Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth Defence Force
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:24 am 

Here I've separated them to illustrate further

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:27 am 

Next the long range pod version

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:30 am 

The short range pod version, for low orbit of Terra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:32 am 

......and finally a size comparison chart of the Battlestar Galactica and the new Super Battlestar Pegasus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Very interesting concept, Ivanho, it reminds me of what I thought an evolved Proteus would look like. I do have a couple questions, comments, and suggestions... :-) You knew I had to have them!

1. Is it wise to have nuclear missile tubes layered between and within the flight and hangar decks? I have this image of the Japanese carriers at Midway after a good hit in those areas.

2. My rough estimate is that there are 148 Viper tubes on each side of the pod. Given the size, and the internal volume, wouldn't this be larger? I'm asking to get an idea of its force mix.

3. Why not relocate the bridge to the bottom of the pod and make it and the engine permanently attached? This would retain the utility of the design, but it would also give what is arguably a very high value target the ability to have "life boats" or, to increase the number of capital sized units and split enemy fire.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:24 pm 

Hah kurt I could kiss you sometimes your so on the money - and yes I knew you would take the bait lol.

With regards to your first point, yes I did give this a lot of thought and - well simply put the engineers did put it to a few warriors would they mind having their billets so close to the nukes, well, in the event of a battle they wanted them to be there to act as a deterrent for oncoming raiders, they are very visible from the cockpit of a raider or viper, and twelve feet of tilinium casing helps get the blast out of the range of the pods, besides which they are broadside nukes, activated only on nose contact.

Point 2 the tubes, you clearly haven’t been reading my fanfic you naughty man despite your promise, this is all explained in “City in space” think of the rack system from b and c where vipers are rotated three to a tube depending on whether they are on cool to fuel, ready to go or in the tube already.

Point 3 again read!!! It’s all explained in “Deathfall” think reusabilty- permanently attached does NOT work for the reasons I explain in that episode

Hey as they say on eBay thanks for watching and don’t forget to follow me on D.A cheers Ivan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 pm 

Think Kurt meaned the bridge attached to engine section, while keeping the pod modularity.
That way you could lets say, make a drydock set of pods in order to get a mobile drydock.
Without having to break everything down into small modules, that is.

Basically a cental spine on which to dock the pods.
Need crew bunks, anyway, you know.

ps: Fuel bunkers as well, since engine pods without fuel....

Last edited by vianca on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Ivanho wrote:
Hah kurt I could kiss you sometimes your so on the money - and yes I knew you would take the bait lol.

With regards to your first point, yes I did give this a lot of thought and - well simply put the engineers did put it to a few warriors would they mind having their billets so close to the nukes, well, in the event of a battle they wanted them to be there to act as a deterrent for oncoming raiders, they are very visible from the cockpit of a raider or viper, and twelve feet of tilinium casing helps get the blast out of the range of the pods, besides which they are broadside nukes, activated only on nose contact.

I'm more worried about incoming fire detonating them in their tubes than what people think or feel. ;-)

Ivanho wrote:
Point 2 the tubes, you clearly haven’t been reading my fanfic you naughty man despite your promise, this is all explained in “City in space” think of the rack system from b and c where vipers are rotated three to a tube depending on whether they are on cool to fuel, ready to go or in the tube already.

Given the last couple classes, and the one I'm taking right now, I don't have much free time, and I was lucky to get the last chapter of Lady H finished.

As for the racks...ok...even though that seems to be a disaster waiting for a battle...

Ivanho wrote:
Point 3 again read!!! It’s all explained in “Deathfall” think reusabilty- permanently attached does NOT work for the reasons I explain in that episode

Hey as they say on eBay thanks for watching and don’t forget to follow me on D.A cheers Ivan

I understand the "resuability" idea. However, the extra bridges would also serve to operate as emergency backups for the main bridge on the battlestar proper as well as operating as I already mentioned. I guess I just don't see the utility of going through all the design work and expense to design something so large and complex, and then add additional complexity with removable engines and bridge. The engines would need to be properly balanced and aligned when attached.

Anyway, those were my thoughts. ;-)

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:54 am 

Thanks for your thoughts Vianca and Kurt, unfortunately duty calls and I’ve got to go to L.A but I’ll respond when I get some down time in my hotel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:21 pm 

Hi Kurt, Vianca and all, as promised I am going to try and address all the points raised.....

