Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:06 am 

Was inspired by http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=121462

The Iscandar Protectorate Fleet
Quote:
Following the end of the Earth-Garmillas War, the new Garmillas leaders decided that Iscandar had been too vulnerable to the duplicitous actions of Supreme Leader Desler. And after nearly losing Garmillas itself, a bit of fanatical fervor overtook some of the military leaders and their subordinates in regards to Iscandar and Queen Starsha, with whom there is a such a wealth of respect and awe that is almost godly. Add to that, the threat of the Gatlantis Empire, and measures were taken to ensure that Iscandar would be protected from any threat - including any from Garmillas itself.

To that end, a fleet of ships were detached from the greater Garmillas forces and were set in orbit of Iscandar, and volunteers were asked to crew them. It would turn out, that they did not have enough ships for all the men and women who volunteered for the honored duty...

While officially under the Army, the IPF has attracted volunteers from all branches of the military. The majority of its ships come from the remains of the Imperial Guard who've chosen to surrender instead of fight the new regime, with a not-insignificant remainder coming from the donations of fleets who could spare ships. Going against tradition, every ship in the IPF has a unique name including the destroyers and cruisers. These names typically come from either old Gamilon noble houses or past prominent Iscandarian figures.

There were concerns that Gamilas's standard ships of the line were inadequate for the protection of its sister planet. However, due to the destruction of a large portion of the military's ships at the Battle of Balun the construction of new designs was deemed impractical. Thus, the idea of merely refitting the lucky ships chosen to guard Iscandar with improved equipment was put in place instead.

Iskila-class destroyer
Length: 160 meters
Armament:
1x 330mm double-mount positron beam turret
1x 133mm double-mount positron rapid-fire cannon turret
6x torpedo tubes
8x missile launchers
1x double quadruple-mount missile launcher turret

The Iskila is almost identical to its standard counterpart. The primary difference was increasing the bore of the ventral turret from 280mm to 330mm. While the rate of fire suffered due to greater power consumption, the increased firepower was deemed a worthy trade off. There are 60 Iskilas in the IPF.

Iscapia-class high speed cruiser
Length: 240 meters
Armament:
2x 330mm triple-mount positron cannon turrets
1x 330mm triple-mount positron beam turret
10x torpedo tubes
1x hextuple-mount missile launcher

The Iscapia replaced the dorsal positron beam turrets with similar caliber positron cannon turrets as well incorporating an improved engine. The new engine suffered from endurance issues, however as the IPF wasn't expected to leave the home system it wasn't seen as an important downside. There are 15 Iscapias in the IPF.

Isclaia-class heavy cruiser
Length: 270 meters
Armament:
2x 330mm triple-mount positron cannon turrets
2x 330mm triple-mount positron beam turrets
4x 280mm triple-mount positron cannons
4x torpedo tubes

The Isclaia uses a modified version of the standard Meltoria's engine, compressed to fit the shorter stern. Combined with the two positron cannon turrets, the Isclaia's performance is just under the Meltoria. Its promising results has caught the attention of the Army, who see potential as an stopgap improve their Destroias while waiting for the Meltoria to enter greater production. There are 6 Isclaias in the IPF.

Iscaria-class battlecruiser
Length: 283 meters
Armament:
3x 330mm triple-mount positron cannon turrets
1x 280mm triple-mount positron beam turret
4x 280mm triple-mount positron cannons
6x torpedo tubes
8x missile launchers
Aircraft:
1x DWG262 Czvarke

The Iscaria is almost unchanged from the Meltoria save for replacing the ventral positron beam turret to a positron cannon turret for a slight downgrade in rate of fire. There is currently only one Iscaria in the IPF, the Galla'heiren, with 3 more under construction.

Iscarol-class battleship
Length: 392 meters
Armament:
3x 330mm triple-mount positron cannon turrets
4x 280mm double-mount positron beam turrets
32x single-mount point defense guns
6x quadruple-mount point defense guns
33x torpedo tubes

The Iscarol is also almost unchanged from its base design save for an added ventral positron cannon turret. Due to the efficiency of the Haizerad's engine, the Iscarol only suffers a negligible penalty to rate of fire. The Aeber'carin serves as the flagship of the IPF, and was donated by the 18th Torgur Astro Armored Division after their commander, General Delera Irosche, received a Zoelguut-class dreadnought as her replacement flagship.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:17 am 

I'll have to see about doing some game stat modification for this Iscandarian based fleet. The rate of fire likely won't be a factor I can cover effectively, so there won't be much difference in that area. Mostly just a weapons upgrade. Some will help the ships, while other can potentially harm it within the game system. The lighter ships can only fire one weapon system in the game offensively per turn, so having more gun be the same type (thus one system) allow the ship to fire more weapons, even if at different targets. The Haizerad can fire three weapons systems so having three gun types doesn't stop it too much, though it prevents missile fire if the second and third gun types are used. The Iscarol helps by removed one type from the ship. But the other conversions could hinder in the game system as they add a second or third gun system to ships that can only fire one or two systems at a time, meaning a turret or two may not be able to engage the enemy ships. The Iskila-class destroyer would only be able to fire one gun at the enemy per turn, and the Iscapia-class high speed cruiser would be reduced to one gun per turn except on the broadsides (though it could engage two separate targets with the heavy cannons easily enough, the underside turret will be less useful save in defensive roles, or if a main battery gets disabled).

