Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,

Before I get into the meat of this post I want to say that a person is judged by what they've done in life, who they've touched in life, and the friends they made in life. I think it's safe to say that David Briedis, CanisD, had perfect scores in each and every category.

He created drawings that have inspired others to strive harder at their craft and yet at the same time was never too busy to take the time to answer a question or help someone out when they had a problem that stymied them. His artwork has established the benchmark for BSG designs done via pixelart and can be found far and wide across the internet, used with and without his permission. Do a BSG related image search and you can be almost guaranteed that something he created will pop up.

David also helped people learn the craft and improve their abilities. A word here, a tweaked design there, and suddenly the artist would have an 'Ah ha!" moment as the lesson suddenly was crystal clear. I know...I've seen it happen to me on numerous occasions!

And then there are the friends he made in life. I can only speak for what I've seen online, but I don't think David led a double life as the person he presented to us and some sort of mirror opposite in real life. At least the comments on his Facebook page don't reflect that, and frankly, knowing David, I'd expect nothing less. The outpouring of condolences and remembrances that have been posted here is a testament to the friends he had; like him, they are of the finest kind.

It's been three days since I saw the first hints that something was wrong and I'm still trying to grapple with the realization that he's gone. Our brainstorming e-mail sessions on a new design or something that was found online have been frozen in time; what's been said is all that will be said. I look back on the years that I knew David and have many fond memories, those 'Ah ha!" moments, and that's what I will focus on and remember. I will celebrate his life by continuing on, and by ensuring that his legacy, Wolf's Shipyard, continues and doesn't fade into the night.

To that end, I've discussed the following items with XRaiderV1 and we're both on the same page.

First, I'd like to let everyone know that the boards aren't going away. When we moved from the old site to this site, I did it as a birthday gift and thank-you, so I own the domain name and I also control the servers; the boards are safe. Our leader may no longer physically be with us, but he will always be with us in spirit.

Second, things will continue as before. The policies that David put into place worked and I really don't see any need to change them just to change them.

Third, I'd like to bring on one more official moderator. With three of us, there will always be a decision when a question is asked - there will not be a tie with one saying yes and the other saying no (or vice versa) when it comes to policy, discipline, etc. I asked Phalanx if he would be willing to answer the call of duty since he's added some technical functionality to the board in the past and he willingly accepted. Please welcome him aboard as our newest moderator.

Fourth, archives. While not strictly speaking a board issue, I would like to try and download all the accessible directories on David's Photobucket site that contain his work so that they may be archived. He's done too much for his work to be destroyed or lost due to Photobucket resizing them. If anyone is interested in helping with this project, please PM me. I intend to host the files as .zips for posterity.

Fifth, and finally, a fitting remembrance. I'm not sure how to go about doing it, but I'd like to do a collection for diabetes research that as a group we can donate in his honor. If anyone has any ideas or has done this in the past, please PM me and we can discuss the details.

If you have any questions or ideas, please post away.

Kurt

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:40 pm 
Ship's Executive Officer

ok folks, firing from the hip here as it were, so this is rough and ready far as thoughts go.

I wish to weigh in here, I've heard stirrings here and there of designing a new class of ship in honor of canis and I wish to endorse and encourage this whole heartedly, to that end, those interested, please pm me directly and I will open a new thread specifically for these ship projects in the wip section, and for the finished projects, one in the completed section.

there are no limits or rules, save that you all do the level best you can to the best of your ability.

this will be our tribute to the boss, there will never be another like him.

lets show him our best.

so say we all!

http://duke.xadro.net/index.php

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:25 pm 
More than one Hoplite

I simply wish to say that, Kurt, your foreword about Canis was fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Phalanx. I've been trying to find the words and when I sat down to write it, they finally flowed.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:53 am 

Thanks Kurt for these words.
Welcome Phalanx.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:57 am 

I have a well organized archive of his drawings I think totaling close to 800 images.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:50 am 

Very well said Kurt and a fitting tribute to David. It is amazing just how big of a "footprint" one person can make in this very very large universe.

Welcome and a very well dressed salute to you Phalanx for accepting your new position even in such sad circumstances as these.

So say we all!!!!

FRAK- The second most all inclusive word there is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:35 am 

Welcome Phalanx.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:37 pm 

Welcome, Phalanx; I think an excellent choice was made.

I'm relieved that the Shipyard will still be open. I've been to several forums over the past decade or so, and this has been the most sane and civil place I've found. A tribute, obviously, not only to the users, but to the founder, may he rest in peace.

I look forward to being a member for many years to come.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:24 pm 

Hey XO....

I have been thinking of designing a bunch of Star Wars ships for my current game.

I would be happy to dedicated them to Canis... Tho I will probably need a little help... I more of a sketcher then computer artist....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:41 am 

Thank you for keeping CanisD's legacy alive Kurt. If you need help with anything, don't hesitate to ask.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:57 am 
Ship's Executive Officer

Amberside wrote:
Hey XO....

I have been thinking of designing a bunch of Star Wars ships for my current game.

I would be happy to dedicated them to Canis... Tho I will probably need a little help... I more of a sketcher then computer artist....

I'm a modder, I'm good at taking existing designs and modifying them, not so good at doing original works.

http://duke.xadro.net/index.php

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:19 pm 

I'll do what I can XRaider...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:18 pm 

To all, please accept my apologies for not keeping my promise to add a story I spoke about entitled "Pilgrimage to Earth". I have had so much on my plate lately with work home and family, not to mention a severe lack of time and money (sound familiar?) that I have been unable to work on it, however I have cleared my workload a bit and will start to put something together with a story supported by some photobucket uploads to support it, please bear with me as I am neither a prolific writer or artist, but in memory of our great leader, and to help keep this great forum alive I will do my level best

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:39 am 

RIP CanisD... =(

Maybe I'll try doing a another Trek/BSG bash in his honor later this year..