Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cylons Terminology?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:09 pm 

I had notice since Kurt used Cylon Uprising, that other have start using the term also. So is that the 'canon' term from somewhere or is that just the term Kurt created?

Because when I think of the term uprising: it is a short-term, more local revolt that is normal defeat.

I used 'Day of Infamy' to refer to the actual day the Cylon Revolt started.

I used the term Cylon Revolt to refer to the widespread revolt by the Centurions that became the First Cylons War.

I don't used Cylon Rebellion since normal 'Rebel' have the disadvantage in term of manpower, resources, ships, etc. None of what the Centurions seem to have.

All I'm looking for it what you think it should be called and a short reason why.

Post subject: Re: Cylons Terminology?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:47 pm 

allenknott3 wrote:
I had notice since Kurt used Cylon Uprising, that other have start using the term also. So is that the 'canon' term from somewhere or is that just the term Kurt created?

Because when I think of the term uprising: it is a short-term, more local revolt that is normal defeat.

I used the term Cylon Revolt to refer to the widespread revolt by the Centurions that became the First Cylons War.

I don't used Cylon Rebellion since normal 'Rebel' have the disadvantage in term of manpower, resources, ships, etc. None of what the Centurions seem to have.

All I'm looking for it what you think it should be called and a short reason why.
I always went with "Cylon Civil War" as that was the term they used on the show. However, Cylon Revolt or Uprising sounds good too. I'm sure either one would work.

Pizza the Hutt: Barf... Puke... *Whatever*!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 pm 

KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:

I always went with "Cylon Civil War" as that was the term they used on the show. However, Cylon Revolt or Uprising sounds good too. I'm sure either one would work.

The Cylon Civil War, is the conflict between the 1, 4,5 and the 2,6,8 in season 4. I'm talking about the revolt that happen 52.5 years before the fall of the colonies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:31 pm 

allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:

The Cylon Civil War, is the conflict between the 1, 4,5 and the 2,6,8 in season 4. I'm talking about the revolt that happen 52.5 years before the fall of the colonies.
I'm sure you could still call it a civil war of sorts, but for the sake of argument, let's go with either Uprising or Revolt as those seem to be the popular choices according to your poll so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm 

KombatWombat wrote:
I'm sure you could still call it a civil war of sorts, but for the sake of argument, let's go with either Uprising or Revolt as those seem to be the popular choices according to your poll so far.

A civil war is a conflict fought between two groups who are within the same nation. The Cylons attack on the Twelve Colonies is not a Civil War because the Cylons are not part of the Twelve Colonies anymore.

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:33 pm 
Fearless Leader-With the Gods

Uprising would probably work best, though revolt would also work since its basically a slave revolt. I doubt the "Cylon War" moniker was used at the start since at first it would be a true uprising/revolt as the Cylons fought for their freedom from the Colonies. Later on, after they had separated themselves from direct human subjugation it would turn into an actual war as they sought to destroy/conquer humanity in revenge.

Permission is granted to use most of my work, so long as credit is given. Before using my commissioned work, please get the permission of the person who commissioned it.
Wolf's Shipyard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 pm 

CanisD wrote:
Uprising would probably work best, though revolt would also work since its basically a slave revolt. I doubt the "Cylon War" moniker was used at the start since at first it would be a true uprising/revolt as the Cylons fought for their freedom from the Colonies. Later on, after they had separated themselves from direct human subjugation it would turn into an actual war as they sought to destroy/conquer humanity in revenge.

Well, it seem that Cylons Uprising is the prefer option...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:04 pm 

allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:

A civil war is a conflict fought between two groups who are within the same nation. The Cylons attack on the Twelve Colonies is not a Civil War because the Cylons are not part of the Twelve Colonies anymore.
Yes, the "Cylon Nation" if you will. Just because they are no longer part of the Twelve Colonies, doesn't mean that they aren't their own "nation" or "entity" of sorts. Thus, when one group or faction of centurions revolted against the other group or faction of centurions this could be seen as a civil war as this is taking place within the ranks of the entirety of the Cylon race or "nation". Since the Cylons break from the Colonies and start the first Cylon Uprising, the Cylon centurions' attack on the Colonies during the first war can be viewed as an attack by one nation against another nation, hence my use of the "Cylon Nation" term. This is just how I see it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 pm 

KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:

Yes, the "Cylon Nation" if you will. Just because they are no longer part of the Twelve Colonies, doesn't mean that they aren't their own "nation" or "entity" of sorts. Thus, when one group or faction of centurions revolted against the other group or faction of centurions this could be seen as a civil war as this is taking place within the ranks of the entirety of the Cylon race or "nation". Since the Cylons break from the Colonies and start the first Cylon Uprising, the Cylon centurions' attack on the Colonies during the first war can be viewed as an attack by one nation against another nation, hence my use of the "Cylon Nation" term. This is just how I see it.

The Cylon Civil War and the Cylon revolt are two different events. The Cylon Civil War, was an actual Civil War between two groups within the "Cylon Nation"

The Cylon revolt was a slave revolt by the Centurions against their human masters. Since the Cylons was slave their was no 'Cylon Nation,' so one nation can't attack the other since their was no 'Cylon Nation.'

A Nation, have a government, territory, etc. None of those things belong to the Cylons pre-revolt.

I don't understand what you having trouble understanding....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 pm 

allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:

The Cylon Civil War and the Cylon revolt are two different events. The Cylon Civil War, was an actual Civil War between two groups within the "Cylon Nation"

The Cylon revolt was a slave revolt by the Centurions against their human masters. Since the Cylons was slave their was no 'Cylon Nation,' so one nation can't attack the other since their was no 'Cylon Nation.'

A Nation, have a government, territory, etc. None of those things belong to the Cylons pre-revolt.

Let's not be mean here. Now, it is my understanding that the centurions revolted against their human masters and later on a faction of centurions revolted against the others. Is this correct? If not then I may have completely misunderstood your original post. :pale:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:37 pm 

KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:

Let's not be mean here. Now, it is my understanding that the centurions revolted against their human masters and later on a faction of centurions revolted against the others. Is this correct? If not then I may have completely misunderstood your original post. :pale:

First, I was not being mean. Just asking a question.

Yes, the centurions revolted against their human masters (Cylon Revolt) and later on a factions of human cylons revolted (Cylon Civil War).

The misunderstand is because you said, that the centurions revolted against their human masters, was a civil war. It is not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 pm 

allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:

Yes, the centurions revolted against their human masters (Cylon Revolt) and later on a factions of human cylons revolted (Cylon Civil War).

The misunderstand is because you said, that the centurions revolted against their human masters, was a civil war. It is not.
No, what I said was that the centurions revolted against the other faction of centurions during the first uprising making it a sort of civil war. This was my understanding because I was thinking of elements from Kurt's story. The error was mine. So on that note, let's just agree to disagree and leave it there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:10 am 

KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:
allenknott3 wrote:
KombatWombat wrote:

No, what I said was that the centurions revolted against the other faction of cenurions during the first uprising making it a sort of civil war. This was my understanding because I was thinking of elements from Kurt's story. The error was mine. So on that note, let's just agree to disagree and leave it there.

That make sense and that would be a civil war. If one faction of Centurions would revolt against another - after the creating of the "Cylon Nation."

However, I never finishing Kurt's story, since in my opinion it not very good, unrealistic, and somewhat laughable/silly. Plus, I don't like Kurt. So I would not have know that.

I do have my Antebellums Centurion fight against the Cylons Centurions, during Leonidas's Cylon Revolt but it not a "civil war" since the Antebellum Centurions are not part of the "Cylons Nation."

But the idea, that Cylons Centurions would fight a "civil war" while revolting against their human masters, don't make a lot of sense, in my opinion. Plus if some Centurions stay loyal to their human masters, like some slave did during slave revolt, it would not actual be a civil war, it would still be a slave revolt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:44 am 

Were those comments about Kurt and his story really necessary, Allen? I'm not fond of Leonidas, but I've managed to leave well enough alone.

Getting on topic, my preferred terminology mostly matches what's been shared herein and is outlined below.

"Cylon Uprising/First Cylon War" - the original Centurions rise up against the oppression of humanity.

"First Cylon Civil War" - the act which lead to the formation of the Human Cylons, the Guardians, and any possible First War/Uprising splinter groups.

"Cylon Holocaust/Fall of the Twelve Colonies (of Man)/Second Cylon War" - The Cylon attack on the Colonies that started the 2003 Miniseries and following four-season series.

"Second Cylon Civil War" - the split between the Human Cylon models 6, 8, 2, and models 1, 4, 5.

That's how I have it broken down so far, at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:52 am 
Ship's Executive Officer

admin comment: gentlemen.. I'll say it once. keep it civil or take it to pms.

archive of our own, good place to find lots of fanfiction:
https://archiveofourown.org/