Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:20 am 

I'm just curious what you lot fron the states think about this...

Trump eyes military parade for July 4 celebrations

...for someone that wouldn't serve when called during Vietnam, he sure seems to love playing general! :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Political snipes aside, I think it's a good idea.

The US Army used to have live fire demonstrations and open houses on Armed Forces Day every May though 1993 or so, when they were canceled under then President Bill Clinton. These demonstrations essentially put on display the major weapons systems currently in use and then offered live fire demonstrations so that the average citizen could see what their military was capable of.

I still remember going down to Aberdeen Proving Ground for their AFD open house and watching a race between the M-60A3 and M-1 (~1981 or so), another time being in the main front stands and feeling a warm downwash and looking up to see an AH-64 hovering about fifty to seventy-five meters above me, and another time driving onto the grounds and having to go through a thick grove of trees and being "strafed" by a pair of A-10s. It wasn't all contemporary military stuff, either. The last year it was live fire, there was an English Civil War re-enactment group that demonstrated how a pike unit went from marching to preparing to repel a charge to doing a pike lunge.

So yes, I think it's very worthwhile.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:16 pm 

kfeltenberger wrote:
Political snipes aside, I think it's a good idea.

The US Army used to have live fire demonstrations and open houses on Armed Forces Day every May though 1993 or so, when they were canceled under then President Bill Clinton. These demonstrations essentially put on display the major weapons systems currently in use and then offered live fire demonstrations so that the average citizen could see what their military was capable of.

I still remember going down to Aberdeen Proving Ground for their AFD open house and watching a race between the M-60A3 and M-1 (~1981 or so), another time being in the main front stands and feeling a warm downwash and looking up to see an AH-64 hovering about fifty to seventy-five meters above me, and another time driving onto the grounds and having to go through a thick grove of trees and being "strafed" by a pair of A-10s. It wasn't all contemporary military stuff, either. The last year it was live fire, there was an English Civil War re-enactment group that demonstrated how a pike unit went from marching to preparing to repel a charge to doing a pike lunge.

So yes, I think it's very worthwhile.

What you're describing is more like an Air Show, which I quite understand & approve of, but the whole tanks on main street thing, that's very USSR/DPRK Dictator having a Propaganda day, it just doesn't seem very "leader of the free world" to me, more like "I have a gun at your head, now do as I say", I guess we'll have to wait and see how they do it, though if it's like everything else Trump does it will be big & gaudy.

I guess the main difference is the "Air Show" type of event is open to the public but not televised to a national audience, where as this parade would be a national TV event & would also appear on global TV if only snip-its in the news, the former is for local information/feel good factor, the later is for international messaging.

As for the "Political snipes aside", I guess that was about the last line I wrote, that wasn't meant to be Political, it's just an observation, from what I've read on various news sites from several countries, he ducked the draft several times, but now seems gung-ho on everything military, hence "he sure seems to love playing general!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

For decades, the press has taken a collective crap on the military and only praised them when it suited their purposes. I think it would be great to honor the troops; we had these parades prior to the Vietnam war when supporting the military suddenly became something people were forced to do clandestinely. It abated somewhat after El Dorado Canyon in 1986, and more so after Desert Storm. The first few years of Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom, the military was celebrated. Then, about 2004-2005, things changed and ever since the military has gotten short shrift by the press.

Now, I think it's a nice thing to celebrate the military, the people who when they take the oath essentially write a check to the government that any amount can be drawn up to and including their lives, and if at the same time it gives certain foreign actors a sense that there's a new sheriff in town and the "leading from behind" that was seen from 1/2009 to 1/2017 is a thing of the past.

Besides...I think it's pretty cool.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:38 am 

I think the parade would be a good idea. I've always fully supported our military; I think more people should. Freedom isn't free, and the people that pay the price should be honored. I'm old enough to remember a few parades as a kid where the National Guard was openly booed for participating. It'd be nice for these folks to get the respect their service deserves.

