Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My vicious employer
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:34 pm 

Hi guys, please forgive my asking but if any of you can spare the time to share the hell out of this on any social media platform for me I would really appreciate it. I’ve checked with Kurt and he’s fine to allow

“On 15th June, if my employer has their way I will be made redundant from the job I love after 27 years of loyal service. Redundancy notices are to be issued to 43,000 of my colleagues: the entire workforce. Yep, you heard right!

31,000 "lucky" former employees will then be offered re-employment on a far inferior contract that the company has wanted to enforce since 2010. For me, this would represent a 50% pay cut. Again, you heard right!

This is to be accompanied by an increase in productivity of 25%, not to mention far inferior T&Cs and, basically, a zero-hours contract.

All of this is with a backdrop of our CEO's bonus of £3.2 million in March this year; he’s been paid £33 million over the last 9 years. For the financial year '19/'20, the company I work for made a near record-breaking operating profit of £1.9 billion. I received no bonus; not a penny. Yep, you heard right!

The company I work for has the biggest cash reserves of any airline on this planet: £9 billion. During this "fight for survival", the company I work for is in the process of spending £1billion buying another airline. You heard right!

Nobody is saying we shouldn't all do our bit and take a shared responsibility approach as we ride this storm. However....! The company I currently work for absolutely refuses to negotiate. Period! You heard right!
#BAbetrayal

Post subject: Re: My vicious employer
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think you're alone; this has become the nature of megacompanies; use the minions as if they were grist in the mill, take the golden parachute, and repeat as often as possible.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:21 am 

Thanks for you support kurt, that’s what we all intend to do, trouble is they want to give the minimum severance allowed by the government which I’ve Calculated to be at best £16,400 - that’s for 27 years loyal service, a f......g pittance.
Ironically they were offering severance three years ago and I would have got nearly 30 grand. Wish I’d took it back then and moved on but who knew!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:07 pm 

I worked for two French big chemical companies in my life that operated a "strategic redeployment" as they called it and moved from chemicals to pharmaceuticals and closed some plants they had no use anymore. Both times, big American companies were interested and bought the sites. After a few years, they closed them, taking with them the machines and patents (two less competitors they said...). In total, 330 persons were left unemployed.
This is a world full of sharks eating the smaller fishes. Only one goal: making as much money as possible.
I moved from chemicals to metallurgy, programming and using CNC machines. I had to stop after a few years because of health problems.
I am now one of four employees who work in/for my little village. I earn half the salary I had previously but I am very happy: we are a very good team, five minutes drive and four years to go before retirement. That's now a good life for me.

I hope you will find another company to work for if you have to go Ivan.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:20 pm 

Thank you Kasero I appreciate that. My brother is a metallurgist and he has had it happen to him twice, once by an American company and once by a German, but fortunately he’s able to work from home as he’s in the R and D side.

For me I just don’t know but I’m glad to hear you found peace after your “strategic redeployment”

We ain’t done for yet mate - I’ve been with BA for 27 years and at the age of 58 didn’t think I’d ever be needing to look for another job but c’est la vie

Stay safe and Bonne chance

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Ivanho wrote:
Thanks for you support kurt, that’s what we all intend to do, trouble is they want to give the minimum severance allowed by the government which I’ve Calculated to be at best £16,400 - that’s for 27 years loyal service, a f......g pittance.
Ironically they were offering severance three years ago and I would have got nearly 30 grand. Wish I’d took it back then and moved on but who knew!

We discussed who was important in business and what "the company" should do to keep them happy. The conventional thinking when the question, "Who is the most important person in the entire business process?", is asked, is often, "The customer is the most important person."

WRONG.

Let me say that again.

WRONG.

The most important person is every employee, most especially those who directly interact with the clients. Those people are the face of the company and ultimately determine how a client views the company - favorably to unfavorably, because they're often the only people the client deals with. Therefore, while it is always good to keep the customer in mind, things that would seem to be wasted overhead costs - on-site daycare for employee's children, grocery and shopping services, parcel acceptance, flexible hours, open door policy, employee advisory councils, profit sharing, on-site cafeterias with qualify food and professional chefs - suddenly become motivators. You now have a workforce that wants to work for you, wants to excel, and wants to carry the company forward because they see in a very tangible manner that as the company prospers, so do they.

When I was working with Yahoo in 2008-2009, I had occasion to spend time at their campus in San Jose, CA. Coming from a small city environment with a traditional office culture, I was amazed at what I saw. Employees had a stipend they could spend at the company store, they had a cafeteria that boasted Micheline rated chefs that prepared everything from All American cuisine to Asian, Middle Eastern, African, European, and South American, and it was all out of this world. And it cost next to nothing for the employees to eat there.

The pure capitalist in me cringes at the expenses this incurs, but the employee and personnel manager in me applauds it. By the time my tenure with Yahoo was coming to an end, they were pretty much on the downward spiral that would see them lose almost all their market share and leave them with one profitable product that they managed to screw up in the end (Yahoo! Groups...I have some cringeworthy stories about that...) However, before things took a turn for the worse, while they had turnover (there's always a shinier startup), the traditional issues that HR had to deal with (bad behavior, policy infractions, etc.) was almost nil. The employees wanted to work there and when you interacted with them (except for the idiot PM Seema...I think she was on a stupid drip or freebased crystal stupid...) were happy, motivated, and wanted to be there.

I mention all of this to draw attention to how things could be and going forward another decade or so, how they most likely will *have* to be if a large company (or even a smaller company) wants to remain competitive and attract the best employees...who will them in turn treat the customers as if they are the "most important person" in the company. BA seems to have taken a massive step back to the bad old days...or...things are much more dire than anyone is daring to mention. One of our major airlines just walked away from all their B777s, and despite assurances that no US flagged airline will go under, I have my doubts. They may not go under, but as it appears BA is trying to do, there may be mergers and acquisitions.

In closing, I am coming to the strong belief that I really don't want to go back to work for someone, I want to be my own boss. A friend asked me what I would like to do, and my answer floored her. With the resources, I'd like to open an 18th century themed restaurant that prepared and cooked food based on how it was done during the 1700s and early 1800s, have a little store that sold fresh foods, and then have a larger store that sold everything you needed to homestead or live off-grid. And each and every employee would be family; I'm entrusting them with my dream...

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:38 pm 

You make some excellent points there Kurt, just so you know I have read but a bit under the weather today so going to get an early night but I will be sure to give you my thoughts tomorrow, I really appreciate your support, till tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:03 am 

Thanks for your input Kurt, the company has over nine billion in cash reserves and is in the process as we speak of acquiring another airline for something like 1.1 billion. Our CEO has pocketed 33 million in wages and bonuses in the last ten years.
Our airline is part of a group called AIG (international airlines group) which includes Iberia, Aer Lingus, Finnair and a few smaller airlines, BA made more profit than all the rest combined, yet unbelievable as it may seem it’s only us that have been targeted for redundancy. We are the cash cow for all the other airlines , we are the engine pulling the whole train behind us.
Personally I see the best way out of this mess is for the government to step in and at least part nationalise BA and bring in their own directors, otherwise it’s just a case of hoping our union can secure us a decent severance package.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:16 am 

Kurt, since you mentioned cooking from the 1700's to the early 1800's, this youtube channel might hold your interest.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

They do a lot of dishes from that period.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

LOL! Great minds! I've been following Jon for years...and having cases of midnight munchies ever since!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:31 pm 

#BAStopThinkAgain

Please share on Twitter for me, thanks