Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Honoring David Briedis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:09 am 

Hello,

Greetings to all on the Wolf Shipyard forums! I'll occasionally lurk on this site but rarely post. The last time I posted here was only when we lost Dave, and even then I had only just created an account. I had the honor of knowing Dave for over 2 decades personally. We met locally here in Columbia in 1993 when I was a teenager during a game of Battletech he was running. He, my father Rick Raisley of the HeavyMetal Battletech programs and I became fast friends. We got heavily involved in the playtesting of rules for Battletech and Mechwarrior, and made many rules ourselves. He also created the Iron Cheetah battlemech, a fierce machine!

Fast forward to 2019. Battletech is again in full swing trying to capture new people with new boxed sets including fantastic miniatures! Dave would have loved these! There is a new Battletech Kickstarter called Battletech: Clan Invasion. I have pledged $450 on this campaign to get all of the miniatures on offer, but mostly to honor our late fearless leader. You see, at the $300 pledge level you can make a canon character to be used in future. This is actually intended to be the a character of the backer. I do not want this. My father is already canon in the Battletech Universe (Dr. Rick Raisley of Team Banzai) and I have no desire to be honored in such a way. The Kickstarter can be found here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/45 ... n-invasion

I'll finally get to the point and I'm sure you have already figured this out. I want to make Dave a canon character. This is where I am requesting for your help! He had a couple names of personas he played for the couple of factions he was in. I ran a Mechwarrior RPG campaign for more than 10 years. His character's name was Tadanobu Asano (I think he liked the actor by the same name), an ex House Kurita Mechwarrior. He also had a name Alanis Showers, a Smoke Jaguar Mechwarrior. His last (the name escapes me at the moment but I can revise later) was a Clan Wolf Mechwarrior. If anybody knew Dave, he was Clan Wolf. The trouble with naming Clan Mechwarriors is that they have a first name, and then are awarded a bloodname (last name based on previous honored warriors in the clan). He was also heavily involved with House Kurita as he was very fascinated with Japanese Culture, so that could be a possible other faction.

The trick is at this point, if he is going to be a canon character, I don't want to use just one of those names. Nobody (but us perhaps) would know exactly who they are and that is no way to honor somebody. That is why I was considering using part of his name, or handle. Some names we considered are as shown below.

David "Canis" Asano
David "Canis" Dirus
Mechwarrior Canis (Insert Bloodname) of Clan Wolf (My personal favorite so far) See below Bloodnames
Carns
Radick
Sender
Vickers
Ward
oh, and of course Kerensky. Kerensky is probably the most honored Bloodname in the Clans as it is the name of their founder.

So, thank you for reading my long winded and quite rambly post. Let me know what you guys think of the names, and possibly any ideas for new names.

Thanks a ton!

Christopher Raisley