Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lusitania class liner
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:10 pm 

Built just before the war, the twenty ships in the class were owned by Caprica Passenger service and were converted into fast transports to carry up to ten thousand troops or evacuees from the colonies. Of the twenty ships built, only fourteen survived the war. Four were lost over Virgon as they were landing reinforcements for the battered planet, two more were lost late in the war at Libran when they were lifting off hundreds of POWs that had been liberated by the Colonial Marine corpse. The remaining ships were returned to CPS and converted back to their original configuration. They served for twenty-three years flying the systems of the colonies before CPS went under due to the newer Cloud passenger ships. The fourteen ships were handed over to the boneyard and went into deep cold storage. Bought by Milcove industries, they have been restored, and mondernized for operation Azure Deep.

http://monbade.deviantart.com/art/Lusitania-class-liner-381495386

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:36 pm 

nice concept! from the description I would think that 10,000 passengers is wishfull thinking however, but who knows, its sci-fi. I'm also glad you included more than one view. Keep it up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:11 pm 

I'm thinking something like what happened with the early passenger ships of the 19th century. You had first class, 2nd class, then steerage passengers AKA third. So i went with a 3rd class along with steerage passengers. Even today, look at the Allure of the Seas and she carries 6,296 and a crew 2,384 thats 8500 right there.

Monbade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

The big difference between contemporary ships and space-going liners is one of life support. Yes, you can probably cram however many people into the ship, but how many can the life support reasonably handle? There's no way to open the windows or stroll on the deck for fresh air; everything has to be self contained.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but it isn't going to be comfortable.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:22 pm 

true, thats why i added the dome. Same principle as the cloud ships if figured with her parks to add to the regeneration of the oxygen and give the passengers a place to go. Also figure the colonial fleet and ships have some type of scrubber like subs do. Its the only way they could renew the air on the battlestars.

Monbade