Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:05 pm 

What I don't get is that the SAW has so many feed issues with magazines, and even belt ammo to a degree, but the original version the Belgians were using in Iraq didn't have that issue. We were in a Camp down in Kuwait waiting to deploy forwards that area near Haditha Dam, and we had a chance to go burn some rounds off at the same time a small Belgian contingent was doing the same. A Saw next to their LMG looked pretty much identical, but were newish weapons, and both were clean. Ours jammed up pretty often...theirs did not?! What the heck is that all about?!

Oh, and speaking of differences, we also noted that apparently in order to get into the Belgian military, you have to be able to double as an underwear model, cause the girls were smokin, and the guys were making out ladies positively drool. Weird that...

The Ukrainians? Not so much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:23 pm 

gryphon wrote:
What I don't get is that the SAW has so many feed issues with magazines, and even belt ammo to a degree, but the original version the Belgians were using in Iraq didn't have that issue. We were in a Camp down in Kuwait waiting to deploy forwards that area near Haditha Dam, and we had a chance to go burn some rounds off at the same time a small Belgian contingent was doing the same. A Saw next to their LMG looked pretty much identical, but were newish weapons, and both were clean. Ours jammed up pretty often...theirs did not?! What the heck is that all about?!

maybe a dodgy batch?

I used the Minimi in Iraq and never had a single stoppage. The only problem I had was the crappy plastic ammo box that kept breaking at the clasp or fell off at the slightest knock. When I switched to the cloth ammo bag the problem stopped.

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/Munne ... t=3&page=0 - use this for images that you want to modify, just leave the credits on the picture and add your "modified by" to it instead of a link (hence the reason DA stuff is all watermarked!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:24 am 
Arms Dealer

Munners wrote:
gryphon wrote:

maybe a dodgy batch?

I used the Minimi in Iraq and never had a single stoppage. The only problem I had was the crappy plastic ammo box that kept breaking at the clasp or fell off at the slightest knock. When I switched to the cloth ammo bag the problem stopped.

Never had a problem with my SAW except with feeding magazines (or blanks), though I was able to correct that by just pushing up and in slightly on the magazine and it would fire just fine. The plastic box drums blew chunks...LOL... I remember many a times running lanes with 200 rounds dragging behind me. Now I wish they had TYR Tactical Micro machine gun pack back in my days that would have been something (575 rounds in the pack and feed shoot, plus it is available in 7.62 or 5.56)

Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:41 pm 

CASUAL OBSERVER wrote:
KELEVRA wrote:
THERE NOTHING BETTER THAN A BELGIAN WEAPON IT SEEMS

I dont know about "nothing better".....but the Belgians definitely know what they are doing when it comes to weapon design. Both the FN Minimi and MAG have served well in the US Armed forces.

that's because john moses browning taught them everything they know about weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

KELEVRA wrote:
THEN WHY MISTER BROWNING BUILT THEM NOT HIMSELF ?

Because he died.

Browning licensed or sold his designs, and he was a designer not a manufacturer, to three companies: FN, Winchester, and Remington. The last firearm he worked on was the Hi-Power (and IMO, hands down his best handgun design) and it was finished and refined by his assistant who later went on to be one of FN's primary designers.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:52 pm 

kfeltenberger wrote:
KELEVRA wrote:

Because he died.

Browning licensed or sold his designs, and he was a designer not a manufacturer, to three companies: FN, Winchester, and Remington. The last firearm he worked on was the Hi-Power (and IMO, hands down his best handgun design) and it was finished and refined by his assistant who later went on to be one of FN's primary designers.

I've heard it said that the Hi-Power was designed to "fix" the M1911 design. Having fired both, I still prefer the 1911, but the Hi-Power is a fantastic design.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Admin

CASUAL OBSERVER wrote:
kfeltenberger wrote:
KELEVRA wrote:

Because he died.

I've heard it said that the Hi-Power was designed to "fix" the M1911 design. Having fired both, I still prefer the 1911, but the Hi-Power is a fantastic design.

The HP-35 was built for a number of reasons with one of the driving forces a pending French trial for a new service sidearm. I wouldn't say that Browning designed to the HP-35 to fix any shortcomings, but rather to improve. The bushing, swinging barrel link, grip safety, and side plunger tube were all issues that were eliminated. I've shot both and while I recognize the fanaticism that the 1911 generates, I just couldn't see where it came from other than "Those cool guys say its so, so I'm going to get on the bandwagon!" Unless a lot of money is put into it, it's no better, and could be a good bit worse, than most other service handguns.

I've owned two 1911s and four Hi-Powers; the amount of ammo put through them is about 30-40 to 1 in favor of the Hi-Power.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook