Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:53 pm 

The Weapons Are Mounted Around The Forearm, With The Firing Hand Gripping A The Usual Gun Handle & Trigger.
As For A Forearm Mount, That's Not The Point Of This Topic, And Is A Different Sort Of Weapon Concept Than The We're Talking About HereAny Arm-Mounted Weapons Will Be Usable By Either Left- Or Right-Handed Soldiers
The Weapons Are Designed To Slide Into Slots On A Gauntlet That The Wielder Will Be Using (You Will See This In Future Pics That I Do). The Weapon Slides Onto The Gauntlet & Locks Into Place. This Lock Is Strong, Yet The Weapon Can Be Pulled Off By An Average 10 Year-Old Boy.

Lets Not Forget This
TK-1038 wrote:
=This Thread Uses Both Real World And Fictional Aspects
=Arm-Mounted Weapon Systems Can Be Fired With One Hand And/Or Not Have A Grips Of Sorts For The Off Hand
=It Is Goal Of Mine To Design Weapons In My Future

As For Control, Lets Worry About That When We Actually, Physically Hold & Fire One
It Seems That's All You Guys Care About

You Guys Are Still Cold On The Concept Though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

TK-1038 wrote:
Valid Points CanisD, 50Stone
But Take Into Consideration That The First Three Have A Vertical Grip For The Off-Hand
The Main Point Of My Designs Is The Elimination Of The Thing I Find The Most Bothersome
The Stock
Besides, Its Just A Fascination

If it's a rifle, without a stock it's nothing but a bullet hose that will hit the target through random luck. To assure a hit you have to have a several things all working for you:

1. Sights. You must be able to put sights on the target so you know where you're hitting.

2. Recoil management. You have to be able to manage the recoil of the weapon to ensure a quick followup shot. You also need to manage the recoil so as to ensure the weapon isn't painful to shoot or causes injury to the shooter when fired.

3. Repeatability. You must be able to put the weapon into the same alignment (sights to eye, recoil management) with little to no trouble or the weapon will be an interesting oddity.

I train people how to shoot and the key things we focus on with new shooters are sight alignment, stance, and trigger pull. With a handgun you have some more flexibility but with anything firing a larger round, you really don't. This is even more evident in the military regime.

Folding and collapsing stocks are cool, but they're like that for one reason: to make the weapon as compact as possible for transport. They're not shot with the stock folded or collapsed (though partially collapsed is ok when it's to fit the weapon to the shooter).

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

50Stone wrote:
Check out the Russian AN-94, it's the rifle with the reciprocating barrel to absorb the recoil

There is still recoil in the weapon. The reciprocating barrel helps to get the second shot fired before the recoil pulse has a chance to seriously effect the shooter.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

TK-1038 wrote:
The Weapons Are Mounted Around The Forearm, With The Firing Hand Gripping A The Usual Gun Handle & Trigger.
As For A Forearm Mount, That's Not The Point Of This Topic, And Is A Different Sort Of Weapon Concept Than The We're Talking About HereAny Arm-Mounted Weapons Will Be Usable By Either Left- Or Right-Handed Soldiers
The Weapons Are Designed To Slide Into Slots On A Gauntlet That The Wielder Will Be Using (You Will See This In Future Pics That I Do). The Weapon Slides Onto The Gauntlet & Locks Into Place. This Lock Is Strong, Yet The Weapon Can Be Pulled Off By An Average 10 Year-Old Boy.
<snip>
You Guys Are Still Cold On The Concept Though

From an ergonomics perspective it doesn't work. To aim the weapon you're going to have to extend your arm straight out in front of you and then tip your head to the side to get a line on the sights. You can't get into a stance like you would with a rifle or handgun, that is, bringing the weapon closer to the centerline of your body because by the design you will then be aiming the weapon towards your offhand side.

Try this: Tape a yardstick (or meter stick if that's what you have) to the top of your arm. On the front of the stick glue or tape a peanut or some other small object. At the rear of the stick, closest to your shoulder, glue or tape two peanuts. The front peanut will be along the center line and the rear peanuts along the sides. Now, extend your arm and try to line up the sights. It is going to be very, very difficult unless you raise the sights several inches (~4-6" or 10-16cm) above the stick.

Yes, you could raise the barrel, but then you have even more issues of recoil to deal with. The higher the bore is above the web of your hand (since this is a one handed weapon) the harder the weapon will be to control when it recoils. It's like a fulcrum; when you want to use a lever to move a rock, you put the lever point closer to the rock than to you so you have mechanical advantage. In your design, with the barrel (and it will need to be raised to align the sights and make it marginally useful) the recoil will have a major mechanical advantage over your strength to control the recoil impulse.

It's a cute idea for anime, but in the real world it'll sink faster than the Titanic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:23 pm 

You'll All See What I Mean When Get I Started On My Universe.

As For Now, I'm Rage Quiting This Topic Thread.

And I'm Sorta Calmed By The Fact That At Least Someone Can See Concept.