Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:19 am 

My only thought is that it doesn't look like it's got the legs (big tanks etc) or thrust to go to the gas giants, which in the universe was the destination for at least the gas miners, so they feel like short range craft, short as in Earth/Lunar orbits.

I must admit I like the contained design, much more sturdy than mine using the modules so this feels more military over the modular civilian designs, which can fit the universe fine.

Makes me want to go back and do a British warship now but I'm knee deep in the Defender.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:53 pm 

well to be honest, its meant to be warship corvette designs, and gunships. with fuel tanks positioned at the rear of the ship. while everything is enclosed in whare the crew would be located. i would think that it would have enough fuel however it would be alot more heavy mass wise. perhaps that could be reason for lack of fuel aswel so even though its amour it more capable

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:34 am 

Long range comms might also be an issue without directional antenna (dishes)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:05 am 

SOOOOOOooooooo iv been re scaling some space craft to fit in with this universe. Say hello to the Gemini BT-6 Titan 2 rocket :) i also have a measuering stick which is if memory serves. a hundred meters long. :) since the craft i had drawn was Right on a hundred meters. this also matches up with the size of the stations aswel. :) im currently working on real ship modules like the soyus and different things. :) also on another note, whare are all of the drawings gone :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:04 pm 

SO what do you think, they are set in the same Size as the other craft :) im going to build up the image adding the dragon and over modules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:51 am 

chaosdemon99 wrote:
SO what do you think

I know nothing about the universe, but I do quite like the drawings, well done! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 am 

basically the "universe" consists of certain country blocks finally venturing into space in a new gold rush.

All technology used must exist now even if only experimental like rail guns and plasma engines, so no artificial gravity generators or warp drive.

FYI it's not my universe but I played in it for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:16 pm 

is there anything i can do to expand on it i meen as a universe, faction or ship wise, ? any advice since my ships are based on Russian ships apart from the most recent ones iv drawn which are "old universe" but "modern"
ect ect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 am 
Site Admin

You could do Sea Dragon since this is speculative...

https://youtu.be/6e5B7EKVg48

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:06 pm 

Sea Dragon is merely a design, it's not new technology, so by 2051 Sea Dragon would be an old design.

You can field Russian designs for exploration/science ships, cargo ships, space stations etc.

The blocs would be obviously asteroid mining, colonising, gas harvesting and station building and anything else you can think of.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

CD even said it was an "old" design, but that doesn't make it any less relevant as a heavy lift booster. From what I've seen in this thread, there are no really advanced propulsion technologies, so lifting mass from the surface to orbit is still going to be a chore. A large, heavy lift booster will allow things to be easily constructed in a friendly environment and then boosted to orbit.

I wonder where we would be if we had Sea Dragon in the late 60s or early 70s...there probably wouldn't be an ISS because the cost to put it into orbit would have been much less and thus not require as large a chunk of the budget and the US probably would have gone it alone, or perhaps with a couple of close allies. There would also probably be several more orbiting stations as well as perhaps even a permanent settlement (with temporary residents most likely) on the Moon and maybe even some sort of Earth-Mars long duration transport.

When you can put 550 tons into orbit in one throw, a lot of things that weren't possible suddenly become possible and practical. By comparison, the mass of the ISS is ~468 tons; Sea Dragon could have put the whole thing up in one launch (though the design would have been somewhat different to accommodate for the dimensions of the cargo bay) and would have saved a ton of money.

Space-X and the others are cute little rockets, but none of them can really provide the lift capability that Sea Dragon can and if we want to get out into space we need large volume heavy lift boosters.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:16 am 

My idea was more of rescaling the rockets so they can be used as an accurate representation of scale

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:18 am 

Well if memory serves a lot of the station habitable modules are intact majority Russian besides they were the first to produce larfe module based stations like Mir

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:41 pm 

The sea dragon concept is still valid. A couple of smaller versions were tested and they worked extremely well. Unfortunately, there is no call for a rocket that large at this time, but it can be a viable option when the time comes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19