Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Odin Class Heavy Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:52 pm 

This is the next phase in my reboot. Based on the Warlock space frame, this ship also boasts an enhanced engine
output to handle the extra mass of the enlarged hull design, added lateral defense batteries, increased weapon
armament, and the addition of ventral launch tubes for the deployment of mines or MODS (micro orbital defense
satellites) mostly used for defending newly developed colonies or makeshift military bases until permanent
defenses are in place. It is still undecided whether this next design will compliment or replace the Warlock class
destroyers.

Post subject: Re: Reboots
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:34 pm 

NICE!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:23 am 

I like it,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:21 am 

Lovely :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:33 pm 

Very nice :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:51 am 

Wow! Nice work.

RIP, CanisD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:35 am 

Very impressive indeed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:36 pm 

Much appreciated, thank you :) I hope to do more soon - just hard to find the time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:57 pm 

Woooooow You make me feel such a noob with these magnificent drawings.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:06 pm 

One thing I noticed that bothers me is that that your hull plate segments are not equally spaced on your Oden and Warlock.
Maybe it's just my OCD talking. See modified image below.

I also looked around for more pictures of the warlock and I found this nice model made by 2753Productions on deviant art that I think you might have used for a reference for your warlock (see link below). Or maybe both he and you were referencing another image out there somewhere.

https://www.deviantart.com/2753producti ... -201330642

He also didn't seem to have perfectly equal spacing of hull plate segments, but his are much less noticeable, or seem to have a purpose like his narrow segment right before the bend in the ship profile allowing the edge of that segment to line up with the change in geometry. Your plate that has the 114 on it could have been divided along that bend too.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Real warships aren't always symmetrical; I think it adds something to the design so long as it's balanced.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:00 am 

Yes I agree, it’s also worth noting that, as in conventional wet navy vessels it’s not always possible to position bulkheads or hull sections where you would wish them to be. This may be due to the size of the rooms needed inside, for example the engine rooms would be huge in comparison to other sections of the craft and by definition their bulkheads would be thicker but further apart, conversely the crew quarters would be much smaller and therefore the bulkheads could be closer and would not need to be as thick as the strength would come from their close proximity.
Another point is that, as Kurt said, most vessels, be they military or civilian are asymmetrical in design, even the human body is asymmetrical.

On another note, I love the designs personally and yours too DD

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:52 pm 

By having different hull sections size you increase the logistical problem of maintaining your ships as your support has to provide a replacement for that exact piece, no other will fit, and it's not like you just take a slab of metal and cut it to size, there would be mounting points that line up with structure underneath that have to be in the right spot at the correct angle etc.

Whereas if you had the panels of the same size thoughout, your support chain can stock up with multiple hull panels that can just be fitted in place and you're done.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:05 am 

Well, actually probably not.

You wouldn't want a single piece of armour that large because it wouldn't be as strong as segmented armour of the same size. The segmented armour would have supports closer together which would spread the impact forces over a larger area of the hull. Plus, they would be so much cheaper to make and replace compared to such massive single piece armour plates. Another advantage to this is that you only need one size of armour plate to service every ship in the fleet and any position on that ship.

They would have to be made up of smaller segments, but at this scale you wouldn't be able to see the demarcation.

Its probably best to assume that the segment lines are there to allow sensors to see past the armour, heat radiation, or passages for life pods.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:10 pm 

I personally can't explain the difference in plate sizes... I just used this as a reference which is the same

https://www.deviantart.com/2753producti ... -201330642