Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ground Units
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 5239
Location: Battlestar Hecate BSG-94
I was going through a box of books the other night and found one of Keith Laumer's "Bolo" anthologies. This started me wondering what the upper size for Colonial/Cylon ground units might be. I think that once you get to a certain size, it becomes a valid target for ortillery strikes, but even then, the cost, maintenance requirements, and value compared to the resources used would make anything much larger than perhaps twice or four times the size of a modern MBT a diminishing return.

Though, I can see the Cylons designing something along a later Mk. Bolo...

_________________
Kurt

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ground Units
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 am
Posts: 579
Ground pressures and the able to be transported are going to be the limiting factors for how big Colonial ground units can get.

How big are the highways and train tunnels that the large heavy units will use to transit between operating areas? Likely, those large units will be placed onto freight trains or tractor trailer trucks to save wear and tear, and thus will have to fit into the existing infrastructure. From that maximum size, you can extrapolate the maximum weight from how much ground pressure the vehicle will have.

Now, we don't know how large the infrastructure is in the BSG world, but I wouldn't be surprised if RDM assumed it would be about the same size as the modern world's infrastructure.

So, I personally don't see the Colonials developing anything much larger than main battle tanks or heavy tanks. Unless, of course, the Colonials have a vastly different style of infrastructure than we do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ground Units
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:09 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 5239
Location: Battlestar Hecate BSG-94
I completely agree with regards to Colonial hardware. Cylon hardware, though, I don't know. Given that there is a form of anti-grav, or at least something that nullifies gravity (while not explicitly stated, it has to be there given the very small lift jets see on the ships that were lifting off from New Caprica as well as when the Intersun Liner lifted off from Caprica City in the pilot), this could be used to greatly lessen the ground pressure issue.

It's an interesting thought exercise.

_________________
Kurt

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ground Units
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 am
Posts: 579
It would depend on how efficient the anti-grav and power generators are. If they are Star Wars level efficient, then absolutely. I mean, they pretty much left things hovering around even when the vehicle was unoccupied. But, since it isn't really explored in the series, you can certainly make up your own rules for them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ground Units
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 5239
Location: Battlestar Hecate BSG-94
TurboCoupeTurbo wrote:
It would depend on how efficient the anti-grav and power generators are. If they are Star Wars level efficient, then absolutely. I mean, they pretty much left things hovering around even when the vehicle was unoccupied. But, since it isn't really explored in the series, you can certainly make up your own rules for them.



Hmm...

Image

_________________
Kurt

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ground Units
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:00 am
Posts: 457
Location: Australia
kfeltenberger wrote:
TurboCoupeTurbo wrote:
It would depend on how efficient the anti-grav and power generators are. If they are Star Wars level efficient, then absolutely. I mean, they pretty much left things hovering around even when the vehicle was unoccupied. But, since it isn't really explored in the series, you can certainly make up your own rules for them.



Hmm...

Image


Why limit yourself?

Think BIG for a change! :lol:

_________________
Due to PhotoBucket’s recent “UP DATE” I’ve deleted my account, all my stuff can be found on my DeviantArt Page.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ground Units
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:19 pm
Posts: 46
kfeltenberger wrote:
I was going through a box of books the other night and found one of Keith Laumer's "Bolo" anthologies. This started me wondering what the upper size for Colonial/Cylon ground units might be. I think that once you get to a certain size, it becomes a valid target for ortillery strikes, but even then, the cost, maintenance requirements, and value compared to the resources used would make anything much larger than perhaps twice or four times the size of a modern MBT a diminishing return.


Every thing on a battlefield that is shooting at you is a valid target for ortillery strikes. Grunts like cannon cockers. If Arty does it nobody gets hurt. Grunts will ask for arty at the drop of a hat. Mortars are pretty good except they don't have the burst radius of the field guns.

Heck Kurt even a 40mm grenade launcher is good.Especially if the "grenadier" is good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ground Units
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:00 am
Posts: 1788
Isn't there a Cylon tank seen in a flashback scene during the season, it was defo tracked.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ground Units
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:25 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 5239
Location: Battlestar Hecate BSG-94
I seem to recall that there was a tank shown in one of the flashbacks or scenes from Razor or B&C.

Hmm...I wonder if the Ratte would work...

_________________
Kurt

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group