Wolfs Shipyard Forum

The new forum for Wolf's Shipyard
It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Current Events - Riots
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,

I want to take a moment and share a note I sent out to a group I host regarding the current civil unrest here in the United States (and from what I'm seeing, Canada as well). The legalities I touch on are Pennsylvania specific, but I would urge anyone who reads this to research their local laws and ordinances.

If you take nothing else out of this post, it should be this: Stay aware, keep your eyes and ears open, listen to your instincts, and avoid known or potential hotspots.

Kurt

Folks,

One of the common discussions I've seen among some friends is "what is SHTF going to look like?" That's quickly followed by, "What will cause SHTF?" I think it is is safe to say that all we need to do is turn on the television or check the news online to see the "SHTF" in real-time.

Over the past four days we've seen several major cities descend into chaos, people blocking main traffic arteries, and a level of violence that hasn't been seen since the 1960s, if then. Most Americans have been lulled into a false sense of security by believing those events were consigned to the past or that it "can't happen here".

The evidence is proving those assumptions wrong.

Here in Central PA, we're a generally rural region with a few dense urbanized areas (Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Reading), so it could be thought that the violence is far away and that we don't need to be on guard. That's not a good mindset to get into.

Consider these points:

1. I-83 runs from Baltimore north to Harrisburg.
2. I-81 runs from the deep south, through Harrisburg, north to Scranton and then into New York State.
3. I-78 runs west from the New York City/Jersey City metropolitan region through Easton, Allentown, and into Harrisburg.
4. I-76 runs west from the Philadelphia area through Harrisburg and then east from Pittsburgh and points west.
5. US Route 30 also runs west from Philadelphia and west from the Pittsburgh area

When things in the cities get too "hot", or if the rioters/insurrectionists simply decide to go after soft targets, all roads lead to Central PA.

With all that said, I strongly urge everyone to do the following:

1. Make sure your car has a full tank of gas and don't let it get below 2/3rds before you plan to refill.
2. Go through the emergency supplies you keep in your car and make sure that they're seasonally appropriate, adequate in quantity, and are current and unexpired.
3. Make sure your go-bag/Bug-Out-Bag is up to date.
4. Make sure you have copies of all vital documents in your bag.
5. Think through scenarios that could/would make you consider evacuating.
6. If you have weapons, make sure they're in good order.
7. Reach out to your neighbors and discuss the situation. It could be that you all become "Korean Grocers" to protect your homes/neighborhood.
8. If your plan is to relocate, secure hard-copy maps and have pre-planned alternate routes to get there. If you're traveling in multiple vehicles, make sure everyone has copies.
9. Test your communications.
10. Stay aware and trust your gut feelings. Those instincts have served us well for thousands of years, don't ignore them because we're "civilized".

Do I think anything will happen that will necessitate anyone here having to evacuate? No, I don't; Central PA tends to be rather level headed and being several days into the crisis I think that what took the us (both us and the government) by surprise won't happen again. I could be wrong, that's why I'm prepared and I urge everyone else to do the same.

One of the people I follow on YouTube was called out at the beginning of the Coronavirus pandemic for accepting a paid sponsorship from a survival food company and also urging his viewers to prepare and stock up. His comment was along the lines of, "If nothing happens, you have food for the summer when you don't really want to cook. But...if something does happen, you'll be able to eat instead of fighting over the last can of beans."

In closing, I want to strongly suggest that you apply for your PA License to Carry a Concealed Firearm as soon as possible at your local Sheriff's office unless you already have one. This will protect you in several ways; first, you can legally carry a concealed firearm (even though PA has open carry, it is always better to be concealed). Second, and more important for our current situation, is that it allows you to legally carry a firearm during a declared emergency, which is what we're currently facing.

Some may say, "The 2nd Amendment is all I need!" or "I can Open Carry in PA!" Second point first; in a declared state of emergency, the open carry laws are suspended. First point, never argue law with a cop along the road. The time and place for nuanced arguments is in a court, not during an emergency. Your goal should be to be there for your family and those who depend on you, not sitting in a jail cell. I may not agree with it, but I recognize that there's a time and place to plant and defend your flag.

Having a valid PA License to Carry allows you to continue carrying during the emergency. See this blog post from one of the preeminent firearms law firms in the country (and they're here in PA): https://blog.princelaw.com/2012/10/29/h ... surprised/ This is the law they referenced: https://tinyurl.com/s6107

We are living in perilous times; from contagions that we don't understand to overzealous politicians exerting excessive authority, to rioters and looters in our streets and neighborhoods. I'll leave you with this: Keep your eyes and ears open, trust your gut, and don't worry about being shamed by the people who don't matter for doing what you feel is necessary.

Stay safe!

Kurt

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:05 am 

Would someone thell me what SHTF stands for please?
Seeing the situation from very far and from somewhat non-partial TV news, what happens in North America seems to be quite serious.
You have good points here, Kurt: better be prepared to face any problem.
Take care of you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:46 am 

SHTF means Shit Hits The Fan. I was actually out side on the first night ( I live5 blocks from our capital. If you have to arm yourself use a shotgun any caliber with birdshot or less than lethal ammunition.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Gotta disagree with you...if you're going to use a lethal weapon, use it as a lethal weapon. Some people sit down when injured, but most won't. That said, at close range, that birdshot will do more damage that people expect.

Click the link to read Lady Hecate off line in PDF, .epub, or Kindle formats: http://www.bsg94.org/downloads/index.html
Click here for the Colonial Warbook for Lady H: http://www.photobucket.com/colonial_warbook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:40 pm 

Not if you skip shoot, aim 1 to 2 feet in front of the people in front of you ( on the ground) it will hit them below the kneecap. This was standard training for the National Guard. Also I was assigned the USARB at Fort Riley Ks, from 1976 to 1978, we practiced this along with riot control. This is considered less than leathal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:45 am 

Respectfully rit57, I disagree. If you have to breakout your firearm be prepared to use it in a lethal manner. Those that are employing violence, looting and destruction of property have zero regard for your life. I hate saying it, but right now that is a cold hard facts. Stay safe, keep your head on a swivel and be aware of your surroundings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Rit57...things have changed drastically with regards to use of force and methods of using lethal force since the mid 1970s. If you use a lethal weapon, it is a lethal weapon and any expectation that it will be something less than that is negligence. If you want to use a less than lethal option, then that's what needs to be used; rubber projectiles, bean-bag rounds, TASER rounds, etc. Once you introduce live ammunition into the mix (M193/M855 ball, 9mm duty loads, etc.), no matter how you intend to use it, you're still using lethal force and the courts will view it as such.

I say this from training with LEOs, training them, and having to lecture on this for our classes over the past 20 years or so. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears have been shed developing the new protocols and standards. For example, when TASER first released their pistol shaped device, most departments had their officers wear it strong side right in front of their service weapon. This resulted in several high stress incidents where the officer drew what he thought was his TASER and instead wound up shooting the suspect with his duty weapon. Now the policy is to wear them cross draw on the weak side. Likewise, at one point less-than-lethal ammunition would be issued and the officers would load it into their shotguns. Again, heat of the moment and the suspect winds up eating a chest full of buckshot. Now, most departments (not all, there's still room to sue) use specially marked weapons with high visibility stocks to indicate a dedicated weapon for less-than-lethal ammo.

The current thinking, which I wholly agree with, is that when someone draws a firearm, it's lethal force.

At one point, I thought as you do. Then I went through several sessions of Simunitions shoot-house training and that completely changed my perspective.