I'll likely keep my "cheat" on the Isclaia-class heavy cruiser vs. Iscaria-class battlecruiser intact. That and the battlecarrier have slight cheats with their weapons verse other ships in order to make them feel right. The 280mm positron cannons I have typically as "light energy cannons" to match the 133mm positron cannon on the destroyer (since that's the gun they use the most for anti-ship work rather than the underside gun, I couldn't make it less than the lowest gun type, nor could I justify giving the heavy cruisers battleship guns, even though the first battleship has the same guns. The barreled versions as the heavier battleship guns made sense with the really heavy improved heavy guns being what was on Dommel and Dessler's battleships). The 330mm positron beam turrets I have as medium energy cannons, with the 330mm positron cannon turrets as "heavy energy cannons". Otherwise there would be no improvement in having barrels on the guns, unless they just gave them longer range. The "cheat" is, that the side mounted 280mm positron cannons on the heavy cruiser I rate as "light energy cannons", but on the battlecruiser, I rate all their 280mm beams and cannons as "medium energy cannons" Why? Well mostly because the upgrade to two heavy cannons and then reducing the other two centerline batteries to light cannons more or less made the ship barely more powerful than the heavy cruiser head on, and less powerful on the broadside not only due to the light guns, but also due to the reduced range. So I figured the move advanced battlecruiser would have enough power to justify bumping all the 280mm guns o "medium energy cannons" to compliment the new "heavy energy cannons". I kept this justification for the battlecarrier since the hull worked better in system with the main 280mm positron shock cannons being "heavy energy cannons" while the majority of the guns were "light energy cannons", and the deck mounted 280mm beam turrets as well as the side mounted 133mm positron canons being "medium energy cannons". That and the main turrets on the battlecarrier look to be the same size as the upgraded battleships.

In theory I should upgrade the Gamilas heavy cruiser to have "medium energy cannons" for all its mounts while increasing the Iscandarian version's mounts to match the battlecruiser's layout, while justifying that the triple 280mm beam turrets put out enough energy to make them "medium energy cannons" instead of light cannons. But I currently have it with "medium and light batteries" on the Gamials heavy cruiser to give it the impression the side guns had against Yamato at Pluto...that is not even reaching. (Side not, upgrading the stats I'm using for the heavy cruiser might make it more on par with the Gatlantis ships, as 8 medium cannons might be better suited to take on ships with 8 light guns or 6 light and 6 medium guns. That said the Gamilas ship can only get, at the most five gun turrets to bear. Verse, all the Gatlantis guns being able to fire straight ahead on their destroyers and cruisers.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:07 am 

Maybe you could give the IPF versions better torpedoes to make up for the loss of fire power in-game?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:31 pm 

Upping them from M2 to M3 missiles nets each missile a 33% increase in firepower. (3 points of damage becomes 4 points of damage). In theory I should increase the number of missiles on the battlecruiser, but I intentionally made those as extra missile defense systems to give the ship more protection against fighters and missiles, since I have the Gamilas fleet overall use missile defense systems rather than AA weapons on their smaller ships (since I can't find their AA batteries on the smaller ships). For the two smaller ships, they are usually used as missile platforms first, gun platforms second (especially the destroyers, since one or two light guns usually isn't enough unless there are a lot of destroyers, or your targets are tiny ships, like Earth Isokaze-type destroyers). With M3 missiles, a single hit would now do potentially critical damage to most destroyer sized ships and some lighter cruiser sized ships. Before, with the M2 missiles, only small destroyers, and the lightest of cruisers could take critical damage from a single missile hit. (the original system has most destroyers with two hull boxes per row, so a critical hit can be scored at the end of each row. With the Yamato 2199 upsizing, the Gamilas and Gatlantis destroyers have four hull boxes per row to make them seem more resilient in the face of say, old Earth weaponry. The lightest batteries (on the old Earth and Gatlantis destroyers) will not cause critical damage at long range against a ship with four hull boxes per row, as they can only do up to 3 points of damage at long range. Gamilas light batteries as well as Earth light shock cannons, however, can do up to 4 points of damage at long range. This is a minor, but sometimes vital tactical advantage.

I might just upgrade the side guns on the Destroia to medium batteries universally, and upgrade the Isclaia with two heavy batteries and M3 missiles. The performance would still be under the Meltoria due to the heavy cruiser having less missiles and being a smaller hull. Plus less defensive weaponry.

