Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xealmox BSG doodles
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:03 am 

i'm opening up another topic for all my doodles, i'll work from here and improve them, not making a new thread for each and every ship.

i'm not promising to update much though, i've got exams this year.

To start this thread off.

i started this as a idea for a boarding ship, but i gradually built extra armor armor around it, and now it looks more like some kind of cruiser.
not sure what to make of it, so ill wait with arming it and such untill i get the definitive shape and role right.
ill definantly appreciate comments on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:18 am 

Looks like it would make a nice Light Cruiser or such.

What was your idea behind the boarding ship?
Might help others to understand what you saw her doing in that mission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:24 am 

basically, the first version had a toothed front which could be used to ram into ships and tear their armor apart, it had a spinal kew for breaching heavy armor and the wings had 4 engines mounted on them on a rotating joint(meaning they could reverse if necessary.

the weird engine design was a idea of mine, with the arms around the main engine containing maneuvering thrusters, so it had greater mobility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:33 am 

What about using linear shaped charges instead?
Saves the space from a KEW system (more troops)
Cuts a hole to your boarding needs size in the target instead of a penetrator hole.

The variable engines would be a good one to keep, gets your boarding group away from the target quickly if need be (self destructing).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:14 pm 

I like the shaped charges, coupled to a ramming prow of some time you could easily pierce armor. I have to say no to the variable pitch engines, as such designs are invariable more trouble than they are worth. Instead, consider putting thrust reverser elements, such as a fighter of airliner uses, or even fitting a second tier of forward facing engines at the midships point. I would actually lean towards the thrust reverser elements, because that type of technique feels more "Colonial" to me. We even see the engines on Colonial One looking somewhat like a modern airliners.

As an option, this could be some sort of armor and infantry landing ship, as it is reasonable sleek, making it some sort of interface capable LPD/LPA.

Also, the Light Cruiser option is not without merit, perhaps with a fit of single barreled rapid fire LKEW turrets to either side of the spine, giving it two separate "broadsides", with a similar fit ventrally. It could even be a missile boat, with Wing Commander the Movie type broadside missile launchers. This last appeals because of the imagery, but there are several other missile boats already out there. If you haven't made one, perhaps this is the time, but if you have, then this is a somewhat dated approach for you.

Also, this could easily serve as some sort of Low DRADIS Cross Section stealth ship, sort of the colonial approach to making an attack sub for space, or even a boomer, those gray hatches a bit more than half way back could be either cruise missile ramps, or VLS style strategic launchers with ease. The idea of them being launch ramps appeals to me a bit more, as there could be six more underneath. Imagine the picture this invokes when the damn thing suddenly unmasks and volleys an even dozen heavy anti ship missiles/torpedoes at some unsuspecting Cylon Basestar!

and lastly, it could be any AND all of these, by the simply expedient of making it the premier ship hull of a lost Colonial colony mission from the previous war. This would give you additional fodder for any one of half a dozen story lines too. This ship could serve as the base concept for 6-10 different designs, with little to no real revision to them to handle various missions, allowing this struggling colony to field an efficient and effective defense force for the day those nasty Cylons come knocking.

Anyhow chief, that's just my two cents worth. It is a neat design too, almost looks like it needs small canards on it though...must just be my imagination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:16 pm 

Quote:
I have to say no to the variable pitch engines, as such designs are invariable more trouble than they are worth. Instead, consider putting thrust reverser elements, such as a fighter of airliner uses, or even fitting a second tier of forward facing engines at the midships point. I would actually lean towards the thrust reverser elements, because that type of technique feels more "Colonial" to me. We even see the engines on Colonial One looking somewhat like a modern airliners.

Problems with your concepts is that adding forward facing engines midpoint would eat up alot of space unneccesarily, while the variable engines don't.

Variable engines also add to overall maneuverability, while reversers don't, nor are reversers very efficient in being used to quickly move in reverse when needed as one would require on a boarding ship.

The engines on the Colonial One look somewhat like airliners because technically it is one and not a military ship designed to ram itself into targets to deliver troops.

Never have been a fan of ramming through type boarding ships, too clumsy compared to attach and blow shaped charges to enter.
Ramming is going to tear the holy hades out of where you plan on deploying troops making boarding interesting at best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:34 pm 

i'm just fooling around a bit, made this version a combined carrier/sensor suite and missile cruiser.

any comments appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:36 am 

I honestly think you should go in the direction of light cruiser with the design or as the mother ship to a smaller boarding vessel design.
I haven't been able to fanthom why anyone would build a light cruiser sized boarding vessel.
Can see something in the size range of Conan's Bravo November as a boarding vessel, but not something the size of a light cruiser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:00 pm 

i like the first ship graet design and nice feel to it. the second one seams a little large for a boarding ship. make it just a cruiser and it would be perfect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:07 pm 

ill state again, i'm going to make a few concepts first and then ill work and see which ill need to rework,sharpen,w/e.

Image*yeah i know about the gun, if forgot to edit it out, ill fix it tomorow* This is still a major wip.

this is a carrier with an a long range sensor suite, 2 floors of hangar deck, with 2 exits/entrances and added flak batteries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:17 pm 

Image Posting up another WIP i had lying around on my pc.

any comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:26 pm 
Ship's Executive Officer

nice work.

archive of our own, good place to find lots of fanfiction:
https://archiveofourown.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:39 am 

That's a lot of flak guns. I take it this predates the us of the point defense systems?

Whats the thing in the nose, a gun?

Looks a bit chaotic, i would almost expect this to be a pirate or rapid construction ship, something thrown together to put hulls in the black. Kind of neat really, in that way.