Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:57 pm 

Unfortunately no, no other views have been done by me.

Good luck with the model, look forward to seeing it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:11 am 

As promised here's the missiles and stuff I use

Haven't named them all yet, the first two are two types of ship launched anti-air missiles, in my universe these weapons inhabit the outer bands of the multi-layered fleet defence. They are launched, boost until the first stage is exhausted then jettison it and the second stage either coasts or boosts again depending on the type and then when nearing the incoming targets spits out it's cargo of more manoeuvrable interceptors.
Of course in urgent situations they can be targeted at closed targets just means they don't burn as long before deployment of the interceptors, they can even be programmed to flip 180 and fire them back towards the launch platform!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:17 pm 

These stores look GREAT!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:32 am 

I think I forgot to mention this, above shows to different pictures for a lot of the missiles, these are the atmosphere and space variants, the bottom are the ones used in air so have larger fins for manoeuvring whilst the above the top pictures are the space variants have smaller fins and reaction control jets. Each can be used in the other medium with reduced capabilities with the space variant suffering the least but being a lot more expensive per unit to build.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Why not have one core design and simply add larger fins as needed? A lot of the hypermaneuverable missiles being fielded today already have vectored thrust, so if you extrapolate that a bit it, I think we're going to see vectored thrust and RCS becoming the rule rather than the exception. Most "control surfaces" are there for lift and stability, anyways.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:13 pm 

The way I see it the RCS system's propellent would have to either, come from a central supply and therefore reduce the range of a munition, or have their own supply which would have to take space away from another part of the missile which could be warhead.

An RCS system in a space based munition taking propellant away from the main store isn't so detrimental as space based munitions don't have to worry about drag and therefore constant propulsion (they can coast) but an atmosphere based munition is under power sometime from launch to impact, or at least needs more to get it to a decent coasting velocity against the atmospheric drag.

Hence the two types of weapons fielded in my universe.