Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:17 pm 

Correct Kurt, that was the basis of my assumption that the size and advancement of a vessel dictates how far their FTL comms can reach. Battlestars should be able to talk out to everyone in a solar system, but a small civilian liner might only be able to reach out a few AU.

I also agree with you on where the population figures came from. I pretty much dismiss any of the numbers on the QM map. Even with all the assumptions in your population expansion chart, its easy to see how low the figures really should be.

And, while I feel saddened that you could have any rants about my beloved Coast Guard (:p), Adama's little speech there really shows that the Colonials didn't have anything quite like it. They may have a non-military Federal Law Enforcement branch though. It just wouldn't have the large weapons of a true Coast Guard analog. Though again, as you get farther and farther from canon, that can change.

And that CIVILIAN Law Enforcement agency thing still hurts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:36 am 

And of coures one issue is where did they get FTL/grav from-- if it came from teh Lords of Kobol, it may be an example of a tech that they can reproduce, modify, and use-- but not one where they truly understand the underlying principles, which would also work to retard some sorts of tech growth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

TCT...

No insult or pain was intended.

My rant about the CG was because they stripped it away from Treasury and folded it under DoD/Pentagon direct control. Before, it had the masquerade that it was a highly armed LE agency and could perform certain tasks that the Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Army were prevented due to Posse Comitatus. They could go places and interact with people and have the understanding that they weren't "Navy Lite", but their own service with a command structure that didn't run though the Pentagon.

Whether that was how it was or not, I can't say. I just know that the Coast Guard officers and enlisted I dealt with when I had my own boat and when we had our larger cabin cruiser, were able to do things while operating under USCG jurisdiction that the Navy and other branches couldn't.

My father commanded a PT boat during WW2 (he and several of his Villa Nova classmates camped out at the recruiting station on 12/8/41 and were sent to OTC) and he had nothing but praise for the CG. In fact, I remember he and his COB talking one afternoon when we were visiting that some of the best small boat handlers they'd ever worked with were the Coast Guard crews they worked with here in the States and later when they deployed.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

cgray wrote:
And of coures one issue is where did they get FTL/grav from-- if it came from teh Lords of Kobol, it may be an example of a tech that they can reproduce, modify, and use-- but not one where they truly understand the underlying principles, which would also work to retard some sorts of tech growth.

I don't thing the LoK gave them technology in the same way that God gave Moses the 10 Commandments. ;-) They just don't seem the type to give a gift that would cause so much societal upheaval as FTL and grav. Imagine in Lady H if the LoK showed up and gave the Colonials resurrection technology... In our own history, there was a fair bit of immigration to the US prior to the age of steam, but once the steam engine and iron hulls became the standard and replaced sails and wood, it gave the population of Europe a chance to move en mass to the US and Canada. That in and of itself reshaped society on both sides of the Atlantic.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:18 pm 

I thought the CG was part of the dept of transportation before it became part of homeland security. The only time the CG is part of DoD is time of war.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:41 pm 

Kurt,

I know you didn't mean anything, hence the :P in my post. But Jeff762 is right, the Coast Guard has not operated under the DoD since World War 2. Even in Korean and Vietnam, we stayed under the Treasury or Transportation. We currently operate under Homeland Security along with FBI/CPB/INS and a whole alphabet of other departments. So our powers regarding Posse Commitatus are still in effect. We still conduct the same type of LE boardings we have before, but there is more focus on the Customs aspect around the country than before, instead of being confined to the southern waters.

We ARE far more open about our National Defense mission nowadays, and I think that leads to a lot of confusion. That mission has existed since the founding of the Revenue Cutter Service, but the focus on protecting critical infrastructure has been increased significantly since 9/11. This involves using much larger guns than people are use to seeing on CG vessels (2 to 3 M240s are now standard on small boats, with extra mounts for more M2s on patrol boats and cutters).

But anyway, this is way off topic.

-John

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:11 am 

kfeltenberger wrote:
cgray wrote:

I don't thing the LoK gave them technology in the same way that God gave Moses the 10 Commandments. ;-) They just don't seem the type to give a gift that would cause so much societal upheaval as FTL and grav. Imagine in Lady H if the LoK showed up and gave the Colonials resurrection technology... In our own history, there was a fair bit of immigration to the US prior to the age of steam, but once the steam engine and iron hulls became the standard and replaced sails and wood, it gave the population of Europe a chance to move en mass to the US and Canada. That in and of itself reshaped society on both sides of the Atlantic.

Well, I don't mean so much "gave" it, as it might have been left around in wreckage or landed shipos and eventually re-engineered. Perhaps at some point prior to the series, after they developed their own spaceflight, they found a ship or fragment of one that was left in orbit and went from there. It really of course depends on what type of landing they had-- there seems to be enough diversity that I'd argue that the 12 Colonies were all settled at roughly the same time (I hate the numbers for worlds such as Aquarius in the official maps).

But alternately, your suggestion that they may simply have hit some hard limits in the tech are equally valid.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

The population numbers don't work for me, especially Aquarius...that isn't a "Colony" as much as it is a well settled outpost. Unless the reason the population is so low is because the Cylons slagged all the arcologies and underwater cities, it just doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:22 pm 

None of the numbers really work, but Aquarius is especially off.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:21 am 

Quick qustion-- when I have the ship designs/art done should I post 'em here or in the ship forum?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:22 am 

Ship forum in the completed drawings section.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:30 am 

Having served in a National Guard unit (Army-Infantry) I may have some real world insight.

In the US the "Nasty Guard" is frankly a mostly part time organization. The training requirements are set by the Army or Air Force. The unit must 1st maintain a strength level and a readiness level. That is so the unit retains "Federal Recognition" and thus retains the US Governments' equipment and the members continue to get paid. They are also considered in the several States as the "Organized Militia" of the State and are authorized by the Federal Government to use the Federal owned equipment for "State Duty" when called to service for various reasons.

Reading Lady Hecate the EH had "Militias" on the various worlds such as Neverwhere. I am not sure if they were the same.

There is something mentioned in the US Code about a "Naval Militia" but the State I was in did not have one.

To be honest it takes time to bring Guardsmen/women go full on into combat up to speed to fight if needed. The mind set isn't there even in Reserve Units to go from the Plumbing company truck to immediate movement to contact (a nice way to say we are going out looking for the enemy) to find him/her and kill him or her.

If that kind of thing is tough as a simple straight leg Infantryman you can just imagine how tough it might be for a bunch of people to get into and man even a small gunstar and go forth and slay Cylons.

Not criticizing just 'splainin".

Or as we would say "It don' mean nothin'".