Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Admin

A ST ship orbiting at 1600 km/s would be moving 160+ times as fast as the projectiles fired at them, and would orbit the planet in less than a minute. The kinetics might hit, but most likely they would miss.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:18 am 

Which means that BSG just committed fratricide without meaning to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:01 am 

sorry clarification on "orbital speed" is 26000 km/h or 7.6 km/s according to next gen tech manual. Tactics are going to win any war get the bad guys where they don't have an advantage and where you do then paste them with cannon fire. Only thing I see star trek having an advantage is on sublight speed and photon torpedoes. I love star trek and have more technomagic crap from that series stuffed in my brain that a close to true physics show like BSG and B5 really appeals to me. The torpedoes could be swatted down by AA guns a Battlestar with a few anti-fighter Gunstars should do the job. Phasers would take forever to cut through the armor plate. then a missile gunstar jumps very close and fires a salvo (one design had 32 capitol missiles) of 500 megaton missiles (that's the explosive equivalent of 10 photon torpedoes each for over 300 photon torpedoes) crushing the shields almost instantly then KEWS punch through the hull like tissue paper. but that is an entire Battlestar group using a very specific attack that most likely will fail and if was even semi-effective, would never be repeated. Star fleet would just send a squadron of akira's or sovereign class and that's the end of your group

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:06 pm 

Not too sure about photons being shot down by AA guns or at least reliably. Does the tech manual say how fast a photon torpedo travels?

Pizza the Hutt: Barf... Puke... *Whatever*!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:23 pm 

the star trek encyclopedia says they travel at the speed of light.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:49 pm 

Sorry, I meant in terms of sublight speeds. I know they capable of sustaining their own warp field. But they don't do warp speeds all the time.

Pizza the Hutt: Barf... Puke... *Whatever*!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:08 pm 

they launch at ship velocity then can accelerate to near c but it uses reactants from the warhead so faster and farther = less yield maximum range of the torpedo is 3.5 million miles powered

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 pm 

Hey Kurt

reading through the enterprise d tech manual and the shields can burn off a maximum of 730,000 MW and can cool 750,000 MJ of heat how does your math say a galaxy class can stand up to a battlestars guns

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:59 am 
Site Admin

If the numbers are correct...

A 1 meter round at 6000m/s generates 706,860Mj of energy which translates into 196.35MWh. However, when I convert joules to watts with a duration of 1 second (the impact would be a lot less, but let's start with 1 second), we get the following: 7.0686e+11, or, in plain English, 706,860,000,000 watts, or, more simply, 706,860MW. If you reduce the time that the impact takes, and 1 second is an eternity - remember, in that amount of time it traveled 6000 meters - to something closer to .1 or .01 second, you'd need to add one or two zeros to the total MW generated.

In short, assuming the shields aren't capable of protecting the ship from relativistic particles (which they were designed to do) or other small bits of dust and such traveling at an insanely high velocity, should a BSG kinetic hit the Trek ship it would probably destroy it, microseconds after the shield generators overloaded and caused a very nasty feedback pulse.

All this said, the numbers from the tech manual, while appearing incredible, are really rather wimpy when you examine the actual energy generated by what they were designed to protect the ship from.

Edited to add: Does it say how far away the shields are from the hull?

Also, to return to the length of time consumed by the impact, my numbers are actually off a bit. If it was moving at 6,000 m/s, then it would take about .001 s for the projectile to pass through a plane. By this, I mean if you hung a sheet of paper up as a target, it would take one thousandth of a second for the projectile to pass completely through the paper. With that in mind, things look a lot bleaker for the Trek ship...instead of getting hit with 706,860MW, it's getting hit with 706,860,000MW.

One thing to consider...a lot of Trek tech was built on technobabble and what sounded good. Look at how many inventions, tweaks, modifications, and reconfigurations the crew of Enterprise used to defeat the McGuffin of the week. Something that was fine one week a season later couldn't defend against something lesser in the same situation.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:15 am 

Add to that that the Tech Manual was written during Season 5 of TNG.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 am 

shield envelope is one meter from the hull extendable to 5 km but greatly reduced capacity. from what I gather from reading the shields only protect the ship from dust but larger particles are intercepted at range with "an active deflector beam". Small asteroids or other space debris forces the conn to make a course correction. so no they are just as vulnerable to high speed impacts as the rest of us. From everything I have read on them star trek would be bug guts on the nose of any battlestar save their rapid fire 50 MT antimatter torpedo launcher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:13 am 
Site Admin

The one thing that Star Trek has in its favor is that they can move and fight at C+ speeds. BSG wouldn't know what hit it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 pm 

they have that all encompassing "Sub-Space Field" stuff.... hmm if "subspace" didn't exist in BSG then they would be stuck at the same speeds as... I feel a crossover coming on

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:49 pm 

As there's no official BSG tech manual available they probably win as we can alter the power of their weapons to suit whatever we want, the only literature available is the science book and it's very vague on a lot of subjects and contains no hard numbers and few explanation on how they came up with things (I have read it cover to cover), the Star Trek tech manual is probably too specific for it's own good, restricting the power of the universe to hard numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:55 pm 

kfeltenberger wrote:
The one thing that Star Trek has in its favor is that they can move and fight at C+ speeds. BSG wouldn't know what hit it.

Relativity and causality are crying...lol

I'm pretty sure the spacetime distortion required for an Alcubierre drive to function rules out any possibility of targeting or combat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next