Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:00 pm 

I´ve not been here in a while, so this is a shocker.
I think I speak for everybody here that he will be missed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:31 pm 

I've got quite a bit of Canis' stuff on thumb drives, especially stuff he did for me, but also a lot of what he did for others.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:10 am 

Hello,

I just wanted to say that this has been a very difficult, and extremely personal loss for me. Dave was a personal friend of mine in real life for 22 years. I've known him since I was in my teens and he was in his twenties. Dave was one of my best friends and writing this is an extremely difficult thing. I'm afraid that today, weeks after his passing is the first time I even made an account on his forums.

I first met Dave at an event our local mall held called Game Night, sponsored by a game shop called Boardwalk and Park Place. My father, Richard Raisley (creator of the HeavyMetal Pro Battletech Software) and I came there hearing that they played Battletech. That is where we met Dave, and what started a wonderful long, entire family friendship. Since his passing, his Uncle has asked me to get some of his old books and miniatures as he told me he would have wanted me to have them. I have split them with another friend of mine. We would like to post some of his items though not strictly space miniatures, some are from Battletech and Warhammer 40k as well.

I also grabbed a small model (maybe 4 inches long) of the Galactica. At first I thought it was one of his many miniatures that he helped design. After I had it home a couple days, I realized it was a USB drive that had some of his drawings on it. He has many drawings backed up on to this. I'm unsure if these have been posted or not. The dates on the folder go back to 3/27/13. He has 3.63gb worth of drawings on them. I'm sure we would want to add these to the forums somehow if we are able to.

I'd like to get with the site mod to find out if there is an easy way for me to transfer this large collection of drawings.

Lastly, I'd like to say this to Dave. I've said it plenty of times in my head, but I wanted to get this out.

Dave, you were one of my best friends. I will always cherish our many years of friendship. You were always the first to correct me on my view of the rules. You were always had such wonderful "choice" phrases when the rolls didn't quite go your way. Your creativity knew no bounds. You had the biggest heart and always was there for me to listen to whatever trivial problems I may have had. I'll miss our long conversations about gaming, Star Wars, BSG, other Sci-Fi, and life in general. There just wasn't enough time, but I'm so honored to have known you and to have called you my friend. I miss you every day. Farewell dear friend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:19 pm 
Ship's Executive Officer

contact kurt, here at memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=586 with the details, I'm not presently set up to handle this at the moment, so I'm passing you to someone who can.

archive of our own, good place to find lots of fanfiction:
https://archiveofourown.org/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:22 pm 

Handing it off to Kurt would be for the best in order to maintain secrecy on any remaining ships Kurt has left.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:43 pm 

Thanks, will do. I think it is only right that we share a little bit more of what Dave was and what he did, for all of us.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:50 pm 

Drac, these are some very kind words. And very kind of you wanting to share a part of David's legacy. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:12 pm 

Drac,

Your words have had a affect on all of us and it is true that every person that has had the pleasure to meet and interact with "Canis" or Dave if you wish have lost a friend and teacher to some of us and a inspiration for many of us. As for me, he inspired and encouraged me to try something new and to in some small way... to be better person. I think we will all morn his untimely passing...and will try harder to see that this little part of him that he loved continues on.

V/R
Sean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:12 pm 

Very great story and words Drac :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:03 pm 

Thank you very much Drac, it takes real character to think of others at a time of sadness for you

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:22 pm 

Thank you all so much for your kind words as well. The past few days I've been going through some stuff that his Uncle said I should have as Dave would have wanted it that way. It includes some drawings found on a thumb drive, miniatures from BSG, Battletech, and Warhammer 40k. I'd like to, once I'm done organizing his stuff, get some of his stuff auctioned to those that could better use some of it or donated so I can give money to his Uncle who has now moved to Florida with other relatives. His uncle isn't in the best of health either and though he'll be missed, I think it is best for him. Mostly what I think we'll sell are his Battlestar Galactica ship miniatures, though I'd like to keep some for memories. I have nothing against it, in fact I quite enjoyed the series, but I'd like somebody who loved it as much as he did to have them. I also found a few binders with his drawings that he did by hand. Let me stay that these are very similar to his PC drawings, but I think these are simply stunning and seem extra special to me. I'd like to share those with you as well once I get them scanned. I'll also be taking pictures of some of the stuff he painted as well.

Things are still very tough, going through his personal belongings. It seems wrong, nearly theft to me in some ways. To me though, he was a man of such creative talent, it would be an absolute crime and tragedy if something were to happen to them. When I can I'll post pictures.

Again, thank you all. You are all wonderful, and I know you all miss him as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:44 pm 

*offers hugs* :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:09 am 

"stunned". i am at a loss for words to say. Canis and i had some interaction on the site and what little was said was nothing more than encouragement to me as i was trying to see if i had any artistic skills. he encouraged me and gave me very good advice. i log on after a lengthy time away to see what new ships he created or xraider or any of the prolific artist here, and i find one of the few mentors i have has now joined other greats in the beyond. i pray for his family and i pray for Canis, i personally know the dangers of diabetes now myself having been diagnosed this last april. i feel the loss of a great mentor and i wish i had taken more time to know him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:42 pm 

I have been a fan of David's for 6-7 years now and just decided to get a forum account and read this. This is very sad and deeply regretful news. David was an inspiration to me and many others. His death will be deeply felt in this circle and many others. R.I.P. David Breidis