As far as the current president's military record...I find it funny that no one brings up the fact that the last president also didn't serve, and only two of the last four did.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Dishonored wrote:

As far as the current president's military record...I find it funny that no one brings up the fact that the last president also didn't serve, and only two of the last four did.

One of which was cleared to carry and deploy nuclear weapons when he was on duty, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 pm 

Electromage wrote:
What you're describing is more like an Air Show, which I quite understand & approve of, but the whole tanks on main street thing, that's very USSR/DPRK Dictator having a Propaganda day, it just doesn't seem very "leader of the free world" to me, more like "I have a gun at your head, now do as I say", I guess we'll have to wait and see how they do it, though if it's like everything else Trump does it will be big & gaudy.

I guess the main difference is the "Air Show" type of event is open to the public but not televised to a national audience, where as this parade would be a national TV event & would also appear on global TV if only snip-its in the news, the former is for local information/feel good factor, the later is for international messaging.

As for the "Political snipes aside", I guess that was about the last line I wrote, that wasn't meant to be Political, it's just an observation, from what I've read on various news sites from several countries, he ducked the draft several times, but now seems gung-ho on everything military, hence "he sure seems to love playing general!"

Funny in France every July 14th they have a military parade in Paris and I never hear people whine and cry the blues about it.

Living in the DC area I don't go downtown for these things. Every year we have a big 4th celebration. It is what it is.

I think the parade was a great idea. If small cities and towns across the republic can have a parade (some with Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen in them) why not the Capitol of the Free world?

Oh hey the republic didn't end. Though you may see some news in the not too distant that will make you wonder why it didn't end before this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:42 am 

As a French, I personally enjoy (and I am sure at least 80% of the french population) looking at the défilé du 14 juillet (14th July parade) shown on television.
It would be a big no-no, perhaps a new revolution, if any future president stated that it is a waste of time and money and cancel those.
Firemen, the Garde Républicaine and over all the French Foreign Legion are the most applauded.

I remember when President Trump was invited to Paris as a guest to the 14th July and all the press said that he was very impressed by what he saw and was willing to do something like that in the US.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

One of my favorite movies had to have many of the air to air scenes filmed on July 14th because of airspace restrictions over Paris. If you get a chance, watch Les Chevaliers du ciel (Sky Fighters in the US) and be prepared to be blown away by the cinematography; it puts pretty much every other movie of the genre into a distant second place because all the scenes were shot live, no CGI.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 pm 

I agree whole heartedly with Kurt on this SSGT Schulz , USAF, Security Police, '81-'93

Let this be the hour when we draw swords together.
Fell deeds awake.
Now for wrath,
now for ruin,
and the red dawn.
Forth, Eorlingas!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:36 pm 

Schulz189 wrote:
I agree whole heartedly with Kurt on this SSGT Schulz , USAF, Security Police, '81-'93

Where? I worked for the Bolling AFB Civil Engineer's Squadron from 1979 until the base tot BRACed and the Navy took over and then for another few years until I retired before my back gave out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:08 pm 

Oh well let's see I was on a mobile base defense team so I traveled around a bit I was at Rhine mine, Westover, Dover, McGuire, Robbins, Little Rock, Selfridge, Davis-Monthan in Tucson, Kirtland and Rosie roads dot-dot-dot I did combat Tours in Panama Grenada Honduras and was called out of retirement for Operation Desert Storm

Let this be the hour when we draw swords together.
Fell deeds awake.
Now for wrath,
now for ruin,
and the red dawn.
Forth, Eorlingas!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:02 am 

Schulz189 wrote:
Oh well let's see I was on a mobile base defense team so I traveled around a bit I was at Rhine mine, Westover, Dover, McGuire, Robbins, Little Rock, Selfridge, Davis-Monthan in Tucson, Kirtland and Rosie roads dot-dot-dot I did combat Tours in Panama Grenada Honduras and was called out of retirement for Operation Desert Storm

Thank you for your service.