Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:11 am 

Hi guys, I thought it might be a good idea to follow tradition and start a new thread for discussing my "Earth Defence Force" ships page or my new "Pilgrimage to Earth" fanfic. Any questions or comments on either would be very welcome here - Thanks for taking an interest guys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:47 am 

Episode 2 now online, hope you all like it :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:37 pm 

Good story so far. A bit jumpy in some parts, but otherwise good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:35 am 

Thanks, could you elaborate on jumpy as I appreciate any feedback, and thanks for reading

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:37 am 

Working on episode 3 but my time is very limited at moment, will have some new ships soon to go with the story, mostly from scratch, so taking me a while, bear with me :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:04 pm 

Has anyone read this. As it's my first ever attempt at a fanfic I would really appreciate some honest opinions. I know it's far from perfect but some feedback would be really helpful as I don't know if it's a good read or just a pile of garbage!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:45 am 

Ivanho wrote:
Has anyone read this. As it's my first ever attempt at a fanfic I would really appreciate some honest opinions. I know it's far from perfect but some feedback would be really helpful as I don't know if it's a good read or just a pile of garbage!

Yes I’m reading it, 1 of only 2 fanfics I bother with (the other being LadyH) so that should tell you something from the start.

I’m still trying to work out the Cylons though, some parts of the story point to NBSG “we made them & they turned on us”, & other parts point to BSG “they sicked them on us”, this is probably a result of the start point of the story being well after it all happened & no real in-depth definition/explanation of who they are & how it all started.

But, apart from the Cylon issue, I quite like the story as a whole.

The “stealth” capability of your Genesis ship is actually something I’ve been working on for the scout ships in my RPG universe; stealth paint to obscure them from sensors (long range) & Holographic Camo to hide them visually, they can also deploy “noise makers” to create a sensor signature of their choosing & project the corresponding image via the holo projectors (getting close to the target where the stealth paint is less effective), today an asteroid to blend in for long term observation of a target, tomorrow a locally used cruise ship to transit an inhabited system unnoticed.

As for the travel times, I hope your factoring in the real world time shift compared to the time spent in near FTL transit, for example, the time it took to get to Pegasus & the fleet, it may have taken years for them, but decades, perhaps centuries (depending on how fast their travelling) would pass on Earth, take a look at LadyH’s “Earth Union” fleet, a few years passed (for them) in near FTL, but 2000 years passed for the universe.

All in all though, it’s a good story with lots of potential, I hope it all goes well for you. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:03 am 

Thank you so much for your input Electromage. Yes I do see your point about the time shift although I had theorised that as my story is supposed to be largely based on the original series FTL had only just been discovered on the new Phoenix fleet and the colonies were just getting to grips with this new technology.
Also if you recall in T.O.S they were crawling at a snails pace due to A - lack of fuel and B - allowing the slowest ships to stay in formation. I was aiming to have the colonies find earth eventually in the present time here on earth, but I have many episodes to do before that happens further down the line.
I do realise the Galactica was capable of light speed but this would have burned huge amounts of fuel and left the slower vessels trailing behind.
That said, your point is very wise and valid, I will need to factor that in so it all makes sense in real time - I must admit its not something I had given a lot of thought to.

With regards to the story line, if its solid and folks are enjoying it then I'm happy with that but I will take your advice on board. You've come to my recue again Electromage I owe you, thanks :D

I will get part 2 of "A new beginning" posted as soon as I can but really busy trying to fit in with work and family commitments so please bear with me on that - thanks guys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 am 

I am really enjoying this. Please keep up the good work my friend!

Mia x x x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:05 pm 

Hi everyone, I have finally posted "A new beginning part II" sorry it took so long but life keeps getting in the way!

Thanks for the feedback Electromage I have taken it on board and tried to fill in the gaps and explain events and timelines as you suggested.
Feedback welcome as usual, (please Kurt) hope you all enjoy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:02 am 

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this my friend. Bravo!

Mia x x x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:59 am 

Thank you so much Mia that means a lot to me xx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:18 pm 

Ivanho wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Electromage I have taken it on board and tried to fill in the gaps and explain events and timelines as you suggested.

And done very well at that.

[spoiler] Yay, Apollo's the boss now, and Double Yay, Starbuck didn't get left behind on some rock at the ass end of the universe! :D [/spoiler]

Keep up the good work! [insert Thumbs Up Smilie we don't have]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:09 am 

Thanks very much I'm glad you like it, and thanks for the advice as always

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:58 pm 

Following the heartbreaking news of the passing of Richard Hatch I wanted to mention the fact that Apollo was about to feature very prominently in my story - I will endeavour to do justice to his memory - rest in peace and thanks for the memories Richard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next