Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:19 pm 

Although I couldn't open the original mesh, I am tempted to have another kitbash at this design.

I have to say that after relooking at the way that they did Scorpio I think the docking arrangement aren't the best - I might try a different arrangement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:28 pm 

I started on working out the docks and ended up with this mesh:

Post subject: beautiful!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:33 pm 

Looks better than my design imo, and btw beautiful background! :) I am considering taking away a fouth(retconing) from the overpopulated crew size in the story to allow for the smaller achilles size depected here. I also like the addition of the ribbing, the Achilles is supposed to be a near 40 year old ship added on too while sitting in a spot for awhile, and the exposed ribbing has a nice classy galactica feel while the panels give it a nice pre-pegasus look.

Also, the doors done in wolfcannons latest drawing back in may are excellent for the viper launcher part of the midsection.

Post subject: Re: beautiful!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Admiral Frank wrote:
Looks better than my design imo, and btw beautiful background! :) I am considering taking away a fouth(retconing) from the overpopulated crew size in the story to allow for the smaller achilles size depected here. I also like the addition of the ribbing, the Achilles is supposed to be a near 40 year old ship added on too while sitting in a spot for awhile, and the exposed ribbing has a nice classy galactica feel while the panels give it a nice pre-pegasus look.

Also, the doors done in wolfcannons latest drawing back in may are excellent for the viper launcher part of the midsection.

Why would you lower an already small crew (for its size)? If this is a mobile base of sorts, then it should be heavy on crew, especially if repairs are going to be performed. Consider that about 10,200 people work in the Wills (Sears) Tower in Chicago, and that Galactica alone is about six times the volume, and you get an idea of how many people can work in a given volume. And the Wills Tower isn't a uniform rectangular solid and it has a fair bit of open space that's not used for anything but aesthetics. A ship this size should easily handle a crew of 50,000 and have enough room to put a couple small Macross style "cities" inside.

I'm pretty much a "form follows function" sort when it comes to design. With that said, it's length to width to height ratio seems off, especially if it's a support craft. Increase the width 25-50% and add graving docks top and bottom. I'd also give it two modes of operation; limited and full. Limited is for when it's actually under thrust and unless a ship in in a graving dock, the connection is more along the lines of an UNREP connection; it's there, but isn't too solid. Full is for when the ship isn't under thrust and it can then either dock ships as shown in Limerickcot's illustrations or it can extend arms out from the sides to dock two or three ships in the space used for one. It isn't going to be servicing just battlestars, so having the arms (think of the ship as the long axis of a "T" and the arms as the cross member, except that the ship would have two or three cross members) would allow more ships to be serviced.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:25 pm 

Is there any way to make it wider so a Battlestars could dock inside of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:25 pm 

I have to say that my illustration was based on the original pic and so I restricted the number of docking arms.

My feelings on this is that docking arms would also be present at 45 degrees both top and bottom from the ones shown here. Thats based on the above mesh of course.

And that mesh just happened. BTW there are two large enclosed docks located under the foreward fuselage, the entrances are just below the fore docks in th epic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:30 pm 

Awesome job. More "to scale" than the original Achilles WIP. A ship big enough for a fleet to hide in would bankrupt the colonies. This one looks more "believeable. Although, this is scifi fantasy, so build what you imagine. I'd still like to see the original concept Achilles....not sure if my video card would survive it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:59 pm 
Ship's Executive Officer

nice.

http://duke.xadro.net/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:37 pm 

i love your battetech stuff I love that game and pc game too

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:38 pm 

kfeltenberger wrote:

Why would you lower an already small crew (for its size)

Increase the width 25-50% and add graving docks top and bottom. I'd also give it two modes of operation; limited and full. Limited is for when it's actually under thrust and unless a ship in in a graving dock, the connection is more along the lines of an UNREP connection

Its just a possibility the ship is supposed to be way over populated in the novel to the point of filth and making hell for the military staff to keep order. Call it bordom paradox there had been so many other bsg stories written about every other concivable battlestar type and size I wanted to do something different.

The origional design simply incorperated the galactica models flight pod extenders as the docking rings with a concevalble sideways elevator ish docking mechanism. Also lessened the likelyhood of a battlestar being "ripped off" the arms due to extreme manuvers by the Achilles. That was until I decided that the achilles would move much slower when not in FTL than usual battlestars. but by then I had grown fond of my battlestar creation.

Limericks is better though because it fits more with the series cannon scorpio shipyard model and looks cooler.

And I had to wonder if the cylon hit and run tatics during the cylon wars would cause the idea of a mobile shipyard with a battlestarish design for better defense and rapid base redeployment.

I might add a scene in Achilles where it shows the colonials gathering up the wreckages of the old battlestars and baseship debris floating out in space to melt down and add to the achilles to cut back devopment costs...

Just one of the freedoms of writers perogative. I'm also looking at all of the compliments and criticisms of the design in the effort to edit my origional text.

Also the reasons the origional model isn't available bladefax is because of a hard-drive crash combined with the death of both my parents = alot of stress and had to make room for video games like crysis 2. Now that i'm considering writing more on the story i regret losing the model big time. Thanks for god-sends like limerek and wolf, becasue they not only liked the idea but improved upon it and rebirthed the Achilles "blueprints" so to speak.

