Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:10 am 
Offline
Fearless Leader-With the Gods
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:00 am
Posts: 4629
Location: South Carolina
Starting a new thread since Allen has reorganized things a bit.
Image
The Battlestar Thaumas. Her role was somewhat different than standard Battlestars. Designed early in the war when most fighting was in close proximity to the Colonies, she was intended as a "Strike Battlestar", fighting close to the Colonies and supply lines and sacrificed endurance for firepower, speed, and reaction time. Crew quarters were terribly cramped, with every spare cubic meter of volume dedicated to fighting capabilities, her massive engines, and a powerful dual-core FTL that allowed rapid jumps with little down time in between. As the war went on, much of the fighting shifted further and further from the Colonies and the design's poor endurance became a major handicap.

_________________
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"

Permission is granted to use most of my work, so long as credit is given. Before using my commissioned work, please get the permission of the person who commissioned it.
Wolf's Shipyard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:00 am
Posts: 1767
I think it needs more guns.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Assaultstar Pandora AS-50
Good God Allen :!:

Her ammo bunkers must be incredible. Where does the crew sleep?? On top of a bed of shells :D

Great work again Boss.

_________________
Bob

FRAK- The second most all inclusive word there is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:00 am
Posts: 232
Location: Europe
50Stone wrote:
I think it needs more guns.....


Even more,maybe even a MAC gun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:00 am
Posts: 360
Location: Raleigh, NC
gilp68 wrote:
Good God Allen :!:

Her ammo bunkers must be incredible. Where does the crew sleep?? On top of a bed of shells :D

Great work again Boss.


Hey gilp68, like her backstory said she design for quick strike against the Cylons. So she only carried the supplies need for the mission plus some extra encase thing go badly. So while her ammo bunkers are normal size they are more of them.

The crew sleep in very cramp quarters location any where their was room. Even the C.O. and X.O. must share quarters due to the limit space. They are also no wardrrom, warroom, only 1 mess, no gym, no firing range, etc. So all of the extra space that Galactica have Thaumas doesn't. A lot of the room service several purposes: the head, sleeping area, and eating area are all in the same room. Where on Galactica you have some privacy on the Thaumas you have none. So think of it like the Defiant from Star Trek, where all of the comfort are gone.

Thaumas, also was the prototype of the more guns designs, what have it positive but also drawback hint why it was seen in some later battlestar i.e. Blood and Chrome but not all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Assaultstar Pandora AS-50
Great back story Allen. She is a beast :!:

_________________
Bob

FRAK- The second most all inclusive word there is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:49 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 5060
Location: Battlestar Hecate BSG-94
Given it's size, armament, range, and internal conditions, I'm not sure I'd call it a battlestar. Perhaps a monitor or monitorstar would be be more appropriate.

_________________
Kurt

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:00 am
Posts: 360
Location: Raleigh, NC
kfeltenberger wrote:
Given it's size, armament, range, and internal conditions, I'm not sure I'd call it a battlestar. Perhaps a monitor or monitorstar would be be more appropriate.


Kurt, I was interesting to see what you thought.

While I don't disagree with you. The designation Monitor within my universe are smaller craft designs for patrol that are heavier armed. They also can support ground troop since they are atmospheric capable; unlike the Thaumas. I only used Warstar, Battlestar, Gunstar, Strikestar, and Assaultstar, all other -star designation doesn't exist within my universe this is because I think peoples go crazy with adding the -star ending to everything.

Plus I used Battlestar, like Star Wars used Star Destroyer, for ship over an "length" then it a Battlestar. Battlestar within Dimension Eight criteria is:

1: Firepower and armor of a Battleship but air wings of a Carrier
2: Normally at least 2 flight pods, or one flight pod that area is equal to 2 flight pods
3: Normally tend to be the biggest warship of their era/designation. The Valkyrie while small for a Battlestar is large when compare to other ships within my universe from it era.
4: They tend to be "First-Rate Capital Ship" along with Warstar. Capital Ship are those ship that Naval Formation are construction around i.e. a Battlestar Group or a Warstar Group.

Then they are criteria on if they are Escort, Light, Medium, Standard, Heavy, Super Heavy. The Thaumas meet all four of that criteria, and since it the same size as Galactica is a standard Battlestar. Also remember it an early designation when they was experimental with what a Battlestar is. The Thaumas is closer to the Battleship end of the Battlestar spectrum while other early designs are closer to the Carrier end of the spectrum

Plus the Osiris being label a 'Battlestar' throw everything into the wind. Since it too small, too lacking in an air wings, too lacking in armor in my opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:00 am
Posts: 1744
Killstar...
Murderstar...
Homicidestar...
The People's Elbowstar...
Ripstar...
Hellstar...
Wreakstar...
Massacreeastar...
StomptheYardstar...
Herecomes the Boomstar!!!

All right, I'll stop now, I imagine I am not nearly so funny to witty as I would like to think...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:15 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 5060
Location: Battlestar Hecate BSG-94
allenknott3 wrote:
kfeltenberger wrote:
Given it's size, armament, range, and internal conditions, I'm not sure I'd call it a battlestar. Perhaps a monitor or monitorstar would be be more appropriate.


Kurt, I was interesting to see what you thought.

While I don't disagree with you. The designation Monitor within my universe are smaller craft designs for patrol that are heavier armed. They also can support ground troop since they are atmospheric capable; unlike the Thaumas. I only used Warstar, Battlestar, Gunstar, Strikestar, and Assaultstar, all other -star designation doesn't exist within my universe this is because I think peoples go crazy with adding the -star ending to everything.


Cool. So long as it's internally consistent, that's the important thing.

allenknott3 wrote:
Plus I used Battlestar, like Star Wars used Star Destroyer, for ship over an "length" then it a Battlestar. Battlestar within Dimension Eight criteria is:

1: Firepower and armor of a Battleship but air wings of a Carrier
2: Normally at least 2 flight pods, or one flight pod that area is equal to 2 flight pods
3: Normally tend to be the biggest warship of their era/designation. The Valkyrie while small for a Battlestar is large when compare to other ships within my universe from it era.
4: They tend to be "First-Rate Capital Ship" along with Warstar. Capital Ship are those ship that Naval Formation are construction around i.e. a Battlestar Group or a Warstar Group.

Then they are criteria on if they are Escort, Light, Medium, Standard, Heavy, Super Heavy. The Thaumas meet all four of that criteria, and since it the same size as Galactica is a standard Battlestar. Also remember it an early designation when they was experimental with what a Battlestar is. The Thaumas is closer to the Battleship end of the Battlestar spectrum while other early designs are closer to the Carrier end of the spectrum

Plus the Osiris being label a 'Battlestar' throw everything into the wind. Since it too small, too lacking in an air wings, too lacking in armor in my opinion.


Laid out like this, it makes sense. The only thing I don't see covered is endurance. That was something Adama mentioned in Episode 2 "Water" (IIRC, it was this episode - he was telling Roslin about the capabilities of a battlestar).

From an organizational perspective, you might want to indicate somehow that it is a low endurance craft so some J-3 doesn't task it with a mission it can't handle because it's classified as a BS.

_________________
Kurt

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Assaultstar Pandora AS-50
Quote:
Laid out like this, it makes sense. The only thing I don't see covered is endurance. That was something Adama mentioned in Episode 2 "Water" (IIRC, it was this episode - he was telling Roslin about the capabilities of a battlestar).

From an organizational perspective, you might want to indicate somehow that it is a low endurance craft so some J-3 doesn't task it with a mission it can't handle because it's classified as a BS.



I would agree with this Kurt. But you realize some J-3 would do just that and then only when the after action report was filed would they realize the error of the tasking. :lol:

I think the endurance of the Thaumas is definately the "Achilles heel" of her design when compared to the other Batttlestars.

The idea of an asset that can come in and take over an area for a short period of time would have been a concept to have come from the short term leasons of currently fighting a war (1st CW). Somewhat desperate but useful. The Battlestar concept and design would then be perfected after study and thought after the war. This design is just a response to an immediate threat using a platform that currently in use.

With her firepower she does need a different classification in hindsight but during the war she would definately be a Battlestar.

_________________
Bob

FRAK- The second most all inclusive word there is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 am
Posts: 651
Location: Battlestar Vindication BSG-45
Wouldn't sending a couple ammo freighters along eliminate the range issues?

Also, she must have some serious back problems.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 am
Posts: 426
allen, will any more chapters be posted on your story site?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 2:18 pm
Posts: 468
Location: Houston, Texas
gryphon wrote:
Killstar...
Murderstar...
Homicidestar...
The People's Elbowstar...
Ripstar...
Hellstar...
Wreakstar...
Massacreeastar...
StomptheYardstar...
Herecomes the Boomstar!!!

All right, I'll stop now, I imagine I am not nearly so funny to witty as I would like to think...


You left out these...
Rapestar
Frakstar
Nukestar
Obamastar (A very deadly ship) :D

_________________
I think the hardest part of being the youngest here is the fact that I know everybody else will kick it before me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 5:55 pm
Posts: 14
AND DONT FORGET :
assad star

_________________
VALAR MORGHULIS


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group