Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:17 am 

Some questions I can’t find answers for on the net.

Did the Republic Navy field Venator and/or Victory Star Destroyers before the outbreak of the Clone Wars, I would assume that if it did then numbers would be low.

If not what were the largest ships in naval service.

And then what would the standard issue Starfighter of the Republic Navy pre-Clone Wars.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 pm 

There was no "Republic Navy" prior to the Clone Wars. I think they had "Judicial forces" or something like that, supported by planetary defense forces.

I believe that their largest warships would have been the Dreadnaught heavy cruisers, but there may have been larger transport or other logistical ships.

I dont really think that there would have been a standard starfighter, as none of the major Judicial craft could carry starfighters. The dreadnaughts didn't, the Consulars didn't, the CR-70's and 90's didnt. They probably just would've used whatever the local defense forces had on hand.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:08 pm 

I think prior to the Clone Wars there was some kind of Galactic Naval Treaty that warships couldn't exceed 600m in length, the Lucrehulks get around it cause they are armed merchant ships, although that's a loose distinction.

Dreadnoughts did have hanger bays, the ones described by Zahn, which is the earliest description of a Dreadnought had a hanger big enough for the Falcon to land in.

Having read around I agree, there was no Republic Navy at all, planets and sectors were expected to provide their own defence forces which could then be co-opted by the Republic if the situation warranted and taken to nearby hotspots.

The Judicial Forces cleary operated Consular-class corvettes and most likely a force of the Military version of the Consular, the C-70 Charger which is referred to as a retrofit of the Consular but sounds like a varient instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

There have been a couple recent videos on the Republic Navy pre/during/post Clone Wars over on YouTube (Eckhart's Ladder, IIRC, and one or two others); they might help.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook