B Prowler...same plane almost...different electronics suite...different crew...different mission...the Prowler could pretty much only carry HARM anti-radiation missiles, whereas the Intruder could carry nearly any weapon in the arsenal...neither had a gun...(F-4 Phantom Disease like building a plane without a wing...)

OH bloody hell I digress...sorry

have a great weekend, I am wargaming tonight so I am getting everything I wanted...

whadda ya hear? :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:31 pm 

The Raptor we see in combat using missiles on the show is identical with the exception of added external stores-namely lots of missiles and 2 gun-pods ...

doesnt look like much of a gunship, and Helo specifically states they are on "Missile Picket duty" ( I think..I will check) more of an attack plane/Dive Bomber/Torpedo Bomber/ multi-purpose craft-,I dont dispute a Gunship version existing, its just not that, I would imagine it more like "Spooky" or "Puff the Magic Dragon", but I dont think Raptors could carry the necessary ammo for a large beam mounted gun battery for continually orbiting a target and bombarding it for extended periods...thats why I think its more a strike/attack/bomber-drop your eggs and go home...something larger would be better for a Gunship...I think the Colonial Marines would be the owner/operators of Gunships...more for planetary and assault actions...fire support for the troops...eh whatever ya like...

the Raptor really reminds me of an SBD Dauntless from WW2, it was a Scout-Dive-Bomber and occasionally fought other aircraft (shooting down flying boats and seaplanes not fighters..I understand), or even the TBM Avenger its Torpedo carrying cousin, these planes were the first to receive early AEW radar, flew scouting, bombing, patrol, anti-ship, courier and other missions, the Avenger could carry a crew of 3 the Dauntless 2...pretty close to the Raptor...

Chall quite correct about service lives of aircraft, C-130 is a great example( possible exception BF-109 most produced fighter in histroy and retained in front line service long after it became obsolescent)...also yes I agree the airframe is same and internals are different on the Razor Version, only makes sense...look at the A-6B intruder and the EA-6B Prowler...same plane almost...different electronics suite...different crew...different mission...the Prowler could pretty much only carry HARM anti-radiation missiles, whereas the Intruder could carry nearly any weapon in the arsenal...neither had a gun...(F-4 Phantom Disease like building a plane without a wing...)

OH bloody hell I digress...sorry

have a great weekend, I am wargaming tonight so I am getting everything I wanted...

whadda ya hear? :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:45 pm 

For a minute there i thought i was seeing triple...wait a minute, I am!
Hey Myrmidon, did your finger get stuck on the submit button? :lol:

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/Munne ... t=3&page=0 - use this for images that you want to modify, just leave the credits on the picture and add your "modified by" to it instead of a link (hence the reason DA stuff is all watermarked!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:43 am 

someone probably put some superglue on it :damnfunny :damnfunny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:59 am 

frakkin toaster puter sorry for the triple post guys

no this isnt my puter, mine died with every BSG file I had in it... :sad:

and this piece of frak just sucks out loud...

sorry again

whadda ya hear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:29 pm 

myrmidon wrote:
frakkin toaster puter sorry for the triple post guys

no this isnt my puter, mine died with every BSG file I had in it... :sad:

and this piece of frak just sucks out loud...

sorry again

whadda ya hear?

Och! No chance whatsoever of recovering the old data?

Well I've been there twice and it sucks big time (at least this time if it happens I'll recover something - 3 hard drives).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:41 pm 

Sorry to hear about your pc. I just binned my old one which was a real pain as i can't find a driver for my canoscan N650U scanner which is compatable with vista
and now i need to find a driver for my lg phone manager which works with vista. :cry:

minor update.

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/Munne ... t=3&page=0 - use this for images that you want to modify, just leave the credits on the picture and add your "modified by" to it instead of a link (hence the reason DA stuff is all watermarked!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:37 pm 

thanks for the kind condolences

luckily all the game stats and rules were already on hardcopy so its only a matter of getting all the artwork, SSD's, and data sheets that I had in storage...

nice work Munners on the Vipers... as usual...

whadda ya hear? :damnfunny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:41 pm 

Now do the Cylons and dont be stingy with your creativity! :thumbsup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:49 pm 

Having a bit of a redo/revamp of some old stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:43 pm 
Fearless Leader-With the Gods

Damn!

Permission is granted to use most of my work, so long as credit is given. Before using my commissioned work, please get the permission of the person who commissioned it.
Wolf's Shipyard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:51 pm 

I'll have a few buckets of Caprica Fried Chicken please. :damnfunny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:52 am 

Munners where ya been hiding?

obviously you have been gone too long, nice work! cause thats some sick-ass, cool as a frozen-hell work right there!

master of Vipers! :thumbsup

again allow me to reiterate now do the Cylons!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:42 am 

Myr, the TBF/M Avenger is not related to the Douglas Dauntless. They served together, yes, but they're not related. The Avenger is more related to the F4F/FM Wildcat and the F6F Hellcat than to the Dauntless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:02 pm 

big duh.. :? Wolfman the only thing I love more than ww2 naval combat is drinking...oh and maybe modern naval warfare, and maybe sci-fi comes in a close third...

where did I say that a Dauntless or Avenger were even in the same family-other than in the USN ww2 carrier borne aviation family?

ones a Divebomber and Scout, and the other is a Torpedo Bomber that was used for bombing, AEW, Torpedo strikes etc etc...thought I made that pretty clear...

I dont think your reading between the lines...if you mean me calling it a cousin, it is, it served at the same time and flew from the same decks and shared the same hangars...never did I say that they were built by the same company, as I well know they werent...and you should too

I meant that if there was a ww2 navy equivalent in the USN it would be one of those two a/c...more so than a Kate or Val since neither was anything near as versatile nor used for as many roles as an Avenger

36 years ago I built my first Monogram 1/48th scale model it was an Avenger and the Torpedo bay opened and released its 18 inch torpedo! wonder if that kit is still available come to think of it I built an SBD right after that and its bomb could be dropped those were great kits! I dont build as many models as I used too I buy more books...

NPLF

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next