Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154  Next
 Post subject: Re: Battlestar Hecate
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:51 am 
Site Admin

Rather than post these in Ivanho's thread, I thought I'd post them here, instead where the Lady H specific ships are located.

One of the unsung heroes of any spacefaring society is the construction ship. These can range from small, something that would build or maintain an asteroid miner's workshack to large Boilermaker class constructionstars that have even been accepted into Fleet service. Boilermaker 17 has been in service for more than 100 years and shows no signs of slowing down or needing to be replaced. Essentially a mobile factory and construction company, the upper deck is used to transport oversized items while the underside is a fully featured flight deck capable of handing just about anything up to an including an atmospheric capable gunstar. Components are received either via the flight deck, one of the side landing bays or cargo handling bays, or is produced organically depending on the ship's configuration. These ships, despite their size, are relatively inexpensive, well, inexpensive when compared to some other designs that are based off battlestar, gunstar, or large merchant hulls. The forward spaces offer housing for the crew as well as an indoor park for leisure and recreation.

Since the Boilermakers generally go somewhere and then are stationary, a hub module was designed for two to four ships to connect into an ersatz station. Once docked, the ships are unable to navigate and only simple station keeping thrusters are active to ensure that the platform remains stable.

With such a useful design, it was inevitable that other uses would be found for the hull. One of the most elaborate is the Spirit class colony ship. The hull is twice as wide as a Boilermaker and rather than support pylons, the upper deck is home to two large habitat domes and additional living spaces. The domes are setup to mimic a small town while the spaces below contain additional suites, apartments, shopping districts, and even some light manufacturing. The main body of the ship contains cavernous cargo bays to supply the colony with everything that it might need to take root and survive. Pre-fabricated buildings, road building and excavating machinery, food stocks, and everything that might be needed or wanted is present. The forward spaces, like the Boilermaker, also contain living spaces, but also contains a more elaborate hospital that is on par with most regional trauma centers. Once the Spirit reaches its destination, it will often remain on station for up to ten years before returning to one of the core worlds for refit. This is to ensure that the nascent colony has the best chance of taking root.

It was inevitable that the hub used for the Boilermakers would be expanded and enlarged to accommodate from one to four Spirit class ships. Often, the hub will be built for a specific colonization project and then left in orbit when the colony ships leave so that the colony will have a ready-made highport, and, while not discussed openly, a safe have should something unforeseen befall the colony. Unlike the Boilermaker's hub, the larger sibling has a flight deck and hangar on topside, while the bottom is often left unused, used for small craft storage, or used for additional cargo handling.

One feature that has been well received is that two Boilermakers may raft together and then be secured to the hub in the manner of a single Spirit class colony ship.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:04 am 

Wowww.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hopefully that's "Wowww" in a good sense. ;-)

I just didn't have the brain power to to a rear view of the ships to do a four ship docking.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:16 am 
Site Admin

The other day, Ivanho and I were talking about gaps in the fleets that we've both developed. One of the areas we agreed on was that there didn't seem to be any fleet transport beyond the battlegroup support focused repleneishmentstars. I had a design sitting in my WIP folder that I finally figured out what was wrong with it, and finished it. Then, not stopping there, I kept going and built a "little brother". While small, when viewed against contemporary designs, they are absolutely massive and the smaller of the two can easily carry more three or four times the the volume/capacity of the largest container ship currently afloat.

The Earth Union Fleet wanted a ship that would be economical to acquire, operate, and maintain, and could be handled and managed by civilian crews. The key word, economical, mean that the design would probably best be served by something off the shelf and modified for service. What won the design competition was a submission from the E2 design consortium based on both Electra and El Dorado that started with the pods used on the new Dynamene class battlestars. Outwardly, they look like the stacked flight pods that lack any launch tubes but with stub wings and E-class gunstar engines, living spaces fore and aft, a transfer boom on each side, and the lower pod completely enclosed and no longer capable of handling small craft. Five examples were contracted and before the fourth one was completed, the design had been accepted and approved for series production. The design proved so popular, that several examples were sold to civilian concerns. The Flower class started out being named after member worlds' world's flower, but as the numbers increased, they were named after any flower that BuShips was willing to approve. The example pictured here, Stargazer Lily, was the 36th example produced and was named after Neverwhere's world flower and bears a picture of the flower on its upper hull, a practice common among members of this class.

