Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:30 pm 

"And it's been a long way, but we're here."
- Rear Admiral Alan B. Shepard Jr., upon first walking on the Moon.

This project to completely refit the Delcon class Strikestar parallel to the refit of Pegasus, was every bit as hard as I thought it would be. Two months spent working on it (it would've taken less time if I had done nothing else except draw, but EVE is a hard mistress), has produced a fine looking 67% scale-down of Pegasus. I love it.

Delcon class Strikestar 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:53 pm 

Good god... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:42 pm 

Great looking light Battlestar, the old and new designs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:03 pm 

I wonder what the Overlord would look like treated Peggy style?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:59 pm 
Fearless Leader-With the Gods

Very nice!

Permission is granted to use most of my work, so long as credit is given. Before using my commissioned work, please get the permission of the person who commissioned it.
Wolf's Shipyard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:04 pm 

Great work with Peggy Junior!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:14 am 
Fearless Leader-With the Gods

What's scary is that I was just looking at the auction catalog for the 2nd BSG prop auction that's coming up and the Delcon is the spitting image of the Pegasus model used in the planning session in Resurrection ship! That model has six engines, not eight. Main difference is that the model has much longer flight pod support arms.

Permission is granted to use most of my work, so long as credit is given. Before using my commissioned work, please get the permission of the person who commissioned it.
Wolf's Shipyard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:58 am 

I have given consideration to a Mercury-era Superbattlestar, but with the new styling involved it'll be some time before I start that. I've got a First Cylon War Heavy Strikestar, a Gunboat/Cutter Carrier, the First Cylon War precursor to the Wolverine, and two destroyers in the works.

Delcon class Strikestar backstory:

With the success of the Golden Bay class Strikestar during the First Cylon War, and subsequent bomber-carrier designs, Colonial Fleet Command wanted to develop a fully modern approach to launching long range antiship strikes. Using the Mercury class Battlestar as a base, the Delcon class Strikestar was born.

Two-thirds the size of its larger brethren, the Delcon brought speed and endurance to the table, a critical part of the strikestar concept. As part of its design, the class was designed and built in parallel to the Reaper Mark III, increasing its long-range strike capability beyond that of the semi-failure of the Dominator class Heavy Strikestar. With eight squadrons of FTL capable bombers, and superior point-defense gunpower than a Galactica class Battlestar, the Delcon was a suggested successor to the battlestar as the Colonial Fleet's primary warship.

It would locate the target with Raptors, launch an attacking bomber force from several jumps away, relocate to a predetermined recovery point, and await their return in safety. The Reapers would engage and destroy the target with their internally carried antiship missiles (or nuclear weapons), then proceed to the rendevous point for pickup. If the strikestar was engaged at any time by Cylon or other enemy forces, it would defend itself from fighter and bomber attack only long enough to coordinate a counterattack, recover its bombers and flee, or transmit to its Reapers a new recovery point and jump away.

During the Second Cylon War, the Delcon class proved itself invaluable in the initial defense of the Colonies. The Delcon itself, and Strikestar Group 28, were the ships assigned the task of contacting Armistice Station after losing contact. Theirs was the first survived contact with the Cylons in over 40 years, and the first combat against the newer Cylon equipment.

The story of Strikestar Group 28, the ships that travelled with them during the Second Cylon War, and their fate, shall be told...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:30 am 

Minor improvements on the Reaper Mark III. I rushed it a bit when I first posted it, but now I think it looks right. Changed the canopy to better fit a crew of three, rounded the nose off, made the wings more streamlined, and made the muzzle brakes on the 40mm cannons a bit more sensible.

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 13, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:32 pm 

Reaper looks pretty tight chief, wasn't a fan of the idea of a three man strike platform, but its rapidly growing on me. One quick question though. Since I assume the Bumblebee antiship torpedo isn't supposed to scare the enemy to death with its flashy paint job, how does it do whatever it does to anti a ship it hits, and whats the point of the dazzle paint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:16 pm 

It's partly to make it highly visible in the ship's magazines, and partly a late-night lack of imagination.

The Bumblebee is a dual-charge armor-piercing expanding-rod antiship missile. It is designed to penetrate the target's armor with its frontal shaped-charge warhead, the intact middle and rear of the missile proceeding through the hole in the armor, whereupon the primary warhead of the missile detonates, spraying high-velocity depleted uranium shrapnel into the innards of the target ship. A bonus being that the DU shards will also spall, setting fire to anything in the vicinity.

DCAPERASM, or Decapitator as it became known, gave Reaper and Taipan crews a level of non-nuclear firepower that was previously unavailable to them.