Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 am 

Battlestar Galactica – Beyond the Heavens:

I posted the first two chapters on my TOS BSG story, which follow Commander Adama and the Battlestar Galactica from the Fall of the Colonies to the end of their journey. I hope everyone enjoy my "retelling" of the class Battlestar Galactica.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:14 pm 

Allen I posted on your fanfic there but I thought you may want some feedback here as I'm always moaning I don't get enough - well here goes, I have read both of the episodes so far and though it's a great effort I feel you are in danger of breaching copyright having used some of the original dialogue from the original series - I understand this is just a lead in to the story as it unfolds but you need to be careful not to 'copy and paste' - I'm actually sad enough to remember the original dialogue almost word for word

Sorry to criticise - the idea and premise of your story is very good however

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:34 pm 

Ivanho wrote:
Allen I posted on your fanfic there but I thought you may want some feedback here as I'm always moaning I don't get enough - well here goes, I have read both of the episodes so far and though it's a great effort I feel you are in danger of breaching copyright having used some of the original dialogue from the original series - I understand this is just a lead in to the story as it unfolds but you need to be careful not to 'copy and paste' - I'm actually sad enough to remember the original dialogue almost word for word

Sorry to criticise - the idea and premise of your story is very good however

Hey Ivan, that is alright. I had heard the same criticism before. However, two points: 1) technically all BSG fan fictions breach copyright laws because you're using characters, setting, names, etc that doesn't belong to you or was created by you. Just like all fan fictions break copyright laws including your images. Just it not to critical it simply to stated a fact.

2) The story I want to tell is a "retelling" it mean takes the original series, which I love and tell it again with addition material present i.e. new scenes, characters, and episodes. After we get beyond the first few seasons everything will be my own dialogue.

I hope this clear everything up and I appreciate you're taking the time to replies both here and on fanfiction.net.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:51 pm 

Yes that's a very fair point Allen - I can confess to doing the same with my own fanfic - and yes I too prefer the original series and script to the new BSG (until it got stupid in the second series with Dillon and Troy)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:37 pm 

Ivanho wrote:
Yes that's a very fair point Allen - I can confess to doing the same with my own fanfic - and yes I too prefer the original series and script to the new BSG (until it got stupid in the second series with Dillon and Troy)

First, technically Galactica 1980 is counted as being it own spin-off series and is not as the second series of classic BSG.

Second, I like you prefer the original series. Those they are thing I like about the new BSG until it go stupid after Season 2.5

Third, while I used characters like Dillon and Troy in my series, Galactica 1980 is viewed by myself as being non-canon because I found it to be stupid. So there will be no super scout episodes in my classic Galactica fan fiction. I only count the original 24 episodes as "canon."

Nine of 10 episodes of Galactica 1980 are frack with only the "Return of Starbuck" being worth anything but since I have other plan for Starbuck it is also non-canon.