E2 saw the success that the Flower class had with the Union government and certain large corporations, but wanted to add something to their portfolio that would tempt smaller companies, larger companies that needed multiple hulls of smaller capacity than the Flowers, and something that could be tailored for both Fleet use and potential sales to individual world governments. A smaller, single pod was used, with the entire pod being enclosed and a small flight deck added in the lower hull. The engines used were common commercial engines used on Brawny Glory and other designs, and had an enviable track record of reliability, low maintenance, durability, and a good thrust output for its size. This smaller design also had something that its larger sibling lacked; the ability to land on a planet. The landing gear was such that the ship could land on a stabilized paved surface or it could land in a large field without complications. At the aft end, a clam shell door opened and a ramp could be extended to the ground or it could be fixed in a horizontal configuration and a cargo gantry crane extended to lift cargo off local transports.

Within two years of its introduction, contracts for the Pixie class transport were being booked at a rate of more than 3 to 1 when compared to its larger sibling. Rock Pixie, shown here, stared in the long running show, Frontier Packet, about the adventures its crew had while serving on the Hamilton Arm frontier. All ships were named after some sort of whimsical pixie, with Bawdy Pixie, Naughty Pixie, and Wicked Pixie being three of the more risque names.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:11 am 

Superb work Kurt, these are exactly the kind of craft I was referring to, and I will be working on versions myself continuing my theme of wet navy/colonial hybrids. I hope to have transport ships, landing craft, supply ships et al, a de facto auxiliary fleet. Firstly though I will be posting my block 2 construction platforms very soon, bravo my friend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:43 pm 

Those are pretty, Kurt; good job! I like the back story and the design, though I think I like the Pixie more than the Flower.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

TurboCoupeTurbo wrote:
Those are pretty, Kurt; good job! I like the back story and the design, though I think I like the Pixie more than the Flower.

Yeah...Rock Pixie really grew on me...and she will be seen in Lady H...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

The Earth Union was planning on two decade expansion project and one of the things that was identified as a "need" was some way of providing forward anchorage services to both Fleet and civilian shipping that might be 25 to 50 light years away from such facilities. The rugged and dependable Spirit class hull, which itself had been evolved from the Boilermaker class, was chosen as the core component for the project. The Cove class saw the hull spaces turned into maintenance shops, fabrication shops, and spares storage, while the engines were enclosed in a protective framework and a large hinge structure was built onto the stern. Like it's half-siblings, the underdeck is configured as a full service flight deck.

The hinge was the key to the Cove class' success; it allowed a framework platform to fold itself for transport and be secured to the Cove's deck. All the service booms, small shops, temporary housing, commerce zones, and life support spaces were built into this framework. The habitation spaces were only a few decks deep, but they provided more than adequate volume to support the ships docked, to the point where space was leased to various commercial franchises to provide a variety of commercial and culinary options.

Five spans were carried, with the modular booms secured within the framework for moving, and then once the frame is extended and secured, work pods will then move the booms into place. Each boom consists of several pieces, and multiple sections may be combined, or pieces removed, to adjust the boom for its potential clients.

Like the Spirit class, a hub may be added so that up to four Cove or Spirit class ships, or two Boilermakers per Cove or Spirit, may be combined into a large, semi-permanent structure.

Cove class Sheltered Cove, configured for travel:

Detail of one span of the expandable frame:

Sheltered Cove with expandable frame fully deployed and booms erected on its starboard side (this is at half scale or 2x BS scale)

(Author's note: I really shouldn't drink three finger's of Laird's Applejack Whiskey to try and get to sleep...my mind kickstarts and weird stuff like this results...)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

kfeltenberger wrote:
TurboCoupeTurbo wrote:

Yeah...Rock Pixie really grew on me...and she will be seen in Lady H...

To add to this...I'm thinking of perhaps doing an armed version of Pixie...nothing major, perhaps two to four small defensive turrets and maybe a defensive missile cluster.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:15 am 

It would make a nice fleet supply ship that way. I could also see a special operations version armed the same way but with some hanger space for Rocs/Raptors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:43 pm 

Kurt is it possible for you to tell us How many ships of the Victorious Class were built and what are the names of the others besides the Victorious and the Indy?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Sure!

The Victorious class was planned to be a cornerstone of the Fleet's future force mix of medium weight battlestars. As of the collapse, ten were in service and a further twenty-five were contracted to be delivered over the next five years.

BS-88 - Victorious
BS-89 - Indefatigable
BS-96 - Indomitable
BS-97 - Renown
BS-98 - Courageous
BS-99 - Searlait I
BS-100 - Arabella IV
BS-101 - Triumph
BS-102 - Ciencia
BS-103 - Iolanthe
BS-104 - Vengeance - under construction - trials
BS-105 - Fearless - under construction - trials
BS-106 - Conqueror - under construction - trials

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

To follow up on the Pixie class transport...

There was a desire for a lightly armed version of the Pixie to operate in the fringe areas of Union space where where the crew would feel more protected with a couple high velocity autocannons in turrets and a smile than with just a smile. This was born the Gnome class transport which added four twin 75mm hypervelocity CTA autocannons to the ship. While not capable of standing up against a purpose built warship, the weapons were enough to give most ethically challenged merchants pause due to the effectiveness of the autocannons.

The crews for the Gnomes tended to be highly individualistic, eccentric, and often had theme music that played as the ship was landing or taking off. Most merchant mariners viewed these crews as being a bottle less than a six-pack and not fit for "proper company". This was something the Gnome crews eagerly embraced, often going out of their way while to taunt or troll their more "proper" brethren while in port. There is a report where the crew of Flashing Gnome all wore skin colored leotards, with merkins, and bright neon green, yellow, or red capes while sharing a docking boom with two Pixies at Amity Station in the Pebble Belt orbiting Callisto.

And then there was the most peculiar case of Cthulhu Gnome, a Gnome class ship that was fitted out to be a long range/long duration survey ship. No one on the crew would ever comment on what happened to the two calves, two guinea hens, small pig, six chickens, and one lamb that always accompanied the ship when it left port...and had to be replaced at each return. The crew would just smile, shrug their shoulders, and chuckle. What added to the mix was when Athens Station's portmaster demanded an accounting and Captain Justin Crenshaw replied, "It's cheaper, and legal, to sacrifice farm animals to the Old Ones than it is virgins...and virgins are so difficult to find..." Despite port rumors to the contrary, the animals were often used for fresh meat during the trip and the mystery surrounding it was just something that the crew did to troll their brethren and whoever was gullible enough to believe it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:27 pm 

:)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:52 am 

The Victorious class was planned to be a cornerstone of the Fleet's future force mix of medium weight battlestars. As of the collapse, ten were in service and a further twenty-five were contracted to be delivered over the next five years.

BS-88 - Victorious
BS-89 - Indefatigable
BS-96 - Indomitable
BS-97 - Renown
BS-98 - Courageous
BS-99 - Searlait I
BS-100 - Arabella IV
BS-101 - Triumph
BS-102 - Ciencia
BS-103 - Iolanthe
BS-104 - Vengeance - under construction - trials
BS-105 - Fearless - under construction - trials
BS-106 - Conqueror - under construction - trials

Spaceevo Tovareeshch a crude attempt to render Russian to the Latin alphabet.

Thank-you Comrade!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154  Next