Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:52 pm 

Design for a modular scout ship featuring high-z-axis compression on forward warp field lobe based on 40° elliptical primary hull. Warp field configuration is optimized for long range high efficiency cruise at warp 9 with standard '5-7' nacelle as depicted.

Nacelle is a dual-size quadrupole-coil design featuring triple plasma injector manifold. This allows a high degree of warp field shaping without requiring variable-geometry pylons. This comes at the cost of an oversized field-restoration/off-axis field controller fin on the nacelle rear endcap. However, variable warp geometry and oversized field-control fins lend the ship a high degree of intrinsic environmental friendliness and minimal subspace damage at even maximum velocities with '7-11' nacelles.

Phaser turrets and '7-11' nacelle options are available for conversion to high-speed quick-reaction attack ship; tradeoff is reduced sensor capability and shorter range at maximum warp.

Project working name is 'Catalina'.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:38 pm 

Sure looks sweet :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:05 pm 

Thanks.

Update: Pylons!

As an aside, anyone have a TNG-to-Kosinski scale convertor?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:26 pm 

I'm intrigued! This is a very funky and unique design and I am LIKING :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:23 am 

Thank you, wallpaper. I am honored to have your compliment.

I have a theory that hull shape has a strong influence on efficiency of a vessel within one warp factor range [peak-to-peak on a transition-threshold graph].

Shorter, wider hulls would cause extremely deep valleys in integer-warp power consumption, and a theoretical needle-shaped hull could generate a smooth curve with no peaks. Ships designed for cruise at Warp x.9 have a primary hull saucer constructed with a long z-axis, and ships even closer to the next integer warp factor go to an arrowhead or bullet geometry and very long nacelles to approximate a needle shape.

This warp geometry severely strains the limits of hull and warp coil stress and greatly decreases the fuel efficiency, coil/dilithium longevity, and range at the low end of a given warp factor. It also increases the risk of subspace rift formation and vulnerability to disturbances, including those generated by weapons banned by the Second Khitomer Convention.

Normally, Starfleet vessels don't use the upper third of a given warp factor, instead opting to go past the peak transition threshold to the next integer warp factor. However, the pre-Kosinski Warp 10 limit drove starship design strongly in the direction of long-z and arrowhead or bullet hull forms, some hearkening back to antique hypersonic aerospace craft. The very long warp nacelles reminded many of the legendary Constitution and Excelsior engine designs of the previous century, but proved to be just as temperamental as the classic warp drive units.

New transition thresholds as Kosinski posits would re-enable use of a saucer, sphere, or 'high-z' elliptical primary hull. Modern warp coil and nacelle designs give capability for efficient long-range cruise at ultra-high speeds previously unattainable for a given power, mass, and hull form.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:59 pm 

Deflector and bussards roughed in, many small changes made around the ship, nacelles attached.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:54 pm 

looks sweet so far :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:54 am 

Kitty with bigger claws.

Last edited by Danny420Dale on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:19 am 

sweet!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:27 pm 

Epic and awesome! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:35 pm 

Thanks yall.

Bit of progress.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:31 pm 

Bit moar progress. My muse left for a while :p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:41 pm 

No, this is not my idea of an April Fool's Day joke. My muse came back! And before yall scream at me about the eyespots on the nacelle fins, it's just a field restoration coil that looks like a black hole when turned off. Don't look directly at them when the warp nacelle charges up; they get BRIGHT!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:18 am 

Awesome :)