Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Phoenix Fleet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:42 pm 

Folks I have been working on a new set of drawings for my "Pilgrimage to Earth" story.
I thought it best to start a new thread as these ships tie in with the story line at present, the "Earth defence force" ships are merely a taster of things to come further into my saga.
They are warships as opposed to these ships from my Phoenix fleet which are all civilian.
Please read my story and hopefully you will get a clearer picture;

This ship is the Genesis ship, also known as the Chameleon ship. She has full stealth capabilities, and can "cloak" by projecting the image behind onto the front of the ship, she then becomes virtually invisible. Vitally she is home to the cryogenic chambers containing the volunteers as visited by Sire Dmitri

Here she is in stealth mode

Next is the hospital ship containing a state of the art triage suite, operating theatres, respite care, r and r facilities including bars and restaurants in three giant atriums at the top of the ship, and a chapel. The medevac shuttles are based on canis's Eagle transporters.

Finally for now the "Agrobot" or Agriculture and Botanical cruiser which contain all manner of flora and fauna, fields, forests and are the bread basket of the new Phoenix fleet.

Post subject: Re: The Phoenix Fleet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:08 pm 

Have you come up with thier statistics yet?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:13 pm 

Mm no not thought much about that to be honest other than the size chart - to be honest you can decide that among yourselves I don't really want to get bogged down with that cos too busy drawing the buggers lol. Also need to crack on with the second part of "a new beginning" all I can tell you thus far is that they have extra thick hull plating, the cradle (outer cage) houses a turbo lift transit system - no armament only electronic defence shields. Size wise they are massive, about the length of the Galactica (original series) but a little narrower. Some 500 tech crew - 20,000 mature humans in stasis on the Genesis ships. There are four of each ship in the fleet. More to follow but need to write first. Thanks for your interest hope you like them - Ivan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:14 am 

Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the 'Ship of Worship'

"The ship was unique in that she was not owned by any company or organisation, and was not under the jurisdiction of the military or council, she was neutral territory provided and built by volunteer construction crews who all had religious beliefs and wished her to be commissioned.

She had several distinctive features including a forward control center and bridge, a glass atrium leading to a massive church, behind which were two cloisters containing flower gardens, a maze and areas for people to gather and relax together. Behind these cloisters was an area with a black and white mosaic floor and a huge fountain, known as the fountain of youth. In this unique fountain was a stock of fish, which were to be used to feed the many guests, red meat and alcohol were not allowed.

One huge area at the stern of the vessel was however, off limits to the general masses, she was to become the private quarters of Dr. Zee and only his aides and invited guests were allowed here, she was distinctive from the rest of the vessel, in that, instead of the materials to construct the 'Monastery' she was built from sand coloured 'rocks' which were actually composite materials like the rest of the hull, it resembled a castle, again the cynics had a nickname for it, Dr. Zee's ivory tower".

Thanks go to Kurt for allowing me to mod the Kobol Ark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:37 pm 

After the fallout from Admiral Adama's trial the council agreed to implement several new measures to ensure a much fairer judicial system, it was clear the prison barge 'Astral Queen' was no longer fit for purpose, therefore a new ship was designed and commissioned by Dr Zee.

She was to be a variant of the hull design used for the 'Ship of Worship' used for Adama's trial, as the need to keep costs and time scales down was agreed, and as the ship of worship had proved a resounding success.

The new ship was to be become a home for the new law courts, and a penal colony, although she was by modern standards, a very comfortable and well appointed facility, she had all the usual 'home comforts' afforded to the most undesirable of inmates, that said, rehabilitation, rather than punishment was the preferred method of incarceration. There being so few souls left, capital punishment, though possible was a very last resort for the colonies.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you 'The Ship of Justice'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 pm 

I like the concept of these ships.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:11 pm 

Thank you rit57 - I'm considering doing more of these as there are ships that are desperately needed to rebuild the new colony on Terra - don't want to give too many spoilers away but if folks like this concept I will explain more in the story and continue?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 pm 

I would like to hear more about your story.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:28 am 

I would be happy to fill you in, but first I need to know what you know?
Have you read 'Pilgrimage' thus far, if not I would ask you please take the time to read it and many of your questions will be answered.
I do have a long term plan and will be happy to p.m you once I know where your at - as for The Ship of Worship/Justice yes there is a plan there, in fact there is a plan for all the ships and craft I draw!
Thank you rit57 for your interest I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:15 am 

I have just sent you a p.m rit57 hope it helps explain, all the best - Ivan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:15 pm 

Got it, thanks Ivanho.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:45 am 

"A new ship was to be commissioned as suggested by Sire Valentine to house a new senate for the Council of the Twelve".

The military and council were under pressure to make good on their promise to provide a ship to house all political parties from all twelve colonies, the new arrivals also expressed their desire for a voice on the council. In exchange for a free hand and no elections for four more years, the council had secured a mandate to continue their good work, a great many issues still needed urgent attention, therefore it was agreed by the population to cede power to the council for a further four years in exchange for tangible proof of their progress towards a new democracy for all.
To that end a new 'ship of' vessel was commissioned, once again using the hull design of the ship of Worship and Justice, to save both time and expense.

The vessel was designed to have three principle chambers, the Legislative Chambers (aft) to create new laws, the Executive Chambers (mid ships) to carry out these laws, and finally the Judicial Chambers (forward) to adjudicate on points of law, the latter working closely with the law courts on the Ship of Justice. As with the ship of Worship with each religion having its own berth, each Colony had its own berth symbolised with their official flag on the landing ports. Forward can be seen two further landing pads representing Kobol and Earth, though largely symbolic, were there as a reminder of where the Colonies, were, are, and hope to be in the future. The inscription on the side of the vessel giving further reminders to the political leaders of their responsibilities to the people with the words, "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it".

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you "The Ship of Governance".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

Looks good. Two observations...

1. I think the either the scale chart is off or you used the wrong size Raptor. Based on the size of the Raptor, the scale looks to be about 1px=1ft/.3m or so.

2. Do you think it is wise to put "all the eggs into one basket" like this? A determined strike against the ship could decapitate civil government.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:05 pm 

I will look at the scale issue when I've had a good nights sleep! As for the eggs in one basket issue- I have a reason for commissioning this ship - though I accept your observation is obviously totally valid, Sire Dmitri and Admiral Adama had a real dilemma with this and pointed it out to the populous that she was a 'sitting duck' but were overruled in a vote of the civilians, therefore Dr.Zee spent hours and hours without sleep to develop a series of measures, one of which is the inclusion of the new cloaking technology used in the Genesis ships when designing her.
I am trying to position my story to include the dilemma of staying put on Terra and facing down the Cylons, against having a fully mobile community that can escape at short notice and still have a fully functioning society in space if needed. Either option would be fraught with danger!
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds good.

If you want some good source material, if only to paint the picture of the gritty side, check out High Colonies. I think I've mentioned it here before (quite a few years back), but it bears mentioning again. It's a game set in the near future after Earth began building space habitats and after a massive cataclysmic war pretty much rendered Earth uninhabitable. There's a big meta plot that was never explored because the company didn't produce the followup products (Earth had developed a prototype FTL drive and aliens, unknown to humanity, triggered the global war to keep humanity from expanding into interstellar space), but it does have a very rich background (that's also a child of the late 80s and early 90s) that provides a lot of crunchy ideas. You can find the pdf here:

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/ ... 026611.pdf

Kurt

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook