Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revised Mk III Viper
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:49 am 
Fearless Leader-With the Gods

Updated the drawing to match the released schematics. Apparently its supposed to be much bigger than the Mk II according to the reference pictures here: http://sci-fi-museum-pierre-drolet-com.webs.com/viper-mark-ii-and-iib
However, after looking at screenshots from Blood & Chrome, I don't think it is bigger and in this case I shall reject his reality and substitute my own!

Permission is granted to use most of my work, so long as credit is given. Before using my commissioned work, please get the permission of the person who commissioned it.
Wolf's Shipyard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:43 am 
More than one Hoplite

You'd think that they would remember maneuvering thrusters...

Still nice job boss man! I agree about the size. I don't think the larger one would even fit in the launch tubes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:05 am 
More than one Hoplite

I've updated the drawing with the original hull colour and given the window a gradient. It's up on the BSP wiki. Here it is:
(The faded credits is just to make it look better in the thumb nails the wiki uses)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 pm 
Ship's Executive Officer

nice work boss.

archive of our own, good place to find lots of fanfiction:
https://archiveofourown.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:18 pm 

Actually, I really, really wish they had used that scale, its still smallish, but way better than the minnow Viper we ended up with. I love the Viper design ethos, but the sheer size of the cockpit, engine, DRADIS and weapon systems leaves very little room for life support, fuel, and ammunition, never mind the hammer space missile launchers.

I also like the broader nose section too for some reason, it just appeals visually.

And that article you posted does at least explain why Adama's infamous Mk.2 never actually shows up. Though I can't understand why they didn't just built cockpit makeups and green screen the entire Mk.2. Was the show no longer allowed to actually build "full scale" mockups? If not, then everything is green screened in, including the Mk2s. If so, then they wouldn't really have needed a new CGI Viper model anyhow, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:54 pm 

gryphon wrote:
Actually, I really, really wish they had used that scale, its still smallish, but way better than the minnow Viper we ended up with. I love the Viper design ethos, but the sheer size of the cockpit, engine, DRADIS and weapon systems leaves very little room for life support, fuel, and ammunition, never mind the hammer space missile launchers.

I also like the broader nose section too for some reason, it just appeals visually.

And that article you posted does at least explain why Adama's infamous Mk.2 never actually shows up. Though I can't understand why they didn't just built cockpit makeups and green screen the entire Mk.2. Was the show no longer allowed to actually build "full scale" mockups? If not, then everything is green screened in, including the Mk2s. If so, then they wouldn't really have needed a new CGI Viper model anyhow, right?

They had no money in the budget to do sets or mockups. B&C was a bare-bones, low-budget work that was all CGI with minimal props, like Sky Captain. The mockups from the series were unavailable as they had been sold off years ago in the auctions. Basically they had free reign, so Pierre Drolet was allowed to basically take the plane back to his original size when he designed the Mk II (they had shrunk it like 25% to build the mockup, probably for cost-savings). That's why they're so different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:10 am 

Nice work Canis. I played with it a bit, and came up with these. The first one I added RCS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:50 am 

Conan Parsu

We currently have a "Mark IV and V:

http://s49.beta.photobucket.com/user/CanisD/media/Shipyard/Drawings/BSG/Fighters/Viper_mk4_b.png.html

http://s49.beta.photobucket.com/user/CanisD/media/Shipyard/Drawings/BSG/Fighters/Viper_mk5.png.html

If you're talking about this for the Mark III:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/CanisD/Shipyard/Drawings/BSG/Fighters/viper_mk3.png

I thinks it would be easier to to made it a new class of Viper. That what I did; partly because it seem that the Mark all have similar designs. I have classify it as the Starfox Class Viper, since it made me think of the fighter from the Starfox video games.

Note: Viper, in BSL stand for: Vertical Take

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:57 am 
More than one Hoplite

[quote="allenknott3"]Conan Parsu

We currently have a "Mark IV and V:

[snip]

If you're talking about this for the Mark III:

[snip]

I thinks it would be easier to to made it a new class of Viper. That what I did; partly because it seem that the Mark all have similar designs. I have classify it as the Starfox Class Viper, since it made me think of the fighter from the Starfox video games.

Note: Viper, in BSL stranded for: Vertical Take

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:18 am 

Phalanx wrote:
Well those don't really fit with the progression of the Viper design that we've seen. However I do very much like that idea of what VIPer could stand for. I'm not sure it fits with cannon portrayal of how to word is typed, but I like it never the less (yes, I know you don't care about the cannon).

Has anybody drawn the Arwing?

However, there is 1 major difference between the Mark IV/V and the Mark III. The Mark IV and V are based on Viper from other BSG various incarnation. The Mark IV is from the fail revival by Bryan Singer. The Mark V is from the 2003 video game. The Mark III is total a fan design.

FYI: I don't care about canon, whenever it don't made sense in my mind. I.e. Caprica-Six killing the baby during the miniseries doesn't made any in-universe sense. So, that event is not canon within BSL.

Phalanx, I sometime think you misunderstand me. My goal is to tell the best story possible or even a better story than original told by the new BSG. With that knowledge, I must "correct" the mistake of canon; in-order to tell a better story. Most Fan Fiction is simple a different versions of the already told story. BSL, should be a different story based on the same core materials and with some events matching.

I'm glad that you like what Viper stranded for in BSL.

Raptor stand for: Reconnaissance, Atmospheric, Patrol, Strike, and Support Craft

Raider stand for: Reconnaissance, Attack, Interceptor, Vertical Take

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:12 pm 

allenknott3 wrote:
FYI: I don't care about canon, whenever it don't made sense in my mind. I.e. Caprica-Six killing the baby during the miniseries doesn't made any in-universe sense. So, that event is not canon within BSL.

I read somewhere that she did it to spare the child the pain of dying in the attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:20 pm 

Gin Rummy wrote:
I read somewhere that she did it to spare the child the pain of dying in the attack.

That was the writers' intent. From her perspective she was performing an act of mercy. Of course from our end it was the opposite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Talos wrote:
Gin Rummy wrote:

That was the writers' intent. From her perspective she was performing an act of mercy. Of course from our end it was the opposite.

That was pretty much how I took it once I realized what was going to happen.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:57 pm 

kfeltenberger wrote:
Talos wrote:
Gin Rummy wrote:

That was pretty much how I took it once I realized what was going to happen.

The look on her face sells it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:11 am 

Talos wrote:

I understand it was an act of "mercy" and her emotion conflict over doing it; hint the look on her face, while walking away.

However, my point, if you watch the scene, in the background are two Caprica City Police officers. I don't understand risking the whole Cylons operation on a act of "mercy." At the time, Caprica-Six have yet to give Cavil the access code to the Defense mainframe. What happen if she was seen? Or more important arrested? Is she going to made a public scene? If she did get arrested, then how would she be able to delivery the access code to Cavil? More important, how would she be able to save Baltar life?

That my point, it seem like a unaccepted risk to take only hours before the attack.

That lead me too two important questions:

1: Why would Baltar, a civilians, have access to the Defense mainframe? I'm assuming the Defense mainframe, is the main military database, wouldn't only military personal have access?

2: Even, if Caprica-six got access to the Defense mainframe, which again I'm assuming happen more than once. Wouldn't someone noticed?
Even, if she is using Baltar access code, wouldn't a red flag go up?