Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Betafighter "Taranis"
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:01 am 
More than one Hoplite

Concept:
The "Betafighter" is the main fighter used by the Aerospace defence forces of both Virgon and Leonis. The fighter is a multi-purpose air and space fighter, primarily designed for atmospheric interception. In space the fighter performs roughly equivalently to the Mk II viper from the cylon war, while in an atmosphere it is unmatched by any other craft.

The Betafighter was built by a group of both Virgon and Leonese corporations. A large focus was put on improving the local economy of Helios Beta and so it was decided that no components or other input from other colonies would be used. A result of this is that the CNP was never used with the craft.

The Betafighter was designed with rapid reaction in mind as it was intended as a planetary defence craft. As such it needs no runway for takeoff or landing. It also has sufficient range to launch from the opposite side of Virgon, travel to Hibernia and conduct 1 hour of atmospheric operations before returning to it's place of origin.

Progress:
So far I've done to top view and started on the side view, which still needs detailing on the bottom, the air intakes drawn, the wings & canards added and a good clean up. Shown below is the craft in the livery of the Virgon Aerospace Force:

Last edited by Phalanx on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Betafighter
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:10 am 

Did you forget the link?

Pizza the Hutt: Barf... Puke... *Whatever*!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:25 am 
More than one Hoplite

Nope, I can see the pic right there...
What browser are you using and what extensions?

Here's a link to it though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20 pm 

Sweet! I like the canards, the compact but not miniscule size compared to Vipers, the comparable firepower mixture, and the multi-colonial involvement aspects.

I do have to question the lack of CNP though. CNP wasn't a part, it was a Colonial Defense Main Frame requirement. So rather than being an operating system (I use the Baltar Operating System (yes, his program is called BOS, it seemed to fit really...) as part and parcel of the CNP, which gets wiped and replaced with a previous program even though it apparently isn't "bugged" like the CNP) it's a program addition that was required to interface with the CDMF, something that apparently every combat unit was required to do, not just the active Fleet units.

Essentially, this unit, being a new unit that was intended to operate in conjunction with other Colonial Guard and Fleet assets, would all but demand integration with the CDMF, especially if it is so long range it can operate from one colony to another, requiring significant navigational aids.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:14 am 

Interesting to see how it looks top down. nice stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:24 am 
More than one Hoplite

gryphon wrote:
Sweet! I like the canards, the compact but not miniscule size compared to Vipers, the comparable firepower mixture, and the multi-colonial involvement aspects.

I do have to question the lack of CNP though. CNP wasn't a part, it was a Colonial Defense Main Frame requirement. So rather than being an operating system (I use the Baltar Operating System (yes, his program is called BOS, it seemed to fit really...) as part and parcel of the CNP, which gets wiped and replaced with a previous program even though it apparently isn't "bugged" like the CNP) it's a program addition that was required to interface with the CDMF, something that apparently every combat unit was required to do, not just the active Fleet units.

Essentially, this unit, being a new unit that was intended to operate in conjunction with other Colonial Guard and Fleet assets, would all but demand integration with the CDMF, especially if it is so long range it can operate from one colony to another, requiring significant navigational aids.
Well this craft, and the Aerospace forces of Virgon & Leonis would be first and foremost an atmospheric force. It's expected spaceborne area of operations is entirely orbital. In the case of Leonis this is almost entirely low orbital. While they would absolutely have assets further out then this, satellites and space stations, the defence of these are generally entrusted to the Colonial Fleet. For Virgon it is similar except they also have to worry about Hibernia. Most of the environment that they would operate in would be very different from the outer space that the Fleet is most at home in. Consequently navigation and general operation would be markedly different, making it likely that the CNP would not be fit for purpose. Furthermore the CNP is very new and still hasn't operational with 5% of the fleet. Even if it were intended to be used by the individual colonies forces (several of which would be comparable in scale with the size of the federal forces) it would take a reasonable length of time to role out and I'm certain that the Colonial Forces would be the priority.

I don't see why the Command Navigation Program (which really only seems to make the operation of spacecraft, or groups of spacecraft, easier. It does not seem to be fundamental to how the Fleet operates and coordinates it's assets) should be necessary to operate effectively with federal forces. They can still use their own systems while sharing information with the Fleet, no reason for them to both have to calculate journeys in exactly the same way. French Armée de l'Air jets are able to operate with American USAF forces to a satisfactory level after all, without using the exact same systems.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, but the US and French forces have common datalinks...which one could argue is the current analogue of the CNP.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:36 pm 
More than one Hoplite

Allegedly it is an operating system for flight systems/navigation computers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Right, but it's also what the OS does that's important, too. Just like they played fast and loose with the term "network" in the series...to quote Inigo..."(they) keep using that word, I do not think it means what (they) think it means."

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:45 pm 
More than one Hoplite

kfeltenberger wrote:
Right, but it's also what the OS does that's important, too. Just like they played fast and loose with the term "network" in the series...to quote Inigo..."(they) keep using that word, I do not think it means what (they) think it means."

I love that film so much...

I think that the important part is that it is not impossible, or even particularly difficult, to cross deck CNP & non-CNP craft on a ship that may or may not have the CNP, as demonstrated by the show. The important question for this craft is can they effectively coordinate with Vipers wherever their zones of operations meet? I don't see any reason that they shouldn't be able to. In the show Galactica with it's lack of the CNP operated Vipers (and Raptors?) with it and the only problem it seemed to cause was no auto-landing (which seems to be more to do with the Galactica's lack of the infamous networks then to do with anything CNP related.

The fact that it was also used for civilian craft to me implies that it primarily improved the efficiency of space navigation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:04 am 
More than one Hoplite

I've got an update:
I've done more to the side and added some missiles to the equation. I'm not really sure if I've got the side right, but I can't really think of what I should have done differently.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:58 pm 

Looks great Phalanx.

You could make the engine inlets deeper, and maybe flatten the bottom of the fuselage a bit, that would eat up some of the 'dead' area.

Alternatively, you could lower the main wing assembly, making her side profile closer to that of normal delta wings. I'd leave the canards mounted where they are though.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Looks very good. In addition to what TurboCoupeTurbo has said, I'd add the following:

1. Raise the canards above the level of the wing and angle them slightly up. It'll make for better airflow and control over the wing.

2. Raise the canopy somewhat so the pilot has a better field of view.