The Meltoria being left as is makes the Iscaria upgrade easier. Just replacing one battery with a heavy battery and upgrading the missiles. Functionally the Gamilas battlecruiser is better than the Gaiderol or Haizerad in terms of direct fire weaponry at most ranges. The battleships advantages are size, a much (much) larger compliment of missles, and a even greater defense system. These models of battleship are probably the best defended in the fleet with their large number of AA batteries and the number of defensive missile I slapped on it. While not that impressive as an offensive tool, it would make for a good garrison flagship as it can fend of missiles and fighters in reasonable numbers. The larger battleships seem to use their mass to shrug off such things.

Upgrading the Iscarol's underside battery keeps it on par with the battlecruisers. Upgrading the missiles makes them very deadly....assuming the missiles arrive at the target (they can be shot down).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:18 pm 

maybe some Earth ships should be added to, a small squadron to protect Iscandar, after all it is Sansha who was responsible for saving Earth,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:07 am 

I don't know if there is anyone on Earth that worships Starsha though. Besides, if anything remotely bad happens to Iscandar, there is one ship that will go, no matter what it takes for them to get there. Yamato always arrives in time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:23 am 

Farewell, Earth, the ship that is departing is
The Space Battleship Yamato
It departs now to Iskandar,
at the end of the cosmos, bearing its fate.
"We will come back, no matter what it takes"
Answer with a smile to the waving people

Going far from the Galaxy towards Iskandar
A faint gleam of hope

Farewell, Earth, the ship that is departing is
It departs now to Iskandar,
at the end of the cosmos, bearing its fate.
"We will come back, no matter what it takes"
Answer with a smile to the waving people.

A faint gleam of hope

Farewell, Earth, farewell, beloved ones
Bearing the fate of saviors of Earth
The men fight and the romance burns high
Somebody has got to do this
If we are the people they count on...

A faint gleam of hope

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:28 pm 

A test battle based on the first episode of Yamato 2202.

The link is because there at a lot of pictures.

http://www.star-ranger.com/forum/viewto ... 35&t=12217

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:03 pm 

Updated the Andromeda's line art to account for the missing panel lines in the model's version.

Also messed around with the Andromeda and Dreadnought in Final Yamato-era EDF colors. Surprisingly the 2202 color palette already leads itself well to the job.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:26 pm 

skaianDestiny wrote:
Updated the Andromeda's line art to account for the missing panel lines in the model's version.

Also messed around with the Andromeda and Dreadnought in Final Yamato-era EDF colors. Surprisingly the 2202 color palette already leads itself well to the job.

nice
and how do you follow someone on imgur cause i what updates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:04 am 

Mechace13 wrote:
nice
and how do you follow someone on imgur cause i what updates

I don't know if you can. Don't worry about updates since I will post whatever new things I have here.

Speaking of which, I decided to have a go at "modernizing" the EDF ships from Final Yamato. Here's the battleship and destroyer in 2202 colors, Blue Noah colors, and their original colors.

My modifications to the design are as follows:

Battleship
—Length of 310 meters
—Added more panel lines and such
—Added more detail to the turrets
—Made the bulge under the forward turret be anti-ship grenade launchers found on the 2202 Dreadnought and Andromeda

Destroyer
—Length of 180 meters
—More panel lines
—Made the bulge have 4 missile launchers
—Increased the size of the superstructure so it wasn't too small to hold people
—You can't really see it from the side, but I widened the rear hanger part so it was wide enough to hold smallcraft

I couldn't really do the battlecruiser since I couldn't find any good detailed side views.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:49 am 

I found this a while ago. Would it help?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:13 pm 

Ithekro wrote:
I found this a while ago. Would it help?

That's actually pretty useful, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:35 pm 

Completed the battlecruiser. Gave it 4 additional torpedo tubes under the second turret and 10 missile launchers under those. I made the length 245 meters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:01 am 

The destroyer looks really good in the Yamato 2202 Marusame paint job. I would wonder if the Battleship and Battlecruiser could take the Kongo style paint jobs?

I'm not sure about the Blue Noah style. Blue Noah herself had blue on top and bottom, with the white near the upper wave motion gun area, bu the grey is a band in the center. The Yamato 2520 Earth Federation battleships are all blue with a white band down the middle, which the Battlecruiser might be able to take. The Battleship might be able to handle the grey midsection with a blue bottom, while keeping the white strip. Or tapering the white strip into a thinner white line that goes back under the anti-ship grenade launcher and then bake to the AA batteries where it stops at present.

I don't know if the destroyer is cut out for a Blue Noah style paint job. Or if it should go with a thinner band of white an than the grey as a band with blue again at the bottom?

On the other hand I've seen an Andromeda painted pink as a miniature, as well as some Earth ships painted in World War II dazzle paint schemes. One of the painters that does a lot of the stuff I or the other major Yamato gamer in the region use does a lot of World War Two naval paint jobs on ship miniatures, and decide to do that with Space Battleship Yamato ships simply because he could, the owner of the ships said "do whatever" and there were a lot of them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next