I'm going to take your first point first Kurt, yes I am prepared to concede having those silo's so close the crew quarters was probably a bad idea, that said, wherever you situate them on a ship they will be just as vulnerable surely, for example if you look at many of the designs drawn by 'Canis' and commissioned by yourself there are many where silo's are situated close to where I envisage the bridge and C.I.C to be, to me that's even worse, to lose your entire flag officers in one fell swoop if a nuke happened to score a direct hit on said silo's, but I've decided to move them atop.

Point 2, I'm afraid I'm not really clear on what your asking, are you saying there should be more tubes, well no, in my new Super Battlestars there are six hundred vipers, there are four hanger bays, two on each side one above the other, there are six complete squadrons in each bay of twenty five vipers per squadron, hence 150 vipers per bay, twenty four squadrons in all, don't forget this beast is 2.57 kilometres long or 1.6 miles compared to the Galactica at 2.9 kilometres or 1.3 miles, as I said the largest Battlestars ever constructed, that's why I have called them a 'City in Space'. They are able to house full communities on board should the need to escape Terra occur heaven forbid. Please remember I am using the rack system as in B & C.

Point 3 yes, this one is a very good point made by yourself and Vianca and I agree totally, it would indeed make much more sense to construct fully demountable pods with permanent engines, Tylium storage bunkers and permanent C.I.C and bridge

Vianca, your point on crew bunks I have already covered, please refer to the drawing I did with explanatory notes on page 10 of this thread showing exactly where both the officers and warriors quarters are.

So..... this is what I have come up with;

Notice I have slightly raised the pods as the engines made her look heavily pregnant and I've tried to negate that a little.

....and here's the carrier

Hope this helps, thanks for your input guys :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:34 pm 

Can I ask Kurt, would it not have been better to move this conversation to my discussion thread to save cluttering up this one, bearing in mind I got admonished by a member for bumping someone's thread, quite correctly! honestly where's a decent site admin when you need one :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:06 pm 

Ivanho wrote:
......and finally a size comparison chart of the Battlestar Galactica and the new Super Battlestar Pegasus

Any size comparison with a Mercury class, by change?
Then I would know how she stacks up to some of the larger (but not largest) ones made on this site, quite a while back.
Am a bit currious, you know.
Ivanho wrote:
So..... this is what I have come up with;

Notice I have slightly raised the pods as the engines made her look heavily pregnant and I've tried to negate that a little.

....and here's the carrier

Hope this helps, thanks for your input guys :D
Still, she looks nice.
Though should you not have taken a reversed pictured engine pod for the pods?
Now it looks like you mounted a top one on the underside.
While it can work, for some reason it borders me.

Mayby the lack of any support bracings or so, I don't know, something seems off, for some reason.
Or could it be the lack of a (side) bulge in the top view of the pods???
You have to keep the Viper flightpaths clear, afteral, so a / \ seems logical with that in mind, more room clearing space.

Anyway, good work, keep it up.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:17 am 

Hi Vianca, to answer your question on size comparison a mercury class Battlestar is approximately 5,872 feet long or 1.789 kilometres (1.11 miles)

My version of the Galactica is 2.09 kilometres or 1.3 miles
My Super Battlestar Pegasus is 2.57 kilometres or 1.6 miles
Therefore a mercury comes in third largest just short of my version of the Galactica but quite a bit smaller than my Pegasus.

As for your second point, yes maybe it does look a little off, but please bear in mind I threw that together quickly just to give you and Kurt an idea of what it may look like, but I can assure you those engines are not top ones, they are bottom engines but I can definitely tweak it when I have more time, very busy at moment with home and work, I'm in L.A at the moment on a layover and I want to get some rest before feeding those hungry passengers later, (I'm air crew)

I don't quite understand your point on support bracings, you and Kurt suggested I should make the bridge and C.I.C permanent on the pods so why would there be support bracings on a structure that has been made in one whole piece
As for any engine bulge, the engines are narrower than the flight pods so are not visible from above

Hope this helps, and I hope your still reading my fanfic, all the best, Ivan :D

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:33 am 

Hi Vianca, as you suggested I have tweaked those engines a little, I've trimmed them down and removed the top intakes, hope it looks better now. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

It meets with Marcel Dassault's approval..."If it looks good, it will fly good".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next