Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Been looking
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 pm 

Been looking through the ships but havent found two ships classes and wondering if anyone knows if they've been made. Looking for two support ships, mine sweeper and a mine layer. Yeah i know their obsolete due to FTL drives being able to jump themselves out of a minefield but what if they were laid without the enemy knowing about it and the other side laid mines where the enemy kept jumping in to attack.

So if you know where they are can you give me a response.

Monbade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:11 am 

Any ship with lighter weapons and moderately acute sensors can sweep, since there isn't a change in medium to overcome.

There is a variant of a Gunstar with a whole slew of large doors on top that is supposedly a mine sweeper of some sort, its from the Alberio/Cygnus types, and its specifically called the Triton, though I don't know if that's the class name. The specific image I am thinking of was done by Wolff 6.0, but it originates as a 3D image somewhere, at least I think it does.

Post subject: Re: Been looking
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:38 pm 

Minelayers actually aren't a bad idea at all. They're useless offensively, but they'd still work great defensively. Either you force your enemies into jumping into the minefield, and risk major damage, or you force them to jump in well outside the minefield, and they have to engage you at long range with a drop in accuracy. Additionally, since your forces know the exact pattern of the mine deployment(s), your forces can jump in AND out of the minefield without problems.

Just remember that mines will need to be at least somewhat mobile, in acting more like time-delayed missiles then anything. They are deployed and stay mostly motionless until something activates them, and then they orient towards the target and do a one-shot burn/thrust towards it (solid fuel rocket most likely...if nothing else then to add to the 'bang'), and ram the target, then boom.

There's a design of mine that was mostly for flak, but very easily could be rigged to act as a minelayer - The Tempestas class Light Cruiser.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:56 am 

This weapon sounds more than likely to be a part of pre-fall Colonial naval tactics and probably very capable against the old model Cylons the Colonials expect to face and know lots about, unfortunately they know nothing at all about the new Cylons ships or capabilities so it's highly unlikely the mines would recognise them as hostile and factor in new Cylons superior network warfare attack capability and mines aren't quite as full proof as Colonial forces would wish.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:13 pm 

monbade wrote:
Been looking through the ships but havent found two ships classes and wondering if anyone knows if they've been made. Looking for two support ships, mine sweeper and a mine layer. Yeah i know their obsolete due to FTL drives being able to jump themselves out of a minefield but what if they were laid without the enemy knowing about it and the other side laid mines where the enemy kept jumping in to attack.

So if you know where they are can you give me a response.

Monbade

I developed a MineLayer & MineSweeper for my RPG “Rifts: Ederen Alliance” setting awhile ago, you may have to mode the “Blockader” to remove the bow mounted large laser turret for a BSG environment, but the “Seeker” should work fine as it is.

The rest of the “Rifts: Ederen Alliance” fleet are HERE.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:44 pm 

Okay there's something else though that could be up for consideration. Not mines persay, but more like a 'gun-mine'. Something a Battlestar (Just for farts and laughs) would deploy around a fleet, and when they get dradis contacts of a foreign design, they activate a set of weapons, maybe 2-4x 25mm KEW's? Or maybe even Missile Tubes on them? It'd be something for the thought of it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure that would work as a mine, per se. It sounds more like a remote drone if you're going to be launching it as needed and as a supporting element. Mines are more of a defensive weapon or one used to channel an enemy someplace where you want them to go, and in space I'm not sure you could put enough of them out there that they'd be anything more than an annoyance.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:51 pm 

Yeah, without a BSG version of a cloaking device, there really isn't a way to use mines in space.

Anything BSG appropriate you would come up with would better fall under the 'Fortification' category.