I might make a pdf Technical manual using both concepts as the cover since I've gotten more interested in architectual design lately.

btw The best place to see the origional concept pictures is on my photobucket page (Gregthegen)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:16 pm 

Bur Baseships you mean to study as they are grown...not metal...alive you could say.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Admiral Frank wrote:
kfeltenberger wrote:

Why would you lower an already small crew (for its size)

Its just a possibility the ship is supposed to be way over populated in the novel to the point of filth and making hell for the military staff to keep order.

Just one of the freedoms of writers perogative. I'm also looking at all of the compliments and criticisms of the design in the effort to edit my origional text.

Also the reasons the origional model isn't available bladefax is because of a hard-drive crash combined with the death of both my parents = alot of stress and had to make room for other games. Now that i'm considering writing more on the story i regret losing the model big time. The best place to see the origional concept pictures is on my photobucket page (Gregthegen)

I'm sorry to hear about your loss...losing a loved one is always difficult.

One thing I've discovered over the years is that when it comes to ships and accommodations, is that if you ballpark about 56m^3 per person for comfortable private quarters, 28m^3 for adequate quarters, and 57m^3+ for luxurious quarters, you'll be pretty close to what's really needed. This space accounts for hallways, common areas, and the like.

Using the model from the photobucket account, and using the Arlon as a sort of Rosetta Stone to figure out rough dimensions since we know the length of Galactica, I come up with these numbers:

Length: 22,874 meters
Width: 2878 meters
Height: 1438 meters

Multiplying them out gives us 94,632,620,124 cubic meters. This is a rough number and should be accurate enough for our needs when you factor in the larger dimensions of the head, engines, and booms. Let's assume that 25% of the ship is quarters or quarters related spaces and simply use 23,658,155,031 as our working volume for habitation. If we simply divide that by 54m^3, we get 438,113,982. In short, if 25% of the ship was devoted to quarters, you could carry about 438,113,982 people; roughly the populations of the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Israel, Norway, Sweden, and Finland.

If you allocated 10% of the volume and gave an allowance of 100m^3 per person, you'd still be able to carry 94,632,620 people.

This ship is beyond big; it's huge. If you were to put this ship over top of Manhattan Island in New York City with the engines resting in Battery Park (at the southern end, it would extend about 1km north of the north shore, and have about 400 meters on either side, and that's just using the longest and widest dimensions as yard sticks, and then it would be more than 1.4km high.

Just some food for thought.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Admiral Frank wrote:
The origional design simply incorperated the galactica models flight pod extenders as the docking rings with a concevalble sideways elevator ish docking mechanism. Also lessened the likelyhood of a battlestar being "ripped off" the arms due to extreme manuvers by the Achilles. That was until I decided that the achilles would move much slower when not in FTL than usual battlestars. but by then I had grown fond of my battlestar creation.

It isn't the sublight velocity that's an issue; it's the rapid changes in velocity and vector that will cause a problem. If the ship and two battlestars are moving in the same direction at the same velocity, it will appear to someone on one of the battlestars that they're all stopped because there is no difference in relative velocity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:25 pm 

Who funded this ship?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 pm 

Wisky-08 wrote:
Who funded this ship?

The Colonial Government and lots of war debt. :-p seriously though it did take 40 years worth of funding on and off again construction and wreckage salvage to build. That and one has to take the old Giuas Baltar approach to food/water reserves for the crew.

I imagined that alot of the interior was reserved for fighter construction, ore processing, ammo resupply, asteroid mining, individual battlestar part construction etc... And the interior could also have alot more interior space for each section (making it feel roomier and allowing for alot more savings on funds) Including a giant interior park or biosphere like enviroment for off duty personell (Think Cloud 9 from the series or the transporter ship in the miniseries that the girl is on which is nuked).

2000 of the vipers inside the Carrierstar were for resupply of battlestars who had lost theirs in the 1st cylon war. until the final years before the destruction of the colonies many of the slots for the mark IIs,IIIs, and Raptors were empty due to not being used.

Another reason for the large space is the day/night crews, (unlike in the series where the staff happens to almost always be awake when the cylons attack,(guess the cylons don't like attacking a sleeping foe) the achilles story had 2 distinct sections of the ship for the day and night shift crews for every concievable watch ((unlike the modern day military who usually share the same bunk on opposing shifts)) , and a 24/7 maintainance and engineering crew with a day and night crew chief working under the ships Sr. Crew Chief, who in turn reported directly to Admiral Horan.

Also while achilles was intended on being a mobile con-yard (before being almost completly scrapped for the much less financially costing scorpio fleet shipyards years later) it was almost always in planetary orbit* until the end of the 1st cylon war.

But using other shipyard members approximations and limeriks and wolfs drawings, one or the other should be better than the origional megalith. Really i love people arguing over the design bringing up concepts improving on concepts and making their own versions. (wolfs and limeriks) because I always wanted Achilles to be a community driven novel anyway. Looking forward to any more ideas or redesigns on the achilles! :)

Still the numbers provided make it sound alot huger than I anticipated, even factoring in the battlestar part construction going on inside the achilles.

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next