Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Phoenix Fleet
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:48 am 

Thanks very much Kurt that looks really useful, when I get time I will read through it but duty calls today.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:08 am 

Hey Kurt;
I am having trouble with the scale issue, according to my size chart this ship is 14,500 feet long which is around 4.4196 kilometres in length, so my size chart is way out I'm afraid, you were right, I anticipate the ship to be around 2km in length so will alter it, hope it then makes sense, suggestions?

Frankly I was concentrating on the drawing and used Canis's original size cart from your Kobol Ark which doesn't fit in with my mods does it?

Sorry about the frack up folks, please bear with me on this, scale and dimension aren't my strong point as you can see, I was concentrating on getting the aesthetics and general look right.

I will hold off altering it till someone can confirm this for me - going to settle on 2km length I think, then will change chart if all agree.

I don't want to get too bogged down with this issue as time isn't on my side now I'm back at work full time, want to crack on with episode 9 and supporting drawings if you are all still with me :)

With regards to your second observation Kurt, that will be covered more in future episodes, but as I said earlier, yes I agree with your point in principle totally

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Two easy things...change the Raptor on the pad to the Battlestar scale version and use the battlestar scale instead of the one currently used. Those are the easy fixes.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:26 am 

Ok this is right now I think - I hope :o

I estimate the large shuttles to be around 300 feet in length and the Phoenix lander at the bow behind the bridge to be around 100 feet

If you all think this sounds ok I'll go with this

I changed the shuttle to a phoenix lander as it would have been too small to see

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Looks good!

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:27 am 

Folks, these are the newly refurbished luxury liners donated to the people of the colonies by Sire Galen as mentioned in my fanfic 'Pilgrimage to Earth' episode ten 'Liberty'

I include excerpts from the saga to explain....

“Ladies and Gentlemen, the wait is almost over, I am about to reveal the name of the first vessel, but whilst we await the arrival of the tugs containing the light show, I will reveal a few details on this first liner, she is in effect the largest gambling chancery ever to be built in space, she is equipped with all the latest state of the art gaming tables including many copied from our data from Earth, including gin rummy, black jack, poker, solitaire, roulette, in fact every conceivable game there is on Earth and in the colonies, and as my military friends, especially Air Chief Marshall Starbuck will be delighted to hear, a suite of pyramid tables, enough to stage the largest tournaments in the history of the colonies".

Last edited by Ivanho on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:30 am 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, you are now viewing the second of our four sisters, she is the largest water park ever to be commissioned in space, she houses the finest in water sports and aquatic adventures for all, from young children taking to the water for the first time, to seasoned experts in all things aquatic... she has wave pools, slides, competition pools, even machines to provide training in deep water diving, and of course training for scuba diving".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:33 am 

“My friends, what you now see before you, my third vessel, contains the most sophisticated sports hub ever to have been built, not only on a vessel, but indeed anywhere in the colonies, she is to be the centrepiece of one of my initiatives, to provide the very best in health and fitness to all our citizens, with all the very latest cardio vascular exercise machines, training facilities, and monitoring equipment available, she is in effect the largest all inclusive gymnasium and sports science facility in space.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:35 am 

“For my final vessel to be commissioned today Ladies and Gentlemen, I have in effect left the best till last, meaning, of all the four vessels, she was the most expensive to build, and as such has the most lavish fixtures and fittings, she was at the time of her construction to have been for only the wealthiest and most distinguished of guests.
On board you will find only the finest of en-suite facilities, grand ballrooms and dining halls. She is the ship where one can fully relax, knowing every conceivable need has been catered for, in point of fact, designed so that one does not have to lift a finger, with maids and valets appointed to each guest suite.

One further item of note, you will see Ladies and gentlemen, atop the vessel and between the two giant domes in the centre, a huge tower, this tower was designed to provide a secluded first class set of facilities for only the most discerning of guests, and as such is completely segregated to provide privacy and seclusion, if so desired. That said, I will be opening up this facility to all in turn, I wish for no class systems here in the fleet or on Terra, as agreed by the council and military, all will be treated as equals on these wonderful new vessels".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Absolutely badass! Well done!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:29 pm 

Thanks very much Kurt
more info on the ships for you, due to the new successfully tested field generators it became possible to open up the promenade decks to allow passengers go outside without the need for spacesuits or breathing apparatus - this new technology not only gave the planet Terra and the fleet a defence shield but Also provided the ability to create an atmosphere under said shield, thus allowing for the possibility of terraforming other planets or at least colonising Terra more widely.
Needless to say this proved to be a critical breakthrough for the colonies. More on this later in my saga.

Glad you like the ships I appreciate your feedback as always

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm...

Odd thought and I'm not even sure how it would work in a tactical scenario...

How large is the field generator? Depending on the size, creating a significant volume of atmosphere between the attacker and the target could have interesting consequences on kinetic rounds. For example, if a field could be created that's 10km across, that would mean that a kinetic round would have to traverse between ~4km and 9km (you don't want it to go down the center for fear of hitting the generating ship) and take about a second to go through. In that second, the projectile would heat due to friction, lose velocity due to drag, and between the two, would shed its accuracy due to the sudden introduction of drag and friction. For missiles, it could have similar defensive effects though they could be even more dramatic as the missile tries to compensate (most likely using vectored thrust) which could cause the missile to spin out of control and break up.

Finally, and perhaps the most insidious, is if the generators can be made small enough to fit into a capital ship missile, for it to accompany a swarm of nuclear missiles and when near the target, it would activate and thus provide an atmosphere for all the nasty effects that a nuke can create: shock from overpressure, heat pulse, etc.

Just some ideas off the top of my head...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:56 am 

Thanks for your input I was hoping you would comment to allow me to elaborate further.
Within the scenario I envisage this technology due to its infancy has a few flaws it’s true but one has to bear in mind it’s creation puts the colonies in a different sphere to the Cylons - a real game changer.

It was only ever meant as a defence mechanism at first, however it soon became apparent it had a great many useful other uses such as terraforming.
As you correctly point out the power needed to generate such a field would be immense and when using on the pleasure liners, passengers could only go ‘outside’ for short periods of time, usually about one hour before the generators would need to be shut down in order to cool off and save power.
Also bear in mind the ships were completed prior to this new technology being introduced which is why the main areas on the promenade decks and tower are fully sealed from space.

It had been successfully tested in such a way all the power of the defence shield could track the trajectory of, and be fully concentrated at the point at which incoming ordinance hit the shield.

Although your technical observations concerning the use of this technology to magnify the power of nukes is valid this was never in the plans initially, the military concentrating their efforts on defence rather than attack.

I hope this explains a little but I will be covering this in more detail in forthcoming episodes of “Pilgrimage”

My next episode will contain a lot of technical jargon so I will need to go and do my research like a good boy, otherwise I’ll get shot down in flames right kurt!

Please bear with me on the technical aspects here folks - as you all know the emotional side rather than technical is my er -field- of expertise, see what I did there!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:20 pm 

I like these, no I mean everything so far is great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:34 am 

Thank you so much my friend