Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:42 pm 

While recently watching the first of the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 movies, I totally fell in love with Kodai Mamoru's destroyer Yukikaze. After being blown away by the retro design and the detailing in the closeup (it's a CG model with the artist drawing in the extreme detail by hand for the closeups), I knew I wanted to do a profile of it.

There were side views of the various ships in a magazine in Japan a few months ago and through a friend I managed to get scans. They are the CG models, but are printed small and in half-tone. I'm only using them for the basic shapes anyway. I'm going to be drawing in the detail by hand when I get there. What's below is just a basic teaser shape that I drew from that. It needs a lot of refining before I even start the basic detail work, but this is something I will be plugging away at a bit at a time, especially after movie 2 premieres at the end of this month and the general bluray release at the end of July. Seriously, best remake of a classic anime EVER. It's incredibly faithful.

Anyway, below I'm linking two screencaps from the opening battle so you can see the basic and additional detailing, along with my basic outline of it.

ImageImageImage

At 80 meters long, this will probably end up being my biggest full profile yet... Might end up doing other ones from the show, like the Cosmo Zero, the Cosmo Falcon (the other fighter, it's been renamed), maybe even Yamato herself.

There are 365 days left before humanity is extinct.

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:08 pm 
Fearless Leader-With the Gods

Can't wait to see this!

Permission is granted to use most of my work, so long as credit is given. Before using my commissioned work, please get the permission of the person who commissioned it.
Wolf's Shipyard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Fantastic! This has always been one of my favorite ships, going so far as to sketch it out as a player ship when I was running Traveller.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:49 pm 

Thanks, guys. I'll be sure not to disappoint.

Watching the new remake, they have a new cruiser that only appeared in the original manga on one page. Between that, the Kirishima (Okita's flagship) and the Yukikaze-type destroyers, only the latter really caught my eye. It's sleek, the canopy reminds me of old flying boats and other aircraft, and the whole thing just screams WWII destroyer. I will end up doing more then just the Yukikaze's scheme. We see two other squadrons of them during the battle, for a total of three canon schemes so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:40 am 

I totally forgot to include this insignia I did a couple weeks ago when I was waiting for magazine refs. I was going to post it yesterday with the boilerplate.

One of the neat things to me about the remake is the patches everywhere. It really gives a military feel to the show. Squadron patches, ship patches, hat patches, HQ patches, etc. In this case, I did up one of the two Yukikaze patches we see, the shoulder insignia. I'm also including a screencap of Kodai Mamoru wearing his. There's also a hat patch for the ballcaps, but he's the only one not wearing one. I'll do that insignia later, it won't take long.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:35 am 

Wow, cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 pm 

I've been working on the Yukikaze line art, but there isn't much to show yet, as well as the hat patch which is nearly done. This afternoon and evening, though, I drew up a side schematic of the 2199 Yamato to give an idea of how much bigger it is in the new show, as well as how tiny the Yukikaze is. The bottom two ships are from a picture I found online. It has the Yamato slightly undersized (it should be 9 meters longer then the original ship). The new ship is closer to the original size of the Yamato before they resized her to match the original, which meant that the fighter complement couldn't really fit inside before. It's all laid out pretty well now with a rotary hangar system and ventral doors.

I'm also uploading two comparison shots between episode 1 of both the original show and 2199. In both, the original is on the right, 2199 on the left. I tried to match the shots as close as I could, but they chose different camera angles and composition in some cases. If anyone has any requests from the first two episodes of each, I'm more then happy to throw them together.

ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:41 pm 

Finally got around to working on the Yukikaze line art again. Just detailing and cleaning up the lines on some parts. I'm doing it bit by bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:44 pm 

I had a second patch half-done for a while that I finally got around to finishing. It needed a lot of work on the anchor, which I had screwed up originally. This particular one is the ballcap patch we see crew on several ships wearing. In this case, it's a Yukikaze one. I'm uploading a screencap from episode 1 to illustrate it, in this case one from Kiris(h)ma.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:29 am 

Looks nice. I did small avatar sized ones early on, but they aren't much to look at since all I did was clean up their samples and made them smaller.

The ship is coming along. The Murasame type Cruisers hold an interest for me because they are new to the series.

You Yukikaze has the benifit of having the option of three (or more) different paint jobs. And so far twelve names and numbers. 9of course the names are in Japanese......)

Isokaze (DDS-101) <-class ship
Ayanami (DDS-103)
Shikinami (DDS-106)
Yukikaze (DDS-117)
Ayase (DDS-119)
Shiranui (DDS-144)
Fuyusuki (DDS-147)
Minazuki (DDS-148)
Hatsushima (DDS-149)
Kagerou (DDS-164)
Shimakaze (DDS-172)
Tachikaze (DDS-216)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:58 am 

Thanks, Ithekro. When I get this ultimately done, I intend for it to be a large-scale, fully detailed, shaded, and colored profile.

I'm interested in the Murasames too. I'm using the side views from Great Mechanics DX 20 as a base, though I'm tweaking it to make it more accurate and adding a lot more detail then there was originally. From that magazine, I have the Yamato, Kirishima, Cosmo Zero, and Cosmo Falcon too, though I'd love to get a similar thing for the Murasame. At least enough to get the primary shapes down perfectly accurately. One big happy fleet. It is based on a background ship from the old Matsumoto SBY comic book anyway. I think it only appears in one panel at the Battle of Pluto.

Already got all three of those paintschemes planned for the destroyer, along with the slightly different original series scheme and some dazzle schemes based on old Allied WWI and II ships. Hardest part for me is going to be fitting the names of the ships without even amounts of letters into the insignia in the profiles. I'll probably end up doing the rounded triangle insignia like Yamato has for those. :lol:

I already have several grey/red and white/yellow/red ships identified on screen in the battle, but do you have any of the red/white ones identified? They're usually so far in the background I can't tell which numbers they are. Off the top of my head, I know 101 and 164 are grey/red and 117 (obviously), 103, and 172 are amongst the white/yellow/red ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:10 am 
Fearless Leader-With the Gods

Uploaded a bunch of references I've found for 2199 over the past few months.
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/CanisD/Shipyard/Drawings/OtherGenres/Yamato/

Permission is granted to use most of my work, so long as credit is given. Before using my commissioned work, please get the permission of the person who commissioned it.
Wolf's Shipyard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:14 am 

Thanks, Canis, those do help. I've seen most of them before in various places on the web so it's nice to have them all in one place. The size chart there is where I got the numbers for the size comparison I did a while back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 pm 

Good that everyone is more or less on the same page in terms of information gathered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:43 pm 

Got on a roll this afternoon and got a lot of work done in the past hour or so. Still in the basic detailing stage though.