Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth Defence Force
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:32 am 

Having completed Adama's battle fleet in just a few short months, Sire Galen's stock was ever rising. Now wishing to stake his claim to be the master shipbuilder in the fleet as his father was before him, he undertook the next stage of the evolution of the new fleet.
He realised he needed to be ever quicker and more autonomous, with his workforce now dwindling due to the warriors returning to their ships. More construction worker's were being trained, although this would take time, he knew he had to work smarter as well as harder.

To this end a new and more versatile group of construction platforms were manufactured, not to replace but to compliment the existing fleet. The first of the next four platforms was constructed in just two short months, a record which had never been set before, earning Galen a prestigious design award.

Unlike it's predecessor, it was symmetrical and could dock on either the port or starboard sides giving it much greater flexibility. The conning tower was permanently moved rearwards and a state of the art viewing platform constructed across the upper deck allowing engineers and designers to observe progress on the new crafts as they were being constructed. Included at the centre of this viewing gallery was a crew canteen which could double as a restaurant for the anticipated clients to view and inspect in comfort their new craft being constructed before their eyes.

Another new addition was the ability for the cranes to traverse forward, rearward and sideways.

The first four craft, known as block 2 were named as the block 1 series, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta but with the Roman numeral II added, the next step in project Albrachadel was born.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:36 am 

Here she is docked with one of her sister ships, Alpha....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:38 am 

...and here is the full constructionstar Albrachadel II.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Looking good!

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:52 am 

The most ambitious plan yet hatched in Galen's mind, no less than twelve craft were commissioned, together with extension rafts, to eventually form a construction city orbiting Terra, with the eventual goal of building or servicing any ship of any size, including the planned staging posts. These were in fact space stations to be placed between Terra and Earth at regular intervals. One controlled by Terra a quarter the distance, one half way, to be known as the neutral zone and one three quarters the way to Earth to be under their control....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:59 am 

With realisation dawning on Galen that the massive cost of this mega construction may be it's Achilles heel, he set about a budget alternative which could operate in far orbit with less capital vessels needed to service it. This set of rafts forming a giant quilt making it possible to have a minimum compliment of crew stationed in far orbit, freeing them to operate within the quadrant of Terra. In each of it's corners were habitation modules, these individual modules could be attached to a construction platform, a full constructionstar, or many other vessels, a game changer for Galen....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:00 am 

Thanks Kurt, I have tried to marry the best of both our idea's - I'm pretty happy with these and will move on to the auxiliary ships next

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:02 pm 

As usual I forgot to mention another simple but key feature of the block 2’s - the tracks holding the cranes went through to the very ends of the platform so as to enable the cranes to be moved across the entire grid from one ship or raft to another. This way if any particular part of the new ship being constructed fell behind schedule, more men and equipment could be redirected to this part of the site. Powerful hydraulic rams and end stops negated the possibility of any accident involving cranes running over the edge of the construction platform.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:48 pm 

Very cool. You did justice to the critiques.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

TurboCoupeTurbo wrote:
Very cool. You did justice to the critiques.

Agreed.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:50 am 

Thanks again guys, constructive criticism is always welcome it helps me raise my game. I just wish I could get more feedback on my fanfic, talking of which I need to get back to that again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:12 am 

This is the first of my fleet of Auxiliary ships, the supply ship Bulwark. Although largely unarmed she does have point defence weapons and the new deep scan tower aft of the main conning tower, as can be found on the new carriers and construction vessels. Note she has a flat uncontoured edge on both the port and starboard sides so as to be able to berth directly alongside the recipient vessel....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting design. One question...does it really need all the landing bays? I've noticed that (not just yours, but a couple Canis did as well) some supply ships have an extraordinary number of little landing bays, all eating into the internal volume of the ship, in addition to the large, primary bays.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:45 am 

In a perfect world no but it’s all about adaptability and reusability in my universe Kurt.

The whole premise of my story is that they had little in the way of raw materials until recently finding a nearby asteroid belt. Together with the fact that every support vessel had to perform several tasks including conversion into a warship should the need arise.

This particular vessel along with my construction ships can be fairly easily converted into an aircraft carrier should the worse case scenario ensue and they lose ships in battle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:47 am 

Ladies and Gents, the last for now of my S.A.S (space and sea) aircraft carriers, capable of orbit and landing on the ocean surface as a conventional wet navy vessel. This one, the Defiant is a supply carrier being used for training new pilot, shuttle and deck hand recruits for the forthcoming mission to Earth.

Here she is in orbit:

....and in ocean going mode:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next