Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 pm 

I like Tin Mans thinking and it is borne out by historical example, not just multiple manufacturers of the same plane, but multiple platforms of different types, the P-51, P-38 and P-47 were all being built simultaneously during ww2. THe Me-109 and FW190 were under construction at the same time, the Spitfire, Hurricane, and Typhoon were all being built simultaneously. Tanks, artillery and ships being produced to a contracted template also often had differences in their actual final form as rolled out to the troops.

Post subject: Blood and Crome
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 pm 

Never could understand why in this version of BSG they did not use the original Vipers from the original BSG.

Post subject: Re: Blood and Crome
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

gothcrusader717 wrote:
Never could understand why in this version of BSG they did not use the original Vipers from the original BSG.

I prefer the new ones, but if you look closely at the scenes of the starboard flight deck museum, you'll see an old Mk. I that is from the original series.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

Post subject: Re: Blood and Crome
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:23 am 

gothcrusader717 wrote:

I like a lot of the old TOS style craft and ships but one thing about BSG2 that completely blew me away the first time I saw it was "HOW" the fighters fought in space. In the TOS series they pretty much fought as aircraft in the atmosphere but in BSG2 & B&C they fought useing the reaction control thrusters of a "Spacecraft" - that made a incredible difference in realism to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:02 am 

^True. They took what I first saw in Babylon 5 (the Starfury) and had it ramped up several notches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:52 am 
More than one Hoplite

Right, here's my thinking:

We know that at some point in the last two years of the war the Galactica was boarded by cylons and was in real trouble "because someone wanted a faster computer". We can also see from Blood and Chrome that by the 10th year of the war the colonials were comfortable with a far higher level of technology then they were by the end of the war, a level it too them 40 years to be comfortable with again.

So it seems to me that the Colonials get just a little too comfortable with their tech and the cylons launch an offensive that really, really, REALLY bites the colonials in the arse by taking advantage of their more sloppily protected computer systems.

The end result, huge number of losses of advanced Mk III's and so on. The simpler to make Viper Mk II is thus produced in huge numbers to fill the gap (Adama gets one) and is credited with helping win the war simply because it was possible to make enough quickly enough for them to survive the huge set-back from the cylon assault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:41 pm 

I love the new MK III, she is a lovely craft, but there are a few points and questions I would like to ask.

I think why Galactica was striped down for the final operation of the war was because of the new Columbia II and Indra class battlestars were coming online that colonial resources for building these new ships were strained and so they started removing parts for the older battlestars.

Also, why did Adama fly the MK II instead of the MK III?

Also, will you do a 2 person version like the MK VII or MK II, I would love to see what it would look like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Gus wrote:
c
I think why Galactica was striped down for the final operation of the war was because of the new Columbia II and Indra class battlestars were coming online that colonial resources for building these new ships were strained and so they started removing parts for the older battlestars.

What has happened in fan fiction, or what fans have "inferred as the truth" has no impact or authority over the show. In short, none of the classes you mention were ever mentioned in the show, other than perhaps Columbia